Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Nov 2, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsoksirhc
    I agree. Comparing the matter that the big bang and the universe was born from with a fictional character doesn't make sense. I guess I'll just start acting like some of the people here and refuse to see that while somthing isn't important to me, it may be to someone else.

Hey I can think of other people who saw things they didn't like as inferior. They were called nazis.

Comparing people who don't believe in evolution to nazis... that is absurb for one but childish. It seems to me you are the one that can't handle differentiating opinions?
    silentrascal Posts: 194, Reputation: -2
    -

Nov 2, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Comment on mountain_man's post
    Very much in agreement. Good response!
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by silentrascal
    Obviously your blind devotion to science as the end-all/be-all of answers is a form of worship. So now you're saying science is nothing?
    Scientists are committed to thinking things through based on evidence--information that can be measured accurately and verified. That is, everybody sees the same thing. So if I go outside and measure how bright the sky is today and 50 other people measure it and get the same number, we can all agree on how bright the sky is. This is the same way everybody operates normally every day.

If every time you take a certain freeway, you get caught in heavy traffic, you'll conclude that it's a bad way to go and take another route. It doesn't matter whether you are a Christian or an atheist. So science is just taking that way of thinking and formalizing it. You can call it "worshipping" science, but it's not any different from the way other people think in their practical day to day lives.

Where scientists differ from believers is in NOT taking some things on faith. If a friend tells us that the freeway is always clogged at 4 o'clock but it never is when we go on the freeway, we'll ignore their assertions instead of taking it on faith, EVEN if the friend says that God told them it was true.
    Asking
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 10:45 AM
    And the same can apply to you, once you consider how little sense it actually makes.
    I rest my case
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Nov 2, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man
    Comparing people who don't believe in evolution to nazis....that is absurb for one but childish. It seems to me you are the one that can't handle differentiating opinions?
    Hmm. I'd say that I handle other's opinions pretty well. Especially since I've already stated that I don't mind if others believe in God. What I do have a problem with is when people say that my beliefs are insignificant. For example, if someone were to say that the substance that the universe were born from doesn't matter, and that their beliefs are more important, for example saying that God can exist when matter couldn't have. I didn't compare anti-evolutionists to nazis. I compared people who can't accept that others have their own beliefs to nazis. If you don't believe me, you can go read my post again.
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Nov 2, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsoksirhc
    Hmm. I'd say that I handle other's opinions pretty well. Especially since I've already stated that I don't mind if others believe in God. What I do have a problem with is when people say that my beliefs are insignificant. For example, if someone were to say that the substance that the universe were born from doesn't matter, and that their beliefs are more important, for example saying that God can exist when matter couldn't have. I didn't compare anti-evolutionists to nazis. I compared people who can't accept that others have their own beliefs to nazis. If you don't believe me, you can go read my post again.

The nazis attempted to whip out an entire race of people and did pretty well at that, so to compare anyone on this board to nazis is childish and absurb.

I believe in God, you don't; we obviously will not get any farther than that with each other. Take care
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    It seems a bit silly to me for someone to say "If i believe in reincarnation, I will be reincarnated, and if I believe in a final death, then I will have a final death". Both Christianity (within it's denominations, at least) and Atheism are fairly clear about what happens after death, and are very clear that it will happen to everyone.

I don't wish to apply the "salty bag of water" to everyone, since, if it's true, it applies regardless or not of whether I want it to. People can believe as they wish but I don't believe that what they believe will change squat.

I havent heard of a religion that states that whatever you think will happen after death will infact happen exactly the way you believe. Although that might be a very nice religion to be a part of.

I wasn't sure about the 2 possibilities at all. I am only sure about one of them.
    I think maybe you misunderstand me. I'm not saying that the content of one's belief about what happens after death actually determines what will happen to that person in the future. What I object to is the assertion, whether by believers or skeptics, that their formulation of the relevant distinctions and implied choices that face us as humans is the only possible formulation, and therefore that everyone else must accept and choose between the alternatives that they offer. The distinctions we make and the alternatives we allow may have nothing to do with what happens to us after we die, but they can make a huge difference in how we relate to each other in the meantime. That's what concerns me.
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by savedsinner7
    If evolution worked, wouldn't there be life everywhere since evolution states that the universe was created at once?
    If I thought your description of "evolution" was accurate, I wouldn't believe it either. Until you take the trouble to at least learn what the theory does and, equally important, does not purport to describe and explain, don't expect your arguments against it to be taken seriously by anybody who has actually studied it.
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 04:42 PM
    Basically "big bang" says that there was a big explosion from gases and whatever.......now how did those gases or materials come about? Were they simply always there? It offers no answers for that, just the blind conjecture that these things were there, they came together, and BANG.
    If I thought your description of "big bang" was accurate, I wouldn't believe it either. Until you take the trouble to at least learn what the theory does and, equally important, does not purport to describe and explain, don't expect your arguments against it to be taken seriously by anybody who has actually studied it.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 2, 2007, 04:50 PM
    >Thread Closed<
    NSKWanswers Posts: 6, Reputation: 1
    -

Jun 24, 2010, 01:14 PM
    Comment on firmbeliever's post
    What is your religon??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question: