Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackhowson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Laptop screen flickering
    Within the last month or so, I have noticed flickering on my laptop screen occasionally. Sometimes when I move the screen, it goes all bright and then returns to normal. As I said, this hasn't happened much, probably only about 10 times in the last month. However, when I turned it on today, it went a lot brighter than it had been before, and when I moved the screen to see if that was the problem, it did it again an then went away. It doesn't affect anything on my actual laptop, but it's quite unnerving having your screen looking like it's just about to break. Is there any sort of remedy to remove this flickering, has anyone had this problem before, and what do you suggest I should do?

Thanks, Jack Howson
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 20, 2007, 03:06 PM
    This is normally related to a hardware issue.
    The signal is sent to the screen via a ribbon cable, what you are seeing is a slight short circuit in this cable.
    Problem is to repair it is expensive and it's normally cheaper to replace the whole screen.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 03:32 PM
    This may be the simple stupid answer, but make sure your power cable is plugged all the way into the laptop. I had a laptop for work a few years ago, and if the cable wiggled a little loose, the screen would flicker. If it only happens when you move the SCREEN and not the laptop base, I'm probably wrong, but if I'm not, hey, quick fix! :)
    jackhowson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Thanks Curlyben and jillianleab. In response to Curlyben's reply, I really hope it isn't a hardware issue, as you said it could be expensive. I'm still covered under warranty though, would is be advisable to contact them, and would they repair it for free?
    However, I'm hoping that I've not done something so simple as plugging the power cord fully in, thanks jillianleab, I'll try that and hopefully it'll work - I really don't want to send my laptop in for repair, I've only just got it back. Anyway, thanks, and I'll see what happens and let you know.
    basscleff Posts: 27, Reputation: 0

Jul 28, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jackhowson
    Within the last month or so, I have noticed flickering on my laptop screen occasionally. Sometimes when I move the screen, it goes all bright and then returns to normal. As I said, this hasn't happened much, probably only about 10 times in the last month. However, when I turned it on today, it went a lot brighter than it had been before, and when I moved the screen to see if that was the problem, it did it again an then went away. It doesn't affect anything on my actual laptop, but it's quite unnerving having your screen looking like it's just about to break. Is there any sort of remedy to remove this flickering, has anyone had this problem before, and what do you suggest I should do?

Thanks, Jack Howson
    The backlight is going. They are hard to replace, but not expensive.
    You have 2 options:
    1) replace the whole lcd (including the lcd screen itself) eBay has the parts
    2) repair the backlight itself - lcdpart.com has the replacement backlight bulb

I've personally repaired about 50 lcd and backlights. It's not rocketscience, but it's definitely something you need to be mechanically incluided to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flickering laptop monitor [ 2 Answers ]

My gateway laptop sometimes has a flickering screen that I can sometimes get rid of by moving it back and forth. Help!

Laptop screen repair? Useful life of a laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an IBM Thinkpad X40. Have had it for 3 years Spilt liquid on the screen a while ago and now, although the screen works still, it has a kind of mottled tidemark effect and is dark in places (can also see where drops of water are permanently "stuck" behind the screen). Is this fixable?...

Dent in laptop screen [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, my dad bought me a very nice HP Pavilion Entertainment Laptop for Christmas, and I have been enjoying it greatly. Around a month ago, I noticed there is a small, half a centimetre dent-like mark in one part of the screen that makes the area it covers slightly darker. When I turn off the...

View more questions Search