Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Global Warming and Cattle Flatulence
    Well the consensus is in . Drive your SUV all you want to . But whatever you do ,don't eat that burger!!

Eating beef ' is less green than driving' - Telegraph

"2.2lb of beef is responsible for greenhouse gas emissions which have the same effect as the carbon dioxide released by an ordinary car travelling at 50 miles per hour for 155 miles, a journey lasting three hours. The amount of energy consumed would light a 100-watt bulb for 20 days. Most of the greenhouse gas emissions are in the form of methane released from the animals' digestive systems, New Scientist magazine reported."
    Yup the French ski resorts areall muddy due to cow farts . This may not be what the Global Warming Alarmists want to hear ;but PETA is ecstatic! James Hansen at NASA is said to working as we speak calculating an allowable level of sustainable farting consistent with a consensus global warming model and trying to determine if the methane levels on the Great Plains significantly increased with the domestication of the cow compared to a time when the wild Bison overpopulated the continent and ate all the trees saplings before they could emerge into a triple canopied forest .
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jul 20, 2007, 10:59 AM
    So... you can't let the cows live, because the methane from their farts is screwing up the environment. And you can't kill them for the meat because that screws up the environment. So what's the solution?

Answer: there is no solution. Because it's all bull$h!t. Or is it cow$h!t?

Elliot
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 01:28 PM
    So we're back to cow farts, huh? I'm sure you noticed the moonbats' positive spin on this...

Su Taylor, the press officer for the Vegetarian Society, told New Scientist: "Everybody is trying to come up with different ways to reduce carbon footprints, but one of the easiest things you can do is to stop eating meat."
    I guess that means I wouldn't have to worry if I'm eco-friendly in my grilling or not.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 01:40 PM
    Every time I hear some scientist going on and on about cow farts I think about the scene in Jurassic Park where Dr. Malcolm played by Jeff Goldblum remarks "now, that's a pile of sh*t." If animal methane was going to ruin the atmosphere - wouldn't it have happened millions of years ago when huge, leaf-eating creatures roamed the earth? Can you imagine the amount of methane a brachiosaurus could release? It must have sounded like a bomb going off.

I believe it is our job as good stewards to protect the earth. I also believe that the earth goes through natural cycles of warming and cooling and there are too many people trying to use this issue to forward their own political agenda.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2007, 01:46 PM
    I am still shaking my head and laughing. Now there has to be some bright scientist that will come up with a device to trap the methane and recycle it into something greener and cleaner for the enivronment. Can you see it now? Cows and bulls (not to be sexist) and of course, the steers too, being measured and fitted for methane trapping devices?

Souns like a sure fire grant proposal to me.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Actually, Shy, there is a guy doing this already! Well, sort of. You must not watch Dirty Jobs!

There's a guy who makes "cow pots";

CowPots - Biodegradable Planting Pot made from Composted Cow Manure. An innovative solution for horticulture.

Apparently he takes the cow poo and pushes it into a crazy contraption he made which functions a lot like a stomach. The "farts" from the "stomach" are used to heat his home.

So not quite like attaching tubes to cow butts, but using their poo to make power! I looked for a clip on YouTube, but it seems no one watches the show but me! :( According to imdb, it's supposed to be on Discovery tomorrow at 2:00pm. Set your TiVo, everyone!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2007, 04:59 PM
    The plains Native Americans did much of their cooking over buffalo chip fires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A global warming victim [ 11 Answers ]

Snowless in a warming world, ski resort in French Alps bids adieu Sigh... one more "cruel reminder," one ski resort down, one courageous decision, skiing will only be for the rich - are we doomed? Perhaps if we just dissociate ourselves from global warming like La Chappelle-d'Abondance is...

Another global warming tragedy [ 11 Answers ]

Warming causing gray whales to lose weight, say scientists I tried but could not find a photo of one of these skinny whales. But I have an idea, instead of a "fat tax" why not promote global warming as a way to combat obesity?

Benefits of global warming [ 26 Answers ]

Anyone catch this article a few days ago? But don't get excited... Like the scientists I'm still trying to figure this out. We could see both increased agricultural production and "planet-wide food" shortages, and both "mass flooding" with "planet-wide" water shortages. I wish...

The Great Global Warming Debate [ 2 Answers ]

First let me state that I don't hold ALGOR or his scientific credentials in high esteem. I recently did a Google search for "The Great Global Warming Swindle", and viewed a compelling 75 min video, and several others on both sides of the issue. The fact that CO2 is but .35% of the Earth's...

Global Warming again. Al Gore, SHAME on you! [ 20 Answers ]

Judge for yourselves: Urban Legends Reference Pages: A Tale of Two Houses To Al Gore, Richard Dreyfuss, Alec Baldwin and the rest of the likes of you: Move to another planet and quit your lying and fearmongering! ... rant over...

View more questions Search