Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmichaelgreen Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Paddle Wheel Riverboat-Branson Belle
    We are on a weeks vacation on lake Tablerock, Branson, MO. Several times a day we see the famous riverboat the Branson Belle. We are in an argument the paddle wheels serve no purpose and are just for looks. My party claims there is another source of power underneath the riverboat that propels the riverboat through the water. I'm firm that the paddle wheels actually propel the Branson Belle through the water with a rudder steer. Much research in their website has turned up nothing regarding the mechanical operation of the Branson Belle. Help me please. Mike
    jmichaelgreen Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 07:38 AM
    For those folks interest, please read the response from the Branson Belle's Captain: Mr. Green,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the propulsion of the Showboat Branson Belle.

To answer your question, YES, the paddlewheels are her only form of propulsion…she is a true sternwheeler! There are no propellers or 'screws' to propel the vessel through the water.

The SBB is a diesel electric sternwheeler, which means that the paddlewheels are driven by large DC electric motors. The diesel engines are attached only to generators to provide the electric power.

The Captain controls the wheels independently so that he can stop or reverse one wheel while the other is going forward to assist in steering the vessel. The Showboat is also equipped with steering rudders (one located just forward of each wheel) that are controlled electrically and powered hydraulically.

The SBB is equipped with one 350HP, AC driven, 36” tunnel thruster at each end, but they are only used for close quarters maneuvering, in extreme wind conditions.

Please feel free to contact me directly via return email if you have any other questions about our magnificent vessel…I love to brag about her!

Sincerely,

Captain Thomas A. Wood

Master and Operations Manager

White River Landing / Showboat Branson Belle

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Third wheel of an affair [ 16 Answers ]

I met this couple last summer in a college class and we got along very well so we continued being friends. I learned about them and found that their marriage is friendly, but shows no real emotional love. It seems that they stay with each other because they need each other for all the reasons that...

Up the creek without a paddle [ 1 Answers ]

I divorced last year and my ex stated and signed and reaffirmed that he was carrying medical insurance on me. I didn't think he was but called and they confirmed that this was true. Well now that its been over a year and Ive had MRI's and such and he has since remarried I have found out that he...

Tilt-wheel steering wheel problem [ 1 Answers ]

On my 1998 Buick Park Ave the tilt-wheel will no longer change positions. A couple of days ago I got in the car, adjusted the steering wheel and heard something Pop. Since then, the steering wheel will only stay in that position. Does anyone know how I might go about fixing this problem? ...

Up a Creek without a Paddle [ 2 Answers ]

On August 9, 2004 I found out I was pregnant by my boyfriend.  He left the following day on a police mission in Iraq.  I called him and told him while he was in the states, and all he could say was get an abortion and to move on with my life.  Now this isn't like him at all, he has three children...

View more questions Search