Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aston89 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 03:38 AM
    Courting & Dating- what's the difference?
    I'm unsure as to what the difference is? Can any one tell me the difference and which one you prefer/ have had experience with?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 20, 2007, 04:56 AM
    Courting is an old fashioned terminology used to describe two individuals interested in each other whereby the man would court the lady with a chaperone. So it would not apply now in our time.
    aston89 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 04:57 AM
    Really I still hear a few people pursuing courting...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 20, 2007, 05:02 AM
    I guess it all depends on what country you come from where social customs are much different then on the north american continent, say Canada and the US. I imagine different ethnic groups would observe 'courting' as a means of getting to know each other without being alone to do so.

I have never heard anyone I know say they are 'courting'. It would be archaic to do so.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 05:37 AM
    I have heard some people say courting when they meant dating. They tended to be older people/ just being silly.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 20, 2007, 05:39 AM
    From my perspective courting refers to someone trying to get someone to marry them. So its dating with the specific intent of marriage. Dating is just two people going out together to have a good time, but with romantic goals.
    snap-g Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 09:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aston89
    im unsure as to what the difference is? can any one tell me the difference and which one you prefer/ have had experience with?
    Not much.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 09:31 PM
    I agree with ScottGem on this one! However, I live in the south and there are a lot of people who use this word when referring to casual dating(mostly older folks). To me, the two words are virtually the same thing but when I think of "courting" I think of something that is more serious.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What's Going On, Dating? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a 19 year old guy and I'm gay. I work with this other kid who is 19, and I like him very much. He started telling everyone that he thinks I'm gorgeous and then we decided to get together and hang out. We started liking each other so much and I was really into him, we haven t had sex or...

What's the difference between... [ 8 Answers ]

Masturbation and intercourse? I ask because I heard that masturbation for guys can negatively affect them, so I wonder if that's the case how come the sperm I during the intercourse doesn't have the same negative effects? Its sperm in both cases so what's the big deal about masturbation? By...

What's the difference in fittings [ 6 Answers ]

Can someone please explain the difference between dvw and water pipe as it pertaines to copper pipe fittings I asked this a while back and got one answer that was still a little bit vague , or more likely I'm still a little bit dumb! I think it has to do with the way the fitting s couple up as...

What's the difference between a comitment ring and an engagement ring? [ 13 Answers ]

Can someone please help me here I was wondering what's the difference between a commitment ring and an engagement ring?

Difference between Volt & Wott [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone explain the difference between Volt & Wott with example ? I would be thankful to him/her if anyone can...

View more questions Search