Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NickoNZ Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 11:07 PM
    New 2yo cat in new home
    I was wondering if anybody would know about this - I got a 2 year old cat yesterday. She has come out from her hiding place a few times, but usually to go and sit in a different corner. She hasn't eaten anything or used her litter tray, and it's coming up to 24 hours now. I have been talking to her and spending time in the same room, just typing or reading etc, but she seems very scared. I know it's natural because of a big change but I really would like to know if there's anything I'm not doing, or am doing wrong? Thanks :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 19, 2007, 11:26 PM
    It sounds like you are doing everything right. Keep talking to her; let her hear your voice and see you sitting and moving.

Did you get her from a shelter? If so, call the shelter and ask about her personality and if they had any problems with her. If you got her from a family or person, ask them.

If she doesn't eat in a day or so, put out food from one of those small cans of (moist) kitten food or a can of Fancy Feast (minced beef is a favorite). Those usually smell so good, that I am tempted to take a taste or spread some on saltines!

Best wishes with her and keep us informed!

Jul 20, 2007, 02:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    It sounds like you are doing everything right. Keep talking to her; let her hear your voice and see you sitting and moving.

Did you get her from a shelter? If so, call the shelter and ask about her personality and if they had any problems with her. If you got her from a family or person, ask them.

If she doesn't eat in a day or so, put out food from one of those small cans of (moist) kitten food or a can of Fancy Feast (minced beef is a favorite). Those usually smell so good, that I am tempted to take a taste or spread some on saltines!

Best wishes with her and keep us informed!
    Hey, thanks for your reply!

I got her from a breeder, she was very smoochy and lovely when I visited her the first time and when I went to pick her up.

I gave her some wet food about 4 hours ago but so far she hasn't touched it, she's still hiding behind the chair. Been reading lots online and it all seems to say that some cats take a day, some take a week to come out of hiding when they get to a new home so maybe I just need to be patient..

Might need to try the Fancy Feast food though, I know what you mean about them smelling delicious :D

Thanks for your help, I will keep you posted on her progress :)
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jul 20, 2007, 07:10 AM
    I recently adopted,or shall I say he adopted me,a new cat.He was wild,and stayed on my back porch.I had to sit for short periods every day to get him to come to me.I had other cats that he had gotten attatched to, and I let him watch me rub and cuddle them.He finally would let me touch him only for a second.After about 3 months he will allow me to rub his belly,but still isn't quite sure about being held.Your cat will come around,since she has been domesticated.Sit close to her,and try a freshly opened can of tuna or chicken,she will be enticed by the smell.Good luck.:)
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jul 20, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NickoNZ
    I was wondering if anybody would know about this - I got a 2 year old cat yesterday. She has come out from her hiding place a few times, but usually to go and sit in a different corner. She hasn't eaten anything or used her litter tray, and it's coming up to 24 hours now. I have been talking to her and spending time in the same room, just typing or reading etc, but she seems very scared. I know it's natural because of a big change but I really would like to know if there's anything I'm not doing, or am doing wrong? Thanks :)
    Maybe some catnip would help calm her nerves.

Jul 23, 2007, 06:26 PM
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks for your replies!

Today she came out and had a quick explore of the hallway and lounge, then straight back under the bed. I guess it's progress though! She has been eating and using litter tray consistently which is a relief!

She's started talking to me at night, while I'm asleep, so I gently talk back to her and she replies to me, it's cute if not a little strange because she's dead quiet during the day!

I think once I go back to work tomorrow she will have the house to herself for 10ish hours, hopefully she'll do some more exploring.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 07:07 PM
    "She's started talking to me at night, while I'm asleep, so I gently talk back to her and she replies back to me, it's cute if not a little strange because she's dead quiet during the day!"
    Nick how sweet, my old tom talks to me my kids tell me I am crazy lol. It will be so nice for you to have a cat to come home to. Btw it was nice of you to look past the kittens and get an older cat. Hopefully tomorrow she will be happy to see you. When you return. Maybe you could bring her a cat treat. Also try to work with her natural curiosity, take a small item and tie it onto a long string and dangle and drag it behind you around corners and doorways. My cats think this is great fun and it is a good way to bond.
    Kriket34 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Well, Cats are usually very sensitive to big changes like moving, or being adopted. She should come around in a few days. In the mean time, just move slowly around her and make sure she has pleanty of clean water and food.
    Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat had 2 kittens they are 1 day old how long before my cat go's outside [ 7 Answers ]

My cat has just has 2 beautiful kittens she has been with them since she had them but she has come downstairs and seems to want to go outside they are just over 1 day old and both seem fine but I don't want my cat to leave them for to long. I'm not sure if she wanted to go to the litter tray as I...

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

Cat under Mobile Home [ 4 Answers ]

There is a cat under our mobile home. We had new skirting put on and somehow she got under there. We can not leave it open or other animals will go under the mobile. What to do to get it out. HELP!

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

Home Remedy For Cat Diareha [ 1 Answers ]

Is There Any Remedy For This Situation That You Can Make At Home... she Has Had This Since We Left Her At A Caretakers For 9 Days. Thaks

View more questions Search