Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Jul 19, 2007, 09:13 PM
    Matching trim in bedroom?
    Hi, we are redecorating the bedroom and have dark wood furniture that we like.

To match, we'd like to use dark base and crown moldings, window trim and closet doors.

However, the bedroom door (and door jamb trim) is light wood. It matches the 5 doors (light wood) in the hall. (The hall is small with lots of trim and doors in a tight space.)

What do we do?
    Do we: A) mix wood colors in the bedroom?
    B) replace to door with dark wood even though it doesn't match in the hall?
    C) Go with light wood throughout the bedroom, even though that doesn't match the furniture?

Any ideas would help!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2007, 11:36 PM
    Just my opinion, you could mix colors in the bedroom. But, I don't see a problem with finishing a door a different shade on the inside of the bedroom in order to go better with what is already in the bedroom. What functions for the hallway is for the hallway. And, what functions best for the bedroom is for the bedroom.

I am hopeful that others will come along to voice their opinions, also.

Jul 20, 2007, 12:02 AM
    Hey, thanks for the idea.

I've never seen anyone do this before. Is this a typical compromise? I'd love to see an example somewhere before I go and restain the inside of the door.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2007, 12:39 PM
    My upstairs bathroom door is like that. All the trim and the door in the bathroom is painted white. The other side of the door is stained and finished with a clear coat just like the rest of the woodwork upstairs. It just works. I don't have any pictures, though.

The outside edges of the door are also finished like the rest of the woodwork upstairs outside of the bathroom. I think that this helps for there to be a blend with the hallway and other rooms.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 20, 2007, 05:59 PM
    If The Room Your Decorating In Is Dark I Stain Or Paint The One Side Of The Door That Color As With The Trim, Id Keep The Hall Side Of The Jamb And Door The Light Color, As For The Edges Of The Door I Make It Dark,

Jul 21, 2007, 10:12 PM
    Anyone else out there want to weigh in?

Two-toned door?

Other options?
    cedwick Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Mixing wood colors actually look nicer than matching them! I heard it from a designer many times on trading spaces.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Matching revenues and expenses [ 4 Answers ]

The concept of matching revenues and expenses refers to what?

Zodiac matching [ 63 Answers ]

Just a topic off the serious matters for a change ;-) I was never really into zodiac stuff until about 5 years ago when I met an indian friend who told me that in India most marriages are arranged by matching signs, like water and water, fire and fire etc. Back then I was seeing an Aries and...

Skin-Matching Foundation [ 2 Answers ]

A couple of weeks ago I saw a commercial advertisement on TV about a new foundation that changes to the color of your skin once you put it on. Unfortunately I do not remember the brand and I cannot find it anywhere! Does anyone happen to know what I'm talking about? Thanks!!

Matching Coil - Trane XR-13 [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone give me a ballpark figure on the price of a matching coil for a new Trane XR-13 A/C?

Matching A/C units [ 7 Answers ]

Do I have to match the outside unite with the inside unite? I have a Rudd sys. Right now the heat pump outside is gone out. Do I have to replace with the same brand or can I go with an other brand? I'm in Dallas/Ft. Worth Tx. Do I need to go back with Heat pump or can I just go back with a a/c...

View more questions Search