Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2007, 05:59 PM
    Bush Tries to End PBS, The House says NO!
    House protects public broadcasting - CNN.com

The House on Wednesday evening overwhelmingly rejected President Bush's plan to eliminate the $420 million federal subsidy for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. The 357-72 vote demonstrated the enduring political strength of public broadcasting. The outcome was never in doubt, unlike a fight two years ago when Republicans tried but failed to slash public broadcasting subsidies.
    Iin a time when our nations writing and reading scores are at all time lows, Bush wants to eliminate a broadcasting company that teaches kids just how to do that.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jul 19, 2007, 06:07 PM
    I think there are more important things for the President to worry about than Sesame Street. I guess people forget the days before 1000 cable channels were available. I don't see the harm. I just tune them out if they have a show I don't care for. PBS should stay.:)

Bobby
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 02:17 AM
    My question is when they reintroduce the fairness doctrine will PBS be subject to it's terms ? Let's say for every Bill Moyer's bias report we have a Sean Hannity counterpoint.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 07:23 AM
    NK, is there some innate need to at least fudge the truth when it comes to Bush? He didn't try to "end PBS", he wants to "end the federal subsidy" for CPB, which accounts for about 15 percent of its budget. I'm all for it if PBS is not going to carry out its mission, which CNN acknowledges was "created the corporation in 1967 to shield public broadcasting from political influence." That it's failing in that mission is about as questionable as whether Donald Trump has bad hair.

the Corporation for Public Broadcasting has had a legal mandate to ensure "strict adherence to objectivity and balance in all programs or series of programs of a controversial nature."
    The opening lines of Bill Moyers' Essay; Beg Your Pardon, which aired on June 15, 2007:

Welcome to the Journal. Iraq is a bloody mess and getting bloodier every day. So what's been all the buzz this week among the people who took us to war from the safety of their beltway bunkers - I mean Washington's ruling clique of neoconservative elites? Their passion of the week is to keep Scooter Libby from going to jail. I'm not making this up.
    Please be my guest and highlight the "strict adherence to objectivity and balance" in those lines. After his 'welcome', he paints a bleak and bloody picture of Iraq, followed by criticism and ridicule, used a favorite liberal pejorative and ended with condescion - all directed toward conservatives/Republicans. I resent the fact that part of my tax money is funding bias and insult toward me, especially when there's more than enough of that already from the mainstream media.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2007, 07:33 AM
    If you have a problem with the content of one program then send it to the ombudsman, that's what he's there for:
    PBS | Ombudsman
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    If you have a problem with the content of one program then send it to the ombudsman, that's what he's there for:
    PBS | Ombudsman
    And you don't think people have complained of Moyers' bias before? Has it changed anything? Nevertheless, I think I'll do just that and see where it gets me.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jul 20, 2007, 08:16 AM
    I don't think that PBS should be eliminated. I just think that they should have to make their money the old fashioned way... through advertising, rather than though government grants.

If Sesame Street is such a terrific show, and I believe that it is, then it should be able to support itself without my tax dollars. The Sesame Street character licensing agreements are big money for them. They don't need tax dollars to support it, and they don't need an entire tax-supported network just for that one show. Other PBS shows have made the change ove to commercial TV, like Ghostwriter and The Magical Schoolbus. To say that popular PBS kids shows "wouldn't be able to survive without government funding" is pure BS.

And the idea that Sesame Street is the reason that we need an entire PBS chanel is ludicrous. Are you aware, Karma, that the average age of a PBS watcher is 38 years old? If he's still watching PBS just for Sesame Street or to learn how to read, there's a problem that is muh larger than any that PBS can solve.

Furthermore, the entire justification for the existence of PBS was that PBS was the place to air the shows that nobody else would air. That was true back in the days before cable TV became popular. But now there's

The History Channel for historical programs,
    Discovery Channel for educational TV,
    A&E for artsy films,
    CNN for news,
    BBC America for British TV programs,
    Disney Channel and Discovery Kids for childrens' educational programming,
    ION television and ABC Family for family programming,
    Lifetime, Oxygen and WE for womens' programming,
    BET for African American programming,
    Telemundo for Hispanic programming,
    Here and Logo for gay and lesbian programming,
    Animal Planet for animal/biology/ecology programming,
    Turner Classic Movies for classics,
    The Food Network for cooking shows,
    etc.

And each one of these channels does the job of PBS. We don't need PBS as our sole outlet for these tpes of programs, because there are now other outlets for them.

In short, there is no justification for PBS to be funded by our tax dollars. None of the justifications for the existence of a government-assisted PBS still exist.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    And you don't think people have complained of Moyers' bias before? Has it changed anything? Nevertheless, I think I'll do just that and see where it gets me.
    Here is what it got me so far:

Thank you for your thoughts. Michael Getler values viewers' submissions, and he and his assistant try to read all letters. The ombudsman's column will address significant issues related to how PBS upholds its own standards of editorial integrity.
    It won't even get you a guarantee that they'll even look at a complaint.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 08:32 AM
    PBS upholds its own standards of editorial integrity.
    That about says it all
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine
    And each one of these channels does the job of PBS. We don't need PBS as our sole outlet for these tpes of programs, because there are now other outlets for them.
    Part of that etc.:

In addition to Telemundo, you also have Univision and TeleFutura for Hispanics, the English language Latino themed Sí TV, the English language network of China CCTV-9, Starz inBlack, and Colours TV - "The Muliticultural Network."

Then we have:

HGTV and DIY for home, garden and do-it-yourselfers
    Healthy Living Channel for people that have no life
    C-Span if you need a nap
    Fine Living for the rich and snobby
    RFD-TV for the average Joe Bob
    Fox Reality for people without a brain
    Angel for Christians
    BYUTV for Mormons

And last and perhaps least, Free Speech TV for moonbats. :D
    Mario3 Posts: 65, Reputation: 4
    -

Jul 20, 2007, 09:05 AM
    By bush taking out the funding for PBS he is basically turning it into everyother newstation... man we americans need it! Our media is an embarassement... its all privately owned. We're not going to get rid of our publicly funded one right... dont twist this and think because bush just wants us to have PBS become a business too that it doesn't mean he doesn't want to get rid of it. He wants to get rid of its content! This will affect its content. Is there anyone who agrees??
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine
    I don't think that PBS should be eliminated. I just think that they should have to make their money the old fashioned way... through advertising, rather than though government grants.
    And let advertisers dictate the content? That's precisely what they are trying to avoid. Do you have any idea of the amount of PBS materials that educators use?
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 09:29 AM
    And let advertisers dictate the content? That's precisely what they are trying to avoid. Do you have any idea of the amount of PBS materials that educators use?
    So you've found the answer to our failing public schools?
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Your public schools are failing?
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 09:36 AM
    House protects public broadcasting - CNN.com

Iin a time when our nations writing and reading scores are at all time lows, Bush wants to eliminate a broadcasting company that teaches kids just how to do that.
    Just as soon as someone wants to cut the budget, in come the opposition- how dare they- who wants to allow the opposing party any credit for cutting the budget.

So now Bush is against education... what flawless logic
    -

Jul 20, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Yeah bush is pretty bad
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario3
    By bush taking out the funding for PBS he is basically turning it into everyother newstation...man we americans need it! our media is an embarassement... its all privately owned. we're not gonna get rid of our publically funded one right...dont twist this and think because bush just wants us to have PBS become a business too that it doesnt mean he doesnt want to get rid of it. he wants to get rid of its content! this will affect its content. is there anyone who agrees???????????
    You mean like that 97:1 ratio male dominated "everyother newstation"? I must have missed the part where Bush wanted "to have PBS become a business", since private dollars account for 85 percent of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting's funding - like corporate sponsors Intel, Ford, Siemens and Starbucks.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Wow Crow, you sound bitter. I think more people would like to see the war budget pared down instead, I believe that was the point.
    -

Jul 20, 2007, 09:42 AM
    No we are talking the change to come - u need to follow
    -

Jul 20, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Hahah the war and religion budget. Almost 1/3rd of the KAtrina dollars from the BUSH ADMINISGTRATION went to religious institutions... lets break a lot of things down to see what is going on

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord putting house up for sale before end of lease [ 8 Answers ]

I entered a 1-year lease on 3/1/2007. I was informed by a realtor on 6/4/07 that the house was going up for sale but not to worry, it might take months for it to sell... Can a landlord do this? Even if the house takes a year to sell, how about my right to enjoy a quiet environment (for sale...

Front-end vs. Back-end Tech Writing [ 4 Answers ]

What's the difference? Can someone give me an example of both? I'm SO confused! :confused: Thanks in advance. -HBG

Bush tv/hello [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I'm new to this everyone.need help got a new remote for my combi bush TV model 145 does anyone have the remode codes for me please

Bush TV [ 2 Answers ]

I have a bush TV given to me, and have lost the manual so can not set the channels properly. The model is BUSH 2878 NTXSIL Please can anyone help me? I have set the dvd player to the TV set by scart but can not set my sky to it. The channels do not set for some reason. The arial is perfectly...

View more questions Search