Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Your public schools are failing?
    You said it, not me:

Iin a time when our nations writing and reading scores are at all time lows, Bush wants to eliminate a broadcasting company that teaches kids just how to do that.
    You don't see the irony in complaining of "our nations...all time low scores" then bragging on how much of PBS' material that educators use?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Yes, I see that now. Perhaps PBS should be abolished. That should help the cause.
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario3
    hahah the war and religion budget. almost 1/3rd of the KAtrina dollars from the BUSH ADMINISGTRATION went to religious institutions... lets break a lot of things down to see what is going on
    Mario3, there you go again throwing out statistics intended to spawn outrage without a shred of supporting evidence, so break things down for us. "hahah"
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Yes, I see that now. Perhaps PBS should be abolished. That should help the cause.
    I don't believe any of us - including the president - have ever said that. All I said was it offends me that my tax money is funding liberal bias. If they want to broadcast their liberal bias then they can do it on your dollar, not mine.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2007, 09:53 AM
    You are offended by a little TV show on PBS. You can imagine the outrage of most of the tax payers at the way their tax dollars are currently being spent.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jul 20, 2007, 09:56 AM
    And let advertisers dictate the content? That's precisely what they are trying to avoid.
    And how are they doing that if they are taking grant money from corporations like Exxon-Mobil, Walmart and others.

Do you have any idea of the amount of PBS materials that educators use?
    Yes, I do. So what? I'm not saying that these programs shouldn't air. I'm saying that it doesn't have to be paid for by my tax dollars. If these shows are so important, then they should be able to stand on their own and pay their own way via advertising and licensing agreements. If they aren't important enough, then let's make better ones that are important enough to be able to stand on their own.

BTW, more materials used by teachers are from the Discovery Channel, the History Channel, various National Geographic programs, etc. PBS is no longer necessary to air educational programming, because there are other networks that do the same thing and do it better.

Elliot
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2007, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine
    And how are they doing that if they are taking grant money from corporations like Exxon-Mobil, Walmart and others.
    They cannot dictate content, it's grant money, not advertising.

Jul 20, 2007, 10:02 AM
    By bush taking out the funding for PBS he is basically turning it into everyother newstation...man we americans need it! our media is an embarassement... its all privately owned. we're not gonna get rid of our publically funded one right...dont twist this and think because bush just wants us to have PBS become a business too that it doesnt mean he doesnt want to get rid of it. he wants to get rid of its content! this will affect its content. is there anyone who agrees???????????
    OOOOHHHH, private ownership, bad. Government ownership, good.

Tell that to the Soviets.

Oh, yeah, you can't... because they no longer exist.

Their system failed because everything was owned by the government and all it produced was crap.

The reason that our economy is the strongest in the world is because private people own stuff, have an opportunity to make a profit to acquire more stuff, and so they work hard to do it. The reason the Soviet system failed is because nobody owned anything, there was no incentive to work hard, so they didn't bother.

So of course, you push for government control... because that has such a great history of working well for the people.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 10:02 AM
    You are offended by a little tv show on PBS. You can imagine the outrage of most of the tax payers at the way their tax dollars are currently being spent.
    Yeah, like congress giving themselves a raise so they can engage in "300 investigations...and over 600 oversight hearings in just about 100 days," according to White House Spokesman Scott Stanzel, and spend the rest of that time engaged in undermining our security and the troops they claim to support.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2007, 10:04 AM
    No, I mean the trillions of dollars spent on the war. You been hiding under a rock?

Jul 20, 2007, 10:05 AM
    hahah the war and religion budget. almost 1/3rd of the KAtrina dollars from the BUSH ADMINISGTRATION went to religious institutions... lets break a lot of things down to see what is going on
    What is your source, please. Or are you just talking out of your rear end again?

Jul 20, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Wow Crow, you sound bitter. I think more people would like to see the war budget pared down instead, I believe that was the point.
    Why would anyone even think of cutting down our national security budget after 9/11? Who would be stupid enough to recommend it? Aren't the liberals the ones who were claiming that we were sending our troops to fight without the proper equipment because the budget didn't cover armor for hummers and such? It wasn't true, of course, but why would anyone suggest that we should decrease the budget and create that sort of poblem?

Elliot
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Create what problem? The one you made up to support your argument (strawman)?

Jul 20, 2007, 10:14 AM
    You are offended by a little tv show on PBS. You can imagine the outrage of most of the tax payers at the way their tax dollars are currently being spent.
    No question. We definitely need to cut welfare and social program spending.

And we should cut education spending by allowing school vouchers and charter schools.

And stop the useless global warming studies that haven't proven a darn thing. If people want to study global waming, let them use private grants to fund it.

And we should also decrease useless regulation of corpoations that don't make products better, just more expensive and waste taxpayer money to accomplish nothing.

And farm subsidies should probably be cut as well... paying people NOT to work their farms is just stupid.

There are lots of good places to start cutting the budget. National security isn't the place to start.

Elliot
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Wow Crow, you sound bitter. I think more people would like to see the war budget pared down instead, I believe that was the point.
    Invariably when ‘most people’ believe something the odds are they are wrong, that is one reason for America being a republic.

Bitter, yes- bitter that America is bankrupt in essence, and debt leads to enslavement. Yes, I am bitter that both of the two parties that have reigned are both responsible.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Invariably when ‘most people’ believe something the odds are they are wrong, that is one reason for America being a republic.

Bitter, yes- bitter that America is bankrupt in essence, and debt leads to enslavement. Yes, I am bitter that both of the two parties that have reigned are both responsible.
    Is there a good candidate out there?
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Is there a good candidate out there?
    One problem is that who the candidate’s are is not relevant to the sweeping changes that need to be made. Congress is a problem in that it reigns with-out limit; that is, look at the length of time so many of the various ‘Chairs’ have been in office.
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 10:38 AM
    No, I mean the trillions of dollars spent on the war. You been hiding under a rock?
    Starting to get a little testy? Technically, I live in a rock house so I guess you might I've been under a rock for years.

I look at the reality of things, and the reality is we have an enemy that's determined to either kill us or bring us to submission, an enemy intent on establishing a worldwide religious government more oppressive than anything you can imagine from Bush and the "right-wing evangelicals", an enemy that kills for sport and lives to die and proves that every day. If it take trillions of dollars to defeat that enemy I think even you might finally realize it was money well spent. All those education, healthcare and PBS dollars won't matter if you're dead.
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Starting to get a little testy? Technically, I live in a rock house so I guess you might I've been under a rock for years.

I look at the reality of things, and the reality is we have an enemy that's determined to either kill us or bring us to submission, an enemy intent on establishing a worldwide religious government more oppressive than anything you can imagine from Bush and the "right-wing evangelicals", an enemy that kills for sport and lives to die and proves that every day. If it take trillions of dollars to defeat that enemy I think even you might finally realize it was money well spent. All those education, healthcare and PBS dollars won't matter if you're dead.
    I don’t think there are many people, when they talk about cutting funds realize that ‘security’ is the fundamental basis for government; that is, it must be the very last item on the budget for it is the very last line of defense that protects our Constitutional Rights. So it is that all government spending is subject to be rescinded before a war budget.

Jul 23, 2007, 07:15 AM
    They cannot dictate content, it's grant money, not advertising.

Huh?

That makes no sense.

An advertiser can say "If you don't air what I want, I'll stop buying advertising on your show." A corporation that gives grants can say "If you don't air what I want, I'll stop giving you grant money." How do they differ? If you think that corporations and their trusts that give grants to PBS don't control content, you are being extremely naïve.

Elliot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord putting house up for sale before end of lease [ 8 Answers ]

I entered a 1-year lease on 3/1/2007. I was informed by a realtor on 6/4/07 that the house was going up for sale but not to worry, it might take months for it to sell... Can a landlord do this? Even if the house takes a year to sell, how about my right to enjoy a quiet environment (for sale...

Front-end vs. Back-end Tech Writing [ 4 Answers ]

What's the difference? Can someone give me an example of both? I'm SO confused! :confused: Thanks in advance. -HBG

Bush tv/hello [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I'm new to this everyone.need help got a new remote for my combi bush TV model 145 does anyone have the remode codes for me please

Bush TV [ 2 Answers ]

I have a bush TV given to me, and have lost the manual so can not set the channels properly. The model is BUSH 2878 NTXSIL Please can anyone help me? I have set the dvd player to the TV set by scart but can not set my sky to it. The channels do not set for some reason. The arial is perfectly...

View more questions Search