Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dreamer52231 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Hardrive not being recognised
    I have a hardrive that worked on all the computers in my house and I used it on the computer downstairs moved some files then took it upstairs to watch a film and the computer didn't recognise it well it came up with a little bubble saying windows does not recognise this usb device one or more of your devices may have malfunctioned. I tried plugging it in again reset the computer and tried it in the one downstairs and it doesn't work on that one either I'm so gutted it makes that sound though (the one when you plug in a device so it does recognise it, it just won't show up) I'm so useless with computers that I don't know what to do if you have any ideas I am willing to try anything I just got it completely sorted and now I fear its died completely... :( :(
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Jul 26, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Sounds like its an external hard drive. External drives should always be disconnected safely using the Safely remove hardware icon.

You can try to connect it as a slave to your host PC, by removing the physical drive from the external enclosure, and see if Windows recognize it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Umm there is no indication the drive is in an external enclosue. If it's a standard USB drive it wouldn't be.

Assuming you removed the drive correctly, it might be the cable. Is the drive externally powered?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hardrive locked [ 2 Answers ]

My hard drive is locked and I forgot my password

12+3 can be recognised by us universities [ 3 Answers ]

Hi frns I did my bs in biotechnology which is 12+3 so can I do ms in america.

Back up hardrive [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've recently run into my HD completely crashing and after shelling out $300 bones to retrieve, change the HD and upgrade the OP system I'm wondering how to I back up everything from my hardrive? Should I get a jump drive and what size? Also what do I have to include in the backup other...

Burnt hardrive overload [ 1 Answers ]

My hardrive was replaced due to burnt hardrive overload now its fixed and we cannot retrieve our emails or send from msn messagener coud you please advise us on how we can do so thank you tazannehillier

View more questions Search