Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hettie Posts: 71, Reputation: 8

Jul 19, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Bowel cancer
    My dad was recently diagnosed with bowel cancer but he doesn't seem tob every clued up on his treatment all I know is he goes in for an op next week and may or may not have to wear a bag for life. He doesn't seem to be asking very many questions about his condition and other than a scan showing it hasn't spread further I don't know much else doe s anyone have a general prognosis or advice on how to cope we stay several hundred miles apart so it not like I can visit often worried sick hardly slept since we found out
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 19, 2007, 05:05 PM
    If he can't or doesn't want to ask appropriate questions then you will have to be with him through the operation and after to ask the doctor about his care. If he is your dad, then this is what you should do without question.
    JAMIET Posts: 73, Reputation: 12

Jul 27, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hettie
    my dad was recently diagnosed with bowel cancer but he doesnt seem tob every clued up on his treatment all I know is he goes in for an op next week and may or may not have to wear a bag for life. He doesnt seem to be asking very many questions about his condition and other than a scan showing it hasnt spread further I dont know much else doe s anyone have a general prognosis or advice on how to cope we stay several hundred miles apart so it not like i can visit often worried sick hardly slept since we found out
    Unfortuneatly, I lost my father to colon cancer on 07/04/06. He was 70 at the time of diagnosis and died at 71. He too , did not ask very many questions. I took it upon myself to make sure I went with him to the doctor whenever possible and I ask the questions and brought a pen and paper to write down the info and all the Doctors contact info. The recovery alone after the initial surgery is long, slow and painful. I helped clean the incision for him daily and made sure he followed ALL the Dr's instructions on following a strict diet once he was allowed food again. Sometimes I think older folks don't want to be a "Pain" to anyone, so they don't ask... you do it for him, and keep other family members informed as needed, so they can perhaps also assist in caring for him going forward. God bless you both and I will pray you have a better outcome than my family.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difficulty with bowel movements [ 2 Answers ]

We adopted a cat, Scout, about a month ago and she's wonderful. The problem is that she seems to hold her bowel movements as long as possible (several days at a time). She urinates regularly. We're unclear as to whether this is intentional on her part or whether she is simply perpetually...

Bowel movement [ 3 Answers ]

Lately, but very sporatically, my bowel movements have been almost pure liquid. I don't think it is diarrhea because it is very random, and only happens once then stops. This is gross, but as soon as I go to the bathroom, it just comes out. I didn't know if it was just my digestive system being...

Blood with Bowel Movements [ 2 Answers ]

When you have blood present in your bowel movements, what does this mean?

Weird bowel movements [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been having weird stomach problems and I am not sure what to do. My stomach makes weird sounds that sound like farts, or sometimes a popping noise. I don't know what it is. When the bowel comes, it is all watery and muddy. It is not hard, it is more like a soup. Im a little worried...

Weird bowel movements [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I have a question about bowel movements I've been having diarreah (well, it's not THAT bad... more like really soft) for the about three weeks now. I noticed that it smells sour and before I had to go my stomach would hurt (after I went it didn't hurt). I went about 2 times a day,...

View more questions Search