Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cardwell88 Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Jul 19, 2007, 04:25 PM
    77' Kawasaki KZ650
    I got a 1977 Kawasaki KZ650,
    I was riding down the road and it just bogged down and died, all electrical was off, lights, dash indicators and everything, I checked the battery and it's fine, does anyone know what iyt could be, and if so where do I look and how do I fix it??
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 08:25 PM
    Fuse, Fusible Link, or Ignition Switch, would be first guess. Cheap $5 Test light from auto parts helpful. Local Library may have your manual. They have some. Look Near Battery or Starter Solenoid.

Jul 23, 2007, 10:15 PM
    It has 3 fuses,
    Main, front, and rear,
    I have power on the main fuse but not in the others..
    Could that be a possibility?
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 05:32 AM
    Do you have power to both sides of the main fuse? Then turn Key on and test for power in and out of other fuses.

Jul 24, 2007, 11:44 AM
    I have power on both ends of the main fuse, but not any of the others, when I turn the key on nothing happens, no power to anything...
    Could it be the ignition or a short somewhere?
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 12:33 PM
    It could be Ignition switch.
    More likely an Open, than a short. Unplug ignition switch and test for power at any of the pins. You may need to get a manual with wiring diagram.
    tpeters Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Jul 24, 2007, 03:46 PM
    I had persistent fuse problems with my '78 KZ-650-B. The fuses got warm and caused a bit more resistance at the ends between the metal cap on the glass fuse and the brass contact the fuse is snapped into.

That caused more resistance and oxidation and therefore more heat. You see where this is going, I'm sure.

I yanked the fuses and tested them, find them OK, but still go only intermittent contact or none at all. Then I realized the plastic 3-fuse box was a little melted where the metal contacts were attached and they were swimming around some in the box, and the contacts themselves were discolored, crudded up, and generally not making good contact any more.

I eventually gave up using the original fuses and bought ATC blade type fuse holders with pigtails at the auto supply store. The ones I got have a rubber cap that seals the fuse inside, away from the weather.

No more issues.

Jul 24, 2007, 09:02 PM
    OK, I'll try it, I'll let you know, thanks for the help so far

Jul 25, 2007, 12:26 PM
    I found the problem, there was a wire that came out of a pig-tale, I fixed it and the bike works fine, thanks for all you advice..
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2007, 07:48 PM
    Thanks for hanging in there, and your results. Take care

Jul 25, 2007, 11:11 PM
    You too, thanks again.
    nathanw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 04:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cardwell88
    i found the problem, there was a wire that came out of a pig-tale, i fixed it and the bike works fine, thanks for all you advice..
    Cardwell, I have the same problem , can you tell me which pig tail you found the short in?

Thanks
    Nathan
    zdizzle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 03:21 PM
    :confused: hey guyz so I was smashin doen the road yester day and lost all powert outa nowere!all conections seem good but I can't find the fuses... I can't find the fuse box were is it?
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 04:30 PM
    nathanw, anyone of several can do it. Start at battery connections, ignition switch connections and handlebar connections, for unplugged connector, Fuses seem to fail more often than a plug unconnection.

ZD, Usually near the battery, Under the seat or side covers, Look for fusible items on or near battery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting kawasaki kz650 [ 7 Answers ]

I just bought a 1977 kawasaki kz650. It ran fine when I got it home, and then I cleaned and sprayed some of the bike with a pressure washer. After that it started hard and now it doesn't start at all. I drained the gas and put new in, charged the battery, and cleaned the plugs. I don't why it won't...

Kawasaki KZ650 ignition [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a 1977 Kawasaki KZ650 and want to run a switch in place of the ignition, because I plan of running a remote start... but I can't figure out what the red and blue wires run too.. I can't afford the owners manual at the moment cause I used my money for the remote start...

Kawasaki [ 2 Answers ]

My kawaski motorcycle taillight always stay on

View more questions Search