Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pwstick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2005, 07:42 PM
    Blower Motor Relay Failing
    I have a Lennox Pulse furnace that is approximately 16 years old with central A/C. Last summer the blower motor stopped running while using air conditioner. Determined that the blower relay was bad, replaced and it ran fine through to this summer season. Again the blower relay contacts failed, replaced and it ran this time for approximately two weeks and the blower motor stopped running again.

All indications are showing that the relay contacts have again failed. Blower motor is 3/4 HP and relay is rated for 3/4 HP@125VAC. When I jumper across the relay contacts, the blower motor seems to run normally. I do not have an amp clamp to check the current of the motor. Could the capacitor be causing the relay contacts to continue to fail?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2005, 08:56 PM
    Capacitors are hard to check without a capacitor checker. You can do a rough check with a volt meter on a big one, but that is only useful for a dead one that keeps the motor from starting. A 3/4 relay for a 3/4 motor is marginal. You may be having trouble with it on A/C because it uses a different winding for higher speed. The motor could be on its way out and drawing excess current. Oil or grease it if it has ports for it. I would pick up a slightly larger relay, and see how things go.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2005, 09:18 PM
    Another thought. Is it the contacts that fail, or does the coil fail to operate the relay? Can you feel or hear it work? If not, you may want to check the voltage to the coil. Should be about 24-25 volts.
    pwstick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2005, 03:57 PM
    Thanks! I also was wondering about the rating of the relay contacts not being high enough but forgot to think about the speed being higher for the A/C setting. There is 24VAC consistently at the coil when the blower needs to run, definitely the contacts that seem to be the problem.

I'll try a larger rating for the relay contacts and do some PM on the blower motor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower Motor bad or what? [ 7 Answers ]

Howdy, My FURNACE/AC blower motor has quit workng. Checked unit... the squirrel cage fan spins smoothy, no bearing noise or roughness, when turned by hand. When I turn A/C on I hear A/C unit come on but fan doesn't blow. Same when turning on heating unit. Same response in 'AUTO' or 'ON' modes....

Janitrol blower relay problem [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol GMP075-3 furnace and the blower will constantly run unless I turn the power off to the furnace. I believe the problem is from the blower relay because the a/c turns on and shuts off when commanded. I looked at the circuit board in the furnace and I could not tell where the...

Blower Motor [ 1 Answers ]

I have read multiple posts about wiring for blower motors and saw one that almost answered my question. I have an old blower motor that I would like to convert to a shop air filter. I know that it is a multi-speed motor. It has 8 wire connections and are labeled as such: Power cap cap ...

Blower Motor question [ 9 Answers ]

I live in an 8-year old townhouse and had a routine (my first) maintenance visit. The supposedly reputable plumbing technician seemed very thorough, but I wanted to be sure I'm not being taken for a ride. He put on a rubber glove, felt the blower motor & when he pulled his hand back, it was full...

Wiring for motor relay in AC [ 10 Answers ]

We have a Rheem gas furnace/central AC system. The blower motor went out. We finally found a new one. However... I was stupid and did not draw the wiring diagram when I disconnected the old one. Now I can't seem to figure out how to rewire everything. There is a relay switch on the side...

View more questions Search