Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    always_hot Posts: 114, Reputation: 16

Jul 19, 2007, 01:48 PM
    College online
    I was just wondering what people thought about online college classes. I'm thinking about taking an online class for business management. Has anyone completed any online classes and then got a job with their degree or certificate? Are people as willing to hire you with an online degree?
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Jul 19, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Just look at it this way. Ask yourself how many people have college degrees, especially in the subjects that interest you. The number of people is probably rather high. Then ask yourself how many of those people are looking for jobs after they complete the degree. The answer should be obvious, all of them. Now lets consider if a traditional college degree carries the same weight as an online degree. The answer to this question is also quite obvious, which is to say, not even close. That should answer a least answer some of your questions.

Most of the professors for online colleges have BS/A or MA degrees, with the majority probably in the BS/A category. This is another reason online degrees are taken less than seriously. Obviously, someone teaching with a PhD, is going to garner more respect. This of course, doesn't mean they're a better teacher, however, that is the perception.

I can only see online courses being worthwhile if you already have a job and are looking for some way to possibly get a leg up in the company. Otherwise, you're probably just wasting your time and money.

If you're really interested in going back to school, why not take night classes at a traditional institution? It probably won't cost too terribly much more, and will carry far more weight.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2007, 02:33 PM
    My opinion is, if you choose an accredited school, it makes no difference. If you are looking at the "Get-you-degree-in-three-days Business School of America" then you are wasting your time and money. But, a lot of traditional and accredited universities offer online classes. That's actually how I'm getting my degree right now. Online classes take a lot of discipline and require a lot of reading. You have to be able to work independently in order to succeed.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 19, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Please refer to THIS STICKY
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Yes, a accredited school online, is as good as any acredited school basically.

Now even amount brick and stone schools, some are better than others, state schools to private schools, ivy league schools and so on.

There are many professions where some of the online schools are even looked on very highly.

Now these are real online schools, not mills where you buy your degree

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Excelsior College a real college? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, if someone can please help me and let me know if Excelsior College's distance learning program is legally accredited, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to get a BS degree in Computer Information System through distance learning. I found that Excelsior College is perfect for this,...

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

Online accredited college or university [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I'm new to this site... I'm wondering if anyone knows about a good online accredited college or university with minimum pay?? I've completed 12th Grade from Calicut University, Kerala, India and am interested in Business Management. [email protected]

Scared of college! Looking to start online [ 5 Answers ]

As some of you know I am in Afghanistan working with the US military. I have a lot of time on my hands, and I really want to get a better education. I am 24, almost 25. Have taken one college class and well really I am scared of college! It was never something my parents talked about or...

College [ 6 Answers ]

With colleges that require you to live on campus the first year or two, will any allow you to bring your baby with you? I know Longwood allows it in certain cases but I was wondering if anyone knew of others that did. If not does anyone know if those colleges will let you live off campus instead?

View more questions Search