Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gregor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Adopting my step daughter
    My step daughter is 18 mts old, her biological father does not see or speak to her(through his own choice). My wife and I are considering that I adopt faith(stepdaughter). However as neither of us have ever done this before it would be useful to know where to start. So if anyone knows how to start the process it would be extremely helpful
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jul 19, 2007, 02:57 PM
    First-you need his agreement
    Second-you have to terminate his parental rights in court.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 03:35 AM
    Not technically. If they have one signature (say the mother of the child's) they can somehow overwrite his name. I was told this during the adoption court my boyfriend and his ex and the adoptee parents who want my bf's child. But I think this may only be possible if the father (in your case) does not show up for court proceedings concerning the child in question. Though do not quote me on this one. Otherwise you should just be able to acquire guardianship, custody and adoption papers from a lawyer I think. Yet again I am still new to family court so you should double check this information in case I am wrong. So do not quote me on it. But it is what I have heard
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 20, 2007, 06:02 AM
    You start by contacting a Family Attorney. They will advise you of the process. It generally involves getting the bio father to relinquish his rights and then petitioning the court to adopt.

No court is going to grant adoption without the relinquishment of rights or, at least, a good faith effort to get it. If the bio parent can't be found or contacted, then the court MIGHT grant the adoption. But if the parent is known, then their relinquishment of rights must be obtained.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting my step-daughter [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has been raising his daughter on his own since she was about 6 weeks old. When we started dating she was a little over 2 years old. Her birth mother has been in and out of her life since she was born and pretty much just did it because of a jealousy thing. She had weekend visitation on...

Adopting step children [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about adopting my step children without having the expense of an attorney? Their mother has requested me to adopt them and wants to give up all her parental rights.

Adopting a step daughter [ 4 Answers ]

My step daughter's Father is now dead and she would like me to adopt her so that she can genuinely feel part of our family. I would also like this to happen but what is involved in the legal process and how long does this take. Also is there a large cost involved?

Adopting 23 year old step daughter [ 3 Answers ]

Can my partner adopt my 23 year old daughter as this is her wish, she has no relationship with her birth father any more my partner and I have lived together with my daughter for 10 years, please help :confused:

Adopting step children [ 3 Answers ]

I really need help with this one. My children's egg donor has not been around in 2 years or paid child support. Where or how would I start on seeing about adopting them.

View more questions Search