Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fewerlbs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 09:23 PM
    random smell in new house
    We're in a 5 month old new construction home. It's a split ranch with master on one side and 2 guest bedrooms and bath on other side. There is a smell in one guest room or both or in both bedrooms and bathroom or just bathroom. It seems more noticeable when it is damp or after it rains. My husband seems to think it comes from the HVAC but when we smell the vents as they're blowing we can't smell it specifically in that spot. The smell is of something dead. We had a dead mouse in the wall in another house we lived in and the smell is very similar. We've had our HVAC company come out to inspect everything and they couldn't find anything. They checked the HVAC tubing(?) in the attic, looking for a rodent or something but said if it was smaller than a football they wouldn't be able to find it. We've noticed this for about 4 out of the 5 months we've lived here. It's very random, is not always in the same room twice but is always in either the guest bedrooms or bathroom and nowhere else in the house. It does seem to be worse during damp weather. I'm almost convinced that it's a dead animal but if it is, how long should we expect that it will take to decompose completely? We figured that if something small did die in the vents of the HVAC that eventually it will dry up and go away but how long does that take? The mouse that died in our other house was so tiny but the smell it created would have made you think a 200lb man was rotting in the wall. We're at a loss as to what to do. Of course the builder and/or subcontractors won't take any responsibility because whenever someone comes to check it out, the smell isn't there since it's so random. One night I opened the closet in one of the guest bedroms and the smell in there was the strongest it's ever been but it didn't smell anywhere else that particular time. There are no vents in the closet. It has not smelled in there before or since that night. So weird. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 19, 2007, 08:52 AM
    I don't have a clue what you have but it sounds like it isn't dead, its moving from place to place. Consider calling an exterminator to evaluate your home.
    sbelding Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2013, 06:52 PM
    I would love to know if you ever found out what it was. We have the same thing happening in our new house!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smell of feces in house [ 2 Answers ]

There is a distinct smell of feces in certain parts of my house. It is most pronounced in the mud room but also in a cabinet in the kitchen that is on the other side of the wall from the bathroom. There is only a crawlspace under these two areas. I don't think there are any sewer pipes under the...

Random Peeing in House! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi again, Yet another puzzling phenomenon produced by Barkley... our one year old lab mix from the shelter. Here's the story... He has NEVER gone to the bathroom in the house, except for the very first night we had him when he whined at my bedside to go out, and I ignored him, so he...

Sewer smell in house [ 2 Answers ]

I get a sewer smell in my house. I had a hole in my cast iron vent stack and replaced it. I still get the smell. There is definitely odor problems at the sewre drain in the basement. Strangely, the problem is worst when it rains or is very humid. My house was built in the 50's and it looks...

Sewer smell in the house [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! We have a lingering sewer smell coming out of our guest bathroom. It was a brandnew house when we moved in about two months ago. The bathroom didn't smell until we started to use that bathroom. We sealed the loose connection on the sewer vent pipe that goes through the attic and raised the vent...

Septic smell in house [ 1 Answers ]

Every winter I get a sewage smell throughout my house. I have a basement with a crawl space at the end and from within this crawl space is where the smell originates. My furnace is about 10 feet from this 3 foot square hole which goes to the crawl space and you can feel and smell the odor coming...

View more questions Search