Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crystalbivens Posts: 489, Reputation: 26

Jul 18, 2007, 05:03 PM
    National licensure examination for RN what does this mean
    Hi everyone I need some information if you can help, I have been a student for nursing for the last year and a half I was going to be a LPN but I have decided to go for my RN instead I have signed up to do a bridge program and get my Associate degree with the option to write the national licensure examination to become a registered nurse.
    So my question is after I have completed all my classes and get my Associate degree will I have to take more classes to get my RN, what does it mean to write to the national licensure examination.
    Thanks for your help
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2007, 10:30 PM
    I don't have an answer for you. But, I think that your question is important. So, by my posting a response to it, your question will get placed more towards the top of the list of questions needing to be answered.

There is at least one person on this site who I am sure can provide a good answer for you. And that would be J_9. I hope that she comes along.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 20, 2007, 06:25 AM
    So, let me see if I understand what you are saying. You are going for your Associates as an LPN then a fast track to RN?

I am not sure if the bridge program is the same as what we call "fast track". Where you get your LPN then go for your RN.

If that is the case, then yes you will have to take some courses. You see there are things we RN students learn that are not taught in LPN courses, such as dropping an NG tube, starting IVs and IV therapy, giving narcotics, and quite a few procedures. You will have to learn those procedures prior to becoming an RN.

You will need these to sit for your RN NCLEX. The fast track from LPN to RN takes 18 months at my school.

What does it mean to write to the national licensure exam? It means you sit in front of a computer for up to 8 hours and take a test called the NCLEX.

Jul 20, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Thanks so much for your answers, it's not the fast track from LPN to RN program I know what you are talking about because I was going to do that but I would have to become a LPN and be in the field for a year before I could do the RN.
    This is actually the A.D.N ( Associate Degree in Nursing)
    It says Program graduates who meet graduation requirements are eligible to apply to the Georgia Board of Nursing to write the national licensure examination (NCLEX) to become registered nurses (RNs).
    So I am wondering if this mean I will not have to take any additional classes and will be able to write for the NCLEX to become an RN
    The classes are different then what is required for the LPN this is a break up of the classes

BIO 193* ** Human Anatomy and Physiology I 7 5
    ENG 191* ** Composition and Rhetoric I 5 5
    SCT 100* ** Introduction to Microcomputers 5 3

BIO 194** Human Anatomy and Physiology II 7 5
    MAT 191* ** College Algebra 5 5
    PSY 191** Introduction to Psychology 5 5

BIO 197** Medical Microbiology 7 5
    ENG 193** Composition and Rhetoric II 5 5

PSY 291 Human Growth and Development 5 5
    NUR 103 Professional Practice III 5 3
    NUR 106 Foundations of Professional Nursing (Bridge Course) 7 5

SOC 191 Introduction to Sociology 5 5
    NUR 104 Pharmacology and Dosage Calculation 7 5
    NUR 105 Professional Practice IV 9 5

NUR 201 Professional Practice V 9 5
    NUR 202 Professional Practice VI 9 5
    NUR 203 Professional Practice VII 2 2

SPC 191 Fundamentals of Speech 5 5
    NUR 204 Professional Practice VIII 16 8

HUM 191 Introduction to Humanities 5 5
    NUR 205 Professional Practice IX 9 5
    NUR 206 Professional Practice X 9 5

J_9 did you have to take any of these classes?
    Thanks so much for your help
    Expert

Jul 20, 2007, 10:19 AM
    This means you will be a graduate RN upon graduation. After that time you schedule your NCLEX exam date. Upon passing that you will officially be an RN.

This is exactly what I am doing right now.

Apparently you are still in your prerequisite stage though. Once you take the courses you have outlined above, then you will have to apply to be in the nursing program. These courses must be taken prior to taking any of the NUR classes.

You must satisfy your ENG, BIO, HUM, SPC, etc prior to being in Nursing School.

I currently have taken 90% of the classes you have listed above, however, my school does not require speech, for instance, and maintain a 3.5 GPA.

Grades are a BIG thing when applying to the individual nursing program. So stay on your toes. Also, I don't see that Chemistry is a requirement, I do STRONGLY recommend at least Intro to Chem.

Jul 20, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Thanks so much for your help I think I understand it better now, they told me how important it is for the grades to stay as high as possible because they only allow 20 students to enter the nursing program she said that I had very good compass scores and if I keep my GPA up I would have a very good chance at getting in.
    I really appericate your help your always a very good helper.
    Expert

Jul 20, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Crystal, I am very willing to talk with you on this, as I know how confusing it can be.

Now, our school chose students on a point system. Being that we got 2 points for an A in A&P, Microbiology, basically the sciences. Then 1 point for a B, and 0 for a C. Then they added your GPA with your points, you have to take a Nursing Entrance Exam (for my school it is called a HESI Test) and score high on that. Yadda yadda yadda

Again, I am stressing the chemistry. It looks as though your school does not require it, but you will have chemistry once you get into the program. You will need to know Na, K, Mag, etc. These are on medical records and very important to know their functions, as they are life altering chemicals within the human body.

They only allow 20 students in at a time. Did they tell you how many applicants they get? They only let 48 students in my class but we had over 350 applicants, so over 300 were turned down. So keep those grades up and study study study.

If you need any help, just let me know.

Jul 20, 2007, 11:12 AM
    Thanks J_9 it is very confusing I spent over a year and a half in the LPN classes and was about to enter the nursing classes when I decieded that I was going to go full force and do what I really wanted to do which is RN.
    So having to change over is so confusing I didn't realize how stressed it was going to make me, especially with two children and one on the way, but I know I just got to stick with it.
    They said I would have to take a nursing test at the end its called the ADN Prerequisite Test which is the RN pre entrance Exam so I'm not sure if that's similar to the one you have to take.
    I will defently take a Chem class, I don't know why they don't require on especially if it defines important information.
    Expert

Jul 20, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Crystal. What you will be going through is not anywhere near as stressful as nursing school. The stress hits the fan when you enter nursing school. My husband says that it is family school. He also refers to it as mini-medical school.

Be sure this is what you want and make sure that you have plenty of support from hubby and family. You will also need babysitting resources, etc.

I am not trying to scare you, but it is tough. In most schools if you drop out or fail twice you will NOT be accepted to any other nursing school.

Again, it is much more intense than I expected.

Jul 22, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Thanks J-9 luckly I have a great husband and my n laws only live 5 min. away for babysitting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can't pass the ICWAI examination [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am in a big problem , I had taken admission in the ICWAI course , I managed to clear most of the papers but unfortunately I am unable to clear the last 8 papers. Last three years I am appearing in the examination but every time the result is negative. My parents have...

National ID [ 32 Answers ]

Has anyone heard of the National ID and "the mark of the beast"? What are your thoughts? WorldNetDaily: Is coming national ID 'mark of the beast'?

Business Licensure in the UK [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a specific license needed to operate as an Interior Designer in the UK? Is there a specific cert. or education required? Thanks

View more questions Search