Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    downrange Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 12:58 PM
    Rough in shower
    If go to my local Lowe's store and buy a one piece shower, do I fasten that directly to the stud wall? Put up a mositure barrier? The bathrrom is going to be finished with rough cedar boards on the wall.. not sure how to do that around the shower? Help!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 18, 2007, 01:17 PM
    I don't rough cedar boards a good idea unless you treat them somehow for the moisture they will encounter on a day to day basis.

IMO, don't know about the fastening, but I think it's a good point. I know it will look really nice but not practical.

Jul 18, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Yes they will be sealed
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 18, 2007, 01:28 PM
    I mentioned that, downrange, because I made that mistake a few years ago and had no one to tell me it wasn't a good idea. I found out the hard way. Any questions I asked from a female viewpoint were laughed at as inconsiquential but I was doing all the work myself. I still hate the 'hardware store male' attitude even now at 65 when I know what I am talking about!

I would be interested to know, just for my own information, what you are sealing them with. I love the look and smell of cedar inside the house but ever since that mistake years ago I have not used them anywhere indoors.

Jul 18, 2007, 01:32 PM
    I talked with a guy from my area... he told me to use the same stuff as I used on cedar boards on the outside of my house.. It's a Flood brand CWF sealer. He thought it would be OK to use as a sealer for in the bath room..
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Jul 18, 2007, 02:54 PM
    If it were me... I would install "green board" sheetrock (moisture resistant - called "green" 'cause it's a green color) over the studs behind the new shower. You'll need a flat surface to (glue) the shower walls to.

Jul 19, 2007, 04:25 AM
    I wondered if I should put that stuff up! Thanks for your input. Solved that problem!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Shower Rough In [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process of finishing my basement and I want to install a shower in the bathroom. It is already roughed in for a shower, there is a 12x12 square hole in the cement and about 1 foot below the floor is a capped horizontal pipe. I want to install a 4 piece shower 36x36. 1.) What do I...

Rough-In Valve for a Shower [ 3 Answers ]

What would be a reason for replacing a working valve for a new rough-in valve in the shower. The new shower head and lever handle I bought says that a new rough-in valve is required. Is it really or are they trying to sell me something I don't need?

Toilet rough in and shower [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: The rough in of all the drainage for my basement bathroom was done before we poured the basement floor. Now I am at building the framing for the walls. My first question is this. How do you measure to install a toilet in the proper place, meaning, my wall is not framed yet, where on the...

Shower Rough-In [ 11 Answers ]

I had a full bath roughed-in in my new house basement. The shower drain location was covered with styrofoam. I assumed that the drain pipe was below it and I proceeded to removed the styrofoam however, there was only the inner drain tile pipe. Am I missing something (i.e. drain pipe)?

Shower rough in [ 3 Answers ]

I am finishing a stubbed in bathroom in my basement. To install the shower drain, it looks as if I need to chip away about an 8" diameter section of concrete around the stubbed in drain pipe to allow the drain to sit level with the floor. (there is a trap already under the floor) My question,...

View more questions Search