Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AllenS Posts: 67, Reputation: 10

Jul 18, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Where do you go?
    Ok my father and I have been looking into homeschooling, as my current school is just too... well everything. The teachers take more time controlling their classes rather than teaching them. People at the school are so full of drama its not evn funny.
    I live in Cordell Oklahoma, and Ive been researching on homeschooling. The only thing I can find on the net ( besides a select few sites) Is homeschooling for College. Which I'm not looking for. Im looking for High school homeschooling.

Another thing, where do you go and who do you talk to for homeschooling arrangements? Do you go to the public school and ask about homeschooling or is there some place that you go to ask the City about it?

Ive never been in homeschooling but I've came across some people who did homeschool but at that time I wasn't planning on it so I didn't ask.
    Public school is just TOO distractong to me, which I'm afriad is the cause of my not so good, grades. I get distracted easily and if I'm at home, I can whizz through my homework just at school I can't see, to concentrate.

Where on earth do I go??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2007, 12:55 PM
    You don't "go" anywhere. First your parents can merely make up the classes and course work. Next there are 100's of companies that sell programs for home school, and there are dozens of actual schools where they have set programs, do the grading, and send report cards.

The level of home schooling will make up the deciding factor of where in your state law you fit, and what notification ( if any) will be needed to the local school board.

For example we use Seaton ( a catholic home school) they provide all of the course work, grade the material, issue report cards, keep school records, and even have a school number that you use when applying for college and college grants.

Some of the programs are " K though 12" ( that is their name), Softschools.com, starfall.com, hs.com

Simple searches can show you dozens of possible choices

The best place to start your search is hslda.org

Jul 18, 2007, 01:00 PM
    That you fr'! I wasn't sure of what to do, I appreciate the links!
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 01:02 PM
    My brother was homeschooled through the town school district. When he got diagnosed with Diabetes the school couldn't accommodate him with him needing to take insulin shots.

You could try the school district. He had a teacher come to our house once a week to pick up his homework, do a little bit of lecturing, and drop off his new homework. He obtained all of his credits 6 months before graduation, so he was done with school before everyone else was! He did not do well in school because its not a 1 on 1 environment, but when he moved to homeschool it was, and he graduated with almost straight A's. :)

Jul 18, 2007, 04:21 PM
    That's great! Wow. I was concerned (no I don't do this there's no point in it) with cheating though.
    How do they prevent students from cheating ( getting all the answers from their parents what not). I have OCD when it comes to finnishing my own work so I dislike cheating. Ive never liked it to begin with. I just wondered how they went about that also.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2007, 05:08 PM
    It is normally just up to the parents, and some programs don't require testing, merely education with the parents judging the learning.

Depending on the program, and the state, some students have to take formalised state tests to be sure they are being educated up to standards.
    But with the formalised programs most standardised testing though your school district is not required.

Most homeschool programs recommend you stay as far away from the public school and the school board, If you check out the last link I gave you, there will be pages of court problems school districts have caused home schoolers.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Try LEAH as well- Loving Education at Home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search