Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wilmington Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Wall mount for cable, how do I prepare for cable line?
    I want to move my T.V. across the room, I have a wall mount with the wire there. What do I do to the wire that is not cable prepared to look like the one that is now being used? I need step by step instructions. If anyone can help me please!! :confused:
    Signed single mom trying to save a few bucks. I hate to pay the cable guy to come back out to strip a wire and connect my T.V. in the same room on an opposite wall.
    Thanks in advance for all your help!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2007, 11:29 AM
    I am not sure of your question. You just have a length of wire sticking out of the wall with no connector? You can buy the connectors at Radio Shack, other electronic retailers, or home centers. With a little luck, there will be a picture on the package showing how. You need to cut through a half inch back from the end, the outer black covering, the braided wire underneath, the white insulation, but not the solid wire in the middle. Slide the little ring from the connector back on to the wire. Then push the tube end of connector on to the cable with it going between the white insulation and the outer, braided wire. Slide the ring over the end of the cable and squeeze it tight. They make a tool for that, but with a little luck, you can manage one with a pair of pliers.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2007, 07:49 AM
    If you don't want to buy the crimpers, you can get Screw on F fittings. I don't like or use them, but they are easy and they work?
    If you do go to Radio Shack, Be sure you get the right size.
    RG 6 is the Larger Coax.
    RG 59 is the smaller. You need the correct size fitting.
    If you could spare an inch, cut off a piece and bring with you.
    Since you are a mom(girl), they may show you how, plus they may impress you with their technical abilities.
    On very old houses, or very old coax, the outer black insulation would get very hard and not allow fitting to be installed without applying a little heat(I use a lighter)to soften enough for fitting installation.
    You will also need a "Barrel" or inline connector to connect the 2.
    weetbix Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 07:48 PM
    Check with your cable company policy but unlike satellite most cable companys do not charge for service calls just a little explanation to the csr saying that the connector has come off the jack on the wall set up a service appointment and most techs will fix this in a matter of seconds but double check that they don't charge

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to mount a wall mount pot filler [ 3 Answers ]

I was thinking about installing a wall mounted pot filler in our kitchen. What type of fitting and mounting does this require. I am using ½” copper to a thread male. I will secure the pipe to the stud. Is this correct. How far out does the thread need to stick out of the wall.

Running in wall Coaxial Cable from Existing wall [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there, Is there someone here who is expert on electrical? I need help on running coaxial cable to my existing walls. I have a 1st floor where I have access to drilling holes into the second floor. I am willing to cut open holes for installing the single gang boxes. Now, here are my...

Garage door opener wall mount button [ 8 Answers ]

Just installed a stanley garage door opener model 810 and I tried to install the door mount button, but I'm having problems. The wall button is very similar looking like a doorbell in which I connect the 2 wires to the opener (motor). However when I connect, the door automatically opens, but when I...

Running video cable through an existing wall [ 6 Answers ]

2 questions: 1. I want to feed video cable into a wall so I can service several rooms through the attic. Is there any trick to getting the cable from the room, through a small hole, up through the insulation and out through a relatively small hole in the attic, or am I dreaming? 2. with new...

Gas Wall Mount heater [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Williams wall mount heater model #5009622. My problem is I do not know if it wired up correctly. I looked at an owners manual online and it showed a diagram of a control valve having three electrical posts. Mine has four. What I need to know is where all the components connect to the...

View more questions Search