Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    northe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2005, 02:34 PM
    Kitchen GFCI
    My kitchen is wired with alternating receptacles on a 12/3 wire. Can I get these GFCI protected? I tried hooking up the 12/3 through 2 GFCI receptacles to feed the alternating circuits, but it doesn't make sense and appears that I can't do it that way (how do you get 2 GFI circuits off one neutral?). Is it possible to do it off 2 GFCI receptacles? If not, can I do it from a multi-pole GFCI breaker (heard about it on the web)? Can I do anything except fish new 12/2 wires through the kitchen?

Thanks,

Ed
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2005, 05:49 PM
    Using the 2 pole GFI breaker that has a neutral connection will suffice. The only drawback will be both circuits will be interupppted if the GFI trips due to a fault on either of the circuits.

A single pole GFI device will not work with a shared neutral circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfci popping now? [ 5 Answers ]

OK I have a fridge and a freezer in basement plugged into an outlet that's connected to a 20 amp gfci receptacle in the garage wired to a 15 amp breaker in fuse panel. It's been this way for 15 years without problem.. Now gfci pops. I unplugged the freezer (about 5 years old) and everything works...

GFCI protection [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I just wired up my basement bathroom and was wondering if what I did was against some kind of code. I wired it for one GFCI outlet next to the sink. This outlet is the bottom half of one side of a double gang box. The top half is the light switch and the whole left half is a timer for...

Gfci [ 1 Answers ]

Is there ever a situation where it makes sense to have a GFCI outlet on the same circuit as a GFCI breaker? Will having a GFCI outlet on the same circuit as a GFCI breaker cause any damage? I recently bought a house and found the situation noted above.

Gfci installation. [ 1 Answers ]

Please help. How to connect a gfci receptacle with a light switch. It has a switch at the top to turn on and off from the medicine cabinet. Two black wires on top and two screw on the sides.

Gfci breaker [ 2 Answers ]

My question is I have a 50 amp GFCI breaker that I will be installing in the breaker box. I have another 50 amp GFCI breaker box that must be installed within 5 feet away from the hot tub. Is it OK to install both 50 amp GFCI breakers for this hot tub I realize I don't need two GFCI's but I...

View more questions Search