Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Myzy3175 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 06:15 AM
    24 hours in labor, no kittens!
    My cat started showing signs of labor yesterday morning almost 24 hours ago. She had a bloody mucus discharge and was obviously having contractions. Even at 10 pm last night she was howling and screaming, we have a futon type sofa that the cats like to lie under. She had been going there all day and we figured she would have the kitties there. We went to bed last night pretty sure she would have them in the middle of the night, we woke up this morning to no kitties.. She isn't even acting as if she is in labor anymore. She's the type of cat who only likes to be petted on the head so it is difficult for me to feel around on her belly and try to feel if the kittens are still moving.

Is it normal for contractions to stop or slow down? Does labor ever last over 24 hours?

Any info/experiences would be appreciated.

Tracy
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Jul 26, 2007, 02:09 AM
    Hello Myzy3175,

I am a concerned that you say your cat has been 'howling & Screaming' That suggests to me that there may be a problem. Although there may be nothing to worry about at the moment, I would advise you to ring your vet and ask them their advise. If she is showing any signs of distress, she may need help.

When 'Queening' (giving birth) a Queen can usually handle it very well on her own but words of comfort and a little petting can make her feel better.

They can go several hours without giving birth and can stop the birth of their other kittens if there is something worrying them.

Please go to:

Queening (Giving Birth) in Cats

Good luck to her and yourself. Please let us know how things go.

Cy
    (Poseidon)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pre labor/False labor [ 4 Answers ]

Ok odd question. How long can pre labor last? I have been having contractions since Sunday and they don't get any closer and/or change in intesity. I was just wondering since even with two previous births I have never before experienced this. I don't even know if it is pre labor or not. I just...

Hours [ 1 Answers ]

How many days a week do you work and how many hours are you typically working :eek:

Fourteen Hours [ 1 Answers ]

In 14 hours (1951) Agnes Moorehead tries to talk would be suicide Richard Basehart off a ledge by suggesting a vacation to what town?

Barking for 5 hours [ 7 Answers ]

We have a 1 and half year old rat terrier/wolf mix. I know what you're thinking. How in the?? The people we got the dog from certainly didn't plan on this litter of puppies! Anyway, she's bigger than a rat terrier but nowhere close to wolf size. She has really short fur so she gets cold easily. So...

Hours of Sleep [ 2 Answers ]

I've heard from a lot of people that seven to eight hours of sleep is best for a full nights sleep. My question is this though, for a person with a disease or some sort of illness that affects their body in some way, what would be their normal sleeping habits? Would seven to eight hours still be...

View more questions Search