Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AllenS Posts: 67, Reputation: 10

Jul 17, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Fears: Emetaphobia.
    Okay, so I have a bunch of fears. Fear of Heights,small spiders, What's in the dark ( not the dark itself) you know, normal usual things to fear.
    Besides one phobia. It's said to be very popular but I've only interacted with other on the net who have it.
    I have Emetaphobia. Fear of Puking and/or hear/seeing some one else puke.
    OK so ME puking doesn't bug me that much. I hate it. Yeah. But As long as it makes my stomach feel better I do fine.
    My main problem is hearing others Puke.
    It makes me flip. I start shaking, occasionally this is accompanied by the urge to rock back and forth ( not a crazy psycho rocking just a slow 'scared' rocking), I automatically cover my ears, and close my eyes. And if my head phones are near I turn up my music loudly.
    I realized how bad my condition waswhen I started living with my hubby.
    He pukes every now and then when brushing teeth. Gagging almost EVERY time he brushes.
    I don't know if this is odd in the phobia But I feel terrible and almost depressed when he walks in smiling like nothing happened. Its never a bad thing for him to puke because he's done it so much what with his gag reflexes being so sensitive with brushing and what not.
    I was wondering if any one has heard of this condition and if maybe any one knows anything to ease the anxiety besides therapy/counciling.
    It bothers me so much. I cringe every time he brushes just readying my hands for an ear covering, when he gags or pukes.
    PamelaAnn077 Posts: 19, Reputation: 6

Jul 17, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Well, let's see... I believe you have two options: (1) Be honest with your "hubby" and tell him how you feel. See if there's anything he can modify in his brushing/gagging. If he thinks there's no problem, he can't address it. Yes, people CAN change their habits and often do, if asked. (2) Therapy/counseling for you. Why do you want other suggestions when this is so effective for all kinds of anxiety? I suspect this isn't the only anxiety/phobic problem you're having. You can't take a magic pill and have this all fade away... you either need to chat with your partner OR make the changes in YOU... maybe both.

Good luck.

Jul 17, 2007, 11:35 PM
    Well... that reply sounded rather... um... hasty.
    You made it sound as if he could just count to three and he'd no longer gag. He knows it upset me. He tries VERY hard not to gag when he knows I'm near. We've talked about it and he knows my issue.

Be honest with your "hubby" and tell him how you feel. See if there's anything he can modify in his brushing/gagging. If he thinks there's no problem, he can't address it. Yes, people CAN change their habits and often do, if asked.
    I am always honest with him. He knows how I feel.He can't modify his gagging. It's a reflex. He know's there's a 'problem' he can't help it though. I know people CAN change their habbits... but Gagging isn't a habbit. Some people are born with sensitive gag reflexes and I understand that completely. He can't just say " poof be gone " and his gag reflex instantly stops gagging.

Counsiling around here costs quite a pretty penny as it's a VERY small town with very little people, so the counsilers need to make a living some how. Pardon me if I sounded rude or uncaring in any way ( not sarcasm). I was just going by how you seemed with your reply.

Jul 24, 2007, 12:04 PM
    ... some post on here get lost or replies, and others are left in cold water :P
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 12:15 PM
    If the main problem is when your hubby is brushing his teeth, why don't you make it a point to be out of earshot? If he's aware of your problem it shouldn't be hard for him to say, "Hey, gotta go brush!" and you can relocate to another place in the house. Or he can close the bathroom door and run the water to drown the sounds out or something. As far as other people, movies, etc, I really don't know what to say. Those are a bit more out of your control. Well, aside from not watching movies that have people throwing up! :)
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 12:34 PM
    http://www.byedr.com/Mental-Health/1...al-health.html

Hope the link is helpful
    :) :)
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Has your husband seen his doctor about the vomiting while brushing? That does not sound normal at all.

I agree with the poster that recommended that you go somewhere else while he brushes and ask him to close the door and maybe put a radio in the room.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 01:02 PM
    International Emetophobia Society - Chat Room

Another link I found

Jul 25, 2007, 05:35 PM
    thank you firm... I apreciate the links greatly =]
    ikgonz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2010, 04:11 PM
    AllenS,

I too suffer from Emetaphobia. I can completely understand what you are going through.

The sights, the sounds, it all puts me in a state of panic. I feel the strong ( and I mean STRONG) need to flee, cover my ears, close my eyes, even resort to humming or singing a song that I like, just to drown it all out.

I grew up hearing the sounds of my father every morning trying to clear his horrible sinuses. It was the worst thing, but I knew he couldn't help it. Mama would yell at him to stop using his vocal cords. It works for some people but not for Papa.

When my husband found out about my problem he was, and still is, very understanding about it. We eat out and I have had a few bad experiences, but with his gentle encouragement I don't let it stop me.
    If a movie contains vomiting and I don't know it beforehand I tell myself it's not real or leave the room. Or if we are at the cinema, I just leave and ask the manager if I can see another movie while my husband finishes watching the gross one. You will find that management in most establishments are quite understanding and will do what they can to accommodate. Don't be embarressed. Chances are you aren't the first person they have encountered with our dilemma. ;)

My husband isn't the one who gags when he brushes... it's me who does. I control my reaction to this by having a glass of cold water on hand to drink a bit of. It helps stop the gagging. Also deep breathing helps too. Maybe this will work for him too. :p

My advice to you? Talk to your husband and explain to him what you go through. I am sure that he will understand.

As for why we are the way we are? That's anybody's guess. But knowing that we are not alone it this can give us strength to forge ahead and find new "ingenius" ways of coping with what bothers us. Honesty and openness are (in my opinion anyway) the best tools.

We may never be rid of our Emetaphobia but we don't have to let it control our lives.

I shall pray for you and hope you do the same for me. HUGS! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girl with Commitment fears [ 1 Answers ]

I like this guy and could possibly like me too but I have relationship fears like commitment. So I have decided that I need help to get over my fear of commitment in order to enter a physical and emotional relationship with a man. I am a 16 year old girl who is striving for independence from my...

Interviewing Fears [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in retail management for over 7yrs, I am now looking for a job and of course Going on interviews. I fear them so much, because I don't do a good job at articulating my Skills an abilities, I am confident in my abilities and feel I can manage any establishment. I feel that my lack of...

My fears are getting in the way of me of having my crush [ 3 Answers ]

So here is the scoop. I have never really dated before and have liked this guy for a while. I am pretty positive that he likes me too. I have given him signals and then he pursued but then I just shut down. I can't even look at him in the eyes and when I am around him I feel like I am holding my...

My 5yr old fears public toliets [ 2 Answers ]

My 5 nearly 6yr old daughter has a fear of public toilets. When ever we go out and my daughter needs to go to the toilet, she checks to see if there is any holes in the pan or if the seat is different, she always looks right down the toilet and often she won't go saying she doesn't like it and she...

View more questions Search