Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chelse10906 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 04:13 PM
    How do I tell my parents?
    Im 17, and I think I'm pregnant, can anyone please give me some advice on how I can break the news to my parents if I am? I know regardless they're going to be mad, but it would really help a bunch!

Please and thank-you!:p
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 17, 2007, 04:27 PM
    First make sure that you are definitively pregnant. PLEASE stay away from planned parenthood, because they will do all they can to convince you to kill the child.

Telling your parents if you are is a whole other ball-game. The only thing to do is to tell them the exact truth, leave nothing out, answer all their questions with precision; and then, hold on.

XenoSapien
    twiggies Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Jul 17, 2007, 04:31 PM
    Yeah, I went to Planned Parenthood to take a pregnancy test and they were telling me all the places I could go to have an abortion. I didn't want to have an abortion. The pregnancy was not planned at all, but I am married and 23. Anyway, timing is everything. Just be completely honest with them. You will need their support... trust me! Good luck!
    Tropiclife Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chelse10906
    Im 17, and i think im pregnant, can anyone please give me some advice on how i can break the news to my parents if i am? I know regardless they're going to be mad, but it would really help a bunch!

please and thank-you!:p
    I found this on the net, I know nothing about them, but maybe they can assist:

Lifecall:

Several Sources Shelters
    P.O. Box 157
    Ramsey, NJ 07446
    Phone: (201) 825-7277
    Email: [email protected]
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Jul 18, 2007, 02:46 PM
    Having a plan helps. Have your medical care and/or living arrangements decided on before you talk to your parents (if they will even change). Know your financial plans and share them if asked. This shows maturity and your parents will see while although you did something they deem immature you are choosing to be adult. My parents are so proud of how mature and responsible I have become since I became pregnant.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2007, 03:17 PM
    Every county in every state in the US has a state health department, they will do a test there. Also there are many women's centers who are not fronts for the abortion industry.

As noted, Planned Parenthood is merely a front for the abortion industry, and have a record of breaking laws regarding minors and worst.
    peanut6966 Posts: 43, Reputation: 7

Jul 18, 2007, 04:09 PM
    I would say planned parenthood 1st to make sure you are pregnant, then I would apply at the county welfare office so you can get medical insurance for you and the soon to be baby... Of coarse your parents will be mad as all parents are but they will get over it. I got pregnant at 17 with my son and it was hard to tell my mom because I knew she would kill me but I had to and yes she was mad but she loved me :) When you are a parent there is no easy way to hear that your daugter is pregnant so just be upfront with them and Good Luck :)
    don8 Posts: 75, Reputation: 16

Jul 19, 2007, 01:58 PM
    I was sixteen when I got pregnant and I had the parents that preached being a virgin until marriage and all that. They were disappointed and yelled some but in the end they stood by my side and I made it through. I now have a six year old son who is the most important thing in the world to me and my parents adore him. They are very close with him and he thinks the world of them. They sure did a turn around when they saw him. I know it is hard to face them but keep in mind in the end they want what's best for you. Good luck
    udontno Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jul 20, 2007, 08:47 AM
    I would write a letter or sit down and just tell them
    yelloweyes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chelse10906
    Im 17, and i think im pregnant, can anyone please give me some advice on how i can break the news to my parents if i am? I know regardless they're going to be mad, but it would really help a bunch!

please and thank-you!:p
    I was 18 when I got pregnet so I know how you feel but parrents are more understanding that you would think I think you should just sit them down and tell them like an adult and you would be taking care of your child then you need to get a job to put money in the bank for the baby and show them how responsible you can and will be . Ashley
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Jul 20, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Go get a test, it. Go to planned parenthood if that's the only place you can go, or go to your normal doctor. It doesn't matter. As long as you get the answer you need. Don't let people tell you where you need to go or where to not go. As long as you get that blood test and the answer, then that's all you need. If you get a positive, call an OBGYN and get your appointment set up.

I'm 19 and 15 weeks pregnant. It was soooooo hard for my fiancé and I to tell our parents. We live three hours away from our mom's. We were going to do a surprise visit Mother's Day weekend, but I found out that Monday before that weekend, that I was pregnant. So I made them their mother's day gifts which were homemade scrap books of my fiancé Logan and I, and on the last page, I got small blank halmark cards and wrote exactly this "Logan and I have something important to say to you. We are sorry if we have disappointed you, and may upset you. this is something that we are both very excited for, scared, and happy about and hope you will share the happiness with us. We feel we need your love and support now more than ever. We knew what we were risking, and are both so thrilled with what has been given to us. WE are pregnant. We know the sterotypes against us and feel we are better than that. We hope you will also be filled with joy and happiness about bringing this little person into the world. We love you."

It takes three hours to get to where they live and it was the longest three hours of my life. I kept shaking and twirling my thumbs and on the verge of tears. As soon as we got to Logan's house, we handed his mom her mothers day gift. She kept looking through it, kept saying how beautiful it is, and how happy she was to see us. I just started crying. I hugged Logan and hid my face. As soon as she got to the last page, she opened up the card, and stated reading out loud. I started sobbing. As soon as she got to the "we need your love and support now more than ever" she put the card down and looked at us and asked "Are we having a baby?" I looked away and cried even harder. Then she came to us and hugged and kissed us, rubbed my belly and said "hello in there!" Then she called everyone she knew and said "I'm going to be a grandma!"

Then the three of us drove to my moms house then Logan and I got out of the car. I knocked on my moms door, as soon as she hugged me, I started crying so hard. She asked me what was wrong and I could not say a word. I was shaking so hard as I handed her the book I made. She put it off to the side and kept asking what was wrong and kept hugging me. I kept pointing to the book. Then she just said "becca tell me what is wrong" so I grabbed the book, took the card out. It was so hard for me to just say "Read it, just read it first." She read the card quietly to herself. When she was done, smiled, cried and said "aww!" Then she said "I'm only 46! This baby is not going to call me grandma!" Then she started saying she can never be disappointed in me no matter what.
    I seriously thought we would not be leaving alive. I thought they were going to yell and scream and never talk to us again. But I was so far from the truth it wasn't even funny.

Then I had to tell my dad. That was hard. He is one of those strong catholics, very judgmental, stereotypes A LOT, and msot of all isn't very fond of Logan. So I wrote him a card, and he read it, hugged me, and said "so when are you going to get married?" Then for awhile he would call the baby "the situation" I had to get after him about that and now since I am further along I think it hit him more and now he is a lot better about it. He has even volunteered to paint the baby's room and keeps picking out names.

Also be ready to answer questions. There will be a lot.

Its going to be so hard to tell your parents. There will be crying, hugging, possibly yelling, and that stupid question "how did this happen?" (try to hold back from any smarta*s remarks), but they are your parents and will get over it. Who knows they may surprise you. Besides, sooner or later your mom will take you out to get maternity clothes and baby stuff. Once you tell them, you will feel so much better. Trust me. If you feel you cannot say it to their faces (like me) then write a letter. And if you can, get the father of the baby to sit down and tell both of your parents together and say "WE are pregnant." Remember whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Don't like my parents [ 15 Answers ]

:mad: I am a 13 year old who wants to let her parents who she hates them without actually telling them so I can finally tell them I what is in my head. What is the best approach?

How can I tell my parents ? [ 7 Answers ]

Can any 1 help me I'm so scared and nervous to tell my parents I want to sing but I don't no how I'm scared they won't like my voice or they don't take me seriously can any 1 help ? Please

How to tell my parents? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I'm 16 and kind of like this guy who used to be my classmate. However, I' m now shifting to a new school. His parents know about me and like me, but I haven't told my parents yet. They got to know about us before and told me to break it off. They say it's not in our culture to date so I...

How to tell her parents? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm dating a stright a student who is like the perfect daughter. Her parents don't know about me.. I hope... I want to take her to the movies for our 1st month since we started going out... her parents are mean.. and I don't want to get her in trouble... what do I do?

Parents [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I just wanted to say my parents are splitting up, and I'm finding it really hard! I have moved away to a dance college and I get phone calls off my dad telling me to stay instead of coming home at weekends! But when I do come home he doesn't even talk to me! He just shakes his head as I walk...

View more questions Search