Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qazwsx82 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 07:19 AM
    Following up
    Hey so I'm a teen that just applied at a restaurant... yesterday I just dropped off my resume and I'm wondering... when should I make the follow-up call? And what do I say? Lol
    jross820 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Call the restaurant and ask for the manager and tell them that you dropped off your app. And see if they have had the time to look at it. But some places think you should go back up there in person because then you are really interested in the job
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2007, 10:02 PM
    Good, helpful answer above!

Stopping in after a few days is okay to do. Calling after a few days is okay, also. Try to speak with the person whom you know will be reviewing your application.

You might say "Hi, this is (name)." I dropped off my resume (application?) on (day) and was wondering if you received it and if there is any other information that you might need.

If you do get an interview, I would be sure to send a thank you note or card that is hand-written and short in content. Example: Dear (Name of person with whom you interviewed.) "Thank you for the interview." "I know that I would enjoy working at (place.)" "Please let me know if there is any other information that you might need." Signature.
    adeena Posts: 19, Reputation: 6

Jul 25, 2007, 06:38 PM
    As a business owner of a retail store who has employed many teenagers over the past several years...

Only one follow-up is necessary. Meaning just call once *or* stop in once *or* mail a letter once. Any more is just a nuisance.

There are many times when I put up the help wanted sign, I get flooded with applications and it does take a while for me to get through them. Only applicants who I'm interested in will get a call in for an interview. A follow-up is nice and shows an applicant is interested. A phone call every other day to see when they are going to get called is amazingly annoying a huge turn off.

If you're routinely not getting called back after dropping off applications, here are some other things to consider...
    1. If an application is not filled out completely, I won't call that person in for an interview. This shows a lack of attention to detail.
    2. The applicants attitude when they turn in the application also says a lot. I'm looking for someone who can make eye contact, smile and seem generally excited about working at my store. If they can't make eye contact with me, then what's going to happen when they interact with my customers?
    3. A lot of teens who are trying to get their first job don't seem to realize that even if they haven't held a paid position in the past, they should still mention things they did that are work: babysitting, camp counsellor, scout troop activities, etc.

Hope this helps!

-Adeena
    Author of "Cute Little Store: Between the entrepreneurial dream and business reality"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search