Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akreuter99 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 06:39 AM
    My adult dog pees in the crate
    Hi all. I adopted a 5 year old jack russel a few months ago. At first, she seemed housebroken, so we didn't crate her after the first few nights. But the accidents became more and more frequent, to the point where they were happening every day. So we started crating her when we went to work. Sometimes she's fine and sometimes she pees in her crate. We know she can hold it because when she sleeps at night with us, she's fine. Any ideas how I can stop her from peeing in the crate and then just get back to housebraking 101?
    Thanks,
    Alex:confused:
    jross820 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Are you using potty pads in the crate? If you are stop. She may be going thought separation anxiety. She doesn't pee at night when she sleeps with you maybe a blanket that smells like you. There are product on the market that is suppose to help stop animals peeing in certain areas that you don't want them to. I don't recall the name but you can find them at your petstore

Jul 17, 2007, 08:59 AM
    I'm not using pee pads. I guess we can try putting something in the crate that smells like us. As for something that will stop her from peeing in certain areas around the house, she does have her favorite spots but has peed pretty much about everywhere but our bedroom. So I don't know if those would work, or did you mean trying that in the crate?
    jross820 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 09:38 AM
    I had a dog that had her favorite spots also and I cleaned the spots a put down potty pads there and worked the pads towards the door tell it made its way out the door and she finally got the hint to go out side. Sadly I she got cancer and I had to put her to sleep.
    I meant trying the product in the crate. Did you have a pet before if you did she could be trying to cover their smell over
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2007, 09:54 AM
    It never hurts to start with a vet check.

For an immediate reduction of the problem, see the part about crates in the housebreaking sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809 I use a grid to reduce the consequences of young puppies' accidents before they can hold it at first. It is not a solution for you, but will reduce the mess until solved.

The problem could be from the stress of being left alone, or in protest of it. You could try a Kong filled with peanut butter. She could be too busy licking the peanut butter out to miss you. You may want to talk to the vet about medication too.

Whether it helps with the urination problem or not, you want to be firmly established as the leader. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

Jul 17, 2007, 09:56 AM
    We have another dog that was there first, but she doesn't have accidents. The pee pads are a good idea though. This way we can try it without the crate. Thanks! And sorry about your dog... I know the feeling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My puppy poops & pees in crate [ 12 Answers ]

My 7 month old shih-tzu puppy continues to poop & pee in his crate. We had a crate that was too big, which we used for the last few months. We just got him a smaller crate, more appropriate for his size, and now he's pooping in it more than he did in the large one. He continues to pee in it...

2-3 yr old dog pees and poops in crate [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We recently adopted a 2-3 yr old lab mix that had been rescued in Dec 2006, He is a bueatiful and loving dog but we have had him for about 3 weeks and are having trouble getting him to "do his business" outside. His rescue home had a doggie door. We both work so we have to leave during the...

MY Yorkie pees in his crate [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell my why my three month old Yorkie may be peeing in his bed? I tried the small crate.. he peed. I took the top off the crate, he still peed. I removed the crate from the bathroom and laid out a blanket for him, he peed on the blanket. He won't go poop in there just pee. If I wash...

My yorkie pees and poops in the crate [ 1 Answers ]

My yourkie pees and poos in the crate.. she know how to go out, and use the pee pad, but she rather use the crate or the house to relieve her self.. did I mention I also have a 18month old GSD.. he is great... but this 3 moths old has me cleaning 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.. help... :mad: ...

My Dog pees in his crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old english bulldog that is for the most part potty trained. I've had him for 3 months and he hasn't had an accident in the house for a long while. The only place he has accidents is in his crate if there is bedding in it. He can hold his pee all night long if he's sleeping...

View more questions Search