Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlt39 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 06:30 AM
    Bird
    A cardinal has been constantly flying into windows of house for 3 months. How do I stop without covering windows?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Net curtains? You can't really stop it without covering the windows. He either thinks that he can get inside, or he thinks there's another cardinal that he can see in the reflection of your window, and he's being territorial (or flirtatious?).

Maybe you could provide a distraction for him? A birdbath or a feeder or something?
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 08:40 AM
    He is probably attacking his reflection in the windows. I had a robin do this to all the windows at one end of my house one year. The glass was covered with smears and what appeared to be bird spit. I never thought of anything to do, but when breeding season was over, he stopped. The next year he did it less and then never again. You could try putting those silhouettes of predatory hawks or owls in your windows and see if that discourages him (and it probably is a him). Depending on the climate in your area, he may stop soon. Find out when cardinals stop breeding in your area and mark your calendar. I hope he stops soon! It sounds cute, but I know it gets kind of annoying after a while.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2007, 08:44 AM
    And it's sometimes downright dangerous, we have had pidgeons try it on 2 separate occasions, they went straight through the window. Blood, feathers and glass everywhere! Both times they managed to get out again. So hopefully they weren't too seriously injured.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    ...we have had pidgeons try it on 2 seperate occasions, they went straight through the window. Blood, feathers and glass everywhere! .
    Holy cow! I had no idea they could do that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my bird crazy? [ 6 Answers ]

My bird is going crazy and so are my other animals is there a ghost here it sure feels like it

Is dye in bird toys safe? How to clean bird toys? [ 8 Answers ]

I am usually the one that helps other people with their cockatiel or bird questions but this time I am the one that needs help. I have cockatiel birds and I have many bird toys that I buy from Walmart and PetsMart and the other day when cleaning my bird cage I decided to wash the toys with water...

Bird [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 birds (budgies) and they have been really healthy. However, over the past few weeks my female bird has been wheezing and sneezing quite a bit. It's almost like she is having a tough time breathing. Oddly enough, she is still eating normally, hasn't lost weight and still has quite a bit...

Bird Flu [ 1 Answers ]

What is avian influenza (bird flu)? Bird flu is an infection caused by avian (bird) influenza (flu) viruses. These flu viruses occur naturally among birds. Wild birds worldwide carry the viruses in their intestines, but usually do not get sick from them. However, bird flu is very contagious...

View more questions Search