Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NMANGALAMdileep Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 02:19 AM
    Comparison of torque and power
    How torque and power of cars can be correctly compared, as it is normally specified in different rpm's.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 17, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Every vehicle engine, or motor, regardless of fuel type (Hybrid, Gasoline, Propane, Hydrogen, Electric, ect) has an expected operational range.

For this conversation, we won't go into the differences between an engine as compared to a motor. That will need it's own post. We will just use the generic term: engine.

Operational range is the way in which the engine is going to be used and operational characteristics are designed into the engine for that anticipated use. Since not all will used the same way, the engines operating range is conditioned for its application.

I.E.: compare the engine needs for a small convertible sports car (light weight and responsive) to the needs of a semi truck (heavy loads and extended run time).
    It's not fair to compare apples to oranges. But to compare similar vehicles, you still have to analyze how it will be driven and make your decisions based on that.

These links go into more depth:

Motive power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Torque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1990 dollar comparison? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know where to find a table that includes a comparison of 1990 dollars with 2007 dollars? I.e., "$10k in 1990 dollars is equivalent to $___ in 2007 dollars?"

Small Riding Mowers Comparison [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1/4 acre lot in Fl and because I'm disabled I need a small riding mower, preferably with a Kohler engine(had a lot of bad luck with B&S) What do you recommend?

Processor Comparison [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process purchasing a laptop computer. There are many processors to choose from these days and I was hoping someone could enlighten me about the differences in the many styles/brands of processors currently offered for these computers. I have always preferred Pentium 4 processors. ...

View more questions Search