Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LMTWA Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2005, 04:36 PM
    Toilet burp
    Speedball1
    I have read most of the posts regarding similar problems. I just bought this 3/2 one story (small) house. 14 years old. No reported problems (disclosure - ;D ). Shortly after buying I noticed that whenever you flush either toilet - it immediately gives one large bubble of air (partial clog? ) with no other indications and no slow drains anywhere in the house. This is on city sewer and close to the street. I am not seeing a cleanout (to test the washer theory). I have a one year home warranty - but the only symptopm (so far) is the burp in both toilets. Any advice?
    Thanks...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 17, 2005, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LMTWA
    Speedball1
    I have read most of the posts regarding similar problems. I just bought this 3/2 one story (small) house. 14 years old. No reported problems (disclosure - ;D ). Shortly after buying I noticed that whenever you flush either toilet - it immediately gives one large bubble of air (partial clog??) with no other indications and no slow drains anywhere in the house. This is on city sewer and close to the street. I am not seeing a cleanout (to test the washer theory). I have a one year home warranty - but the only symptopm (so far) is the burp in both toilets. Any advice?
    Thanks...
    Congratulations! You have analyzed your problem without any outside help.
    You, indeed, have a partial blockage. Partial blockages are funny,(odd). They will let a minor discharge drain on past with no problem but let a major fixture such as a toilet or a washer, (by the way, does the washer send back a "burp" also?) discharge a large volume of water and when it hits a partial clog it bounces back for a instant sending a bubble of air ahead of it and your potty acts like Old Faithful and then drains away normally . Partial blockages can only get worse. Don't let your builder tell you that a john that " belches" without saying, "excuse me" is normal. From what you tell me the blockage's downstream from both toilets. I would have them snake out the main and see if that helps the situation. Good luck, Tom

Jul 27, 2005, 04:09 PM
    Toilet burp
    Speedball
    The plumber came today and before we started he asked if this was going on since the house was built (1992) - I said I didn't know, I only owned it since June. (The inspector that I hired didn't mention the toilets). The plumber said he was doubtful if the snaking would do much. But he snaked the lines to the street with the water flowing well (looking through the cleanout) the entire time. He then went to the roof and checked both stacks while flushing - normal operation. Last he discovered that if he put his finger in the hole at the front of the toilet (under water), the flush was normal. (both toilets) - He said the only cure was to change both toilets - but since they both seemed to work fine except for the burp, he didn't recommend changing them at this time.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 28, 2005, 06:34 AM
    Speedball
    The plumber came today and before we started he asked if this was going on since the house was built (1992) - I said I didn't know, I only owned it since June. (The inspector that I hired didn't mention the toilets). The plumber said he was doubtful if the snaking would do much. But he snaked the lines to the street with the water flowing well (looking through the cleanout) the entire time. He then went to the roof and checked both stacks while flushing - normal operation. Last he discovered that if he put his finger in the hole at the front of the toilet (under water), the flush was normal. (both toilets) - He said the only cure was to change both toilets - but since they both seemed to work fine except for the burp, he didn't recommend changing them at this time.

As much as I hate to go "heads up" with another plumber I disagree that changing out the toilets will solve anything. Toilet "burps" are caused by only one thing, backpressure. Are these toilets back to back? Did he pull a toilet and snake out the branch or just the line from the house to the street? However, he might have had a point when he asked if this has been a ongoing problem from day one. If both toilets discharge into the same branch then a 90 degree elbo placed in the branch close to the toilets could set up a backpressure without a clog being present. This would be a "plumbing design flaw" in your home. Don't let anyone tell you that a toilet that belches air when flushed is normal. You have a warranty on your house. Hold them to it. Would it be possible for you to contact the original owners and find out if this has really been ongoing since the house was built?
    Hang in there. Tom

Jul 28, 2005, 08:37 AM
    Toilet burp
    The toilets are not back to back and each has a separate stack. Just to clarify - the plumber was not saying it's "normal". He was saying that the original installation may be at fault. As for the "warranty" from the original builder - that was 13 years ago and about 4 owners in-between. I may be able to ask the last owner (2 years).

I was curious why blocking the small hole in the front of the bowl would make the problem disappear.

Thanks for your trouble.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 28, 2005, 11:52 AM
    The toilets are not back to back and each has a separate stack. Just to clarify - the plumber was not saying it's "normal". He was saying that the original installation may be at fault. As for the "warranty" from the original builder - that was 13 years ago and about 4 owners in-between. I may be able to ask the last owner (2 years).

I was curious why blocking the small hole in the front of the bowl would make the problem disappear.

Thanks for your trouble.
    That small hole is the jet that starts the flush action. By blocking it your plumber diminished the force of the flush which leads me to believe that you indeed have a plumbing design flaw. I wish you the best of luck. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet empties when different toilet flushed [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have a confusing problem.I just installed a new toilet in place of an existing one. The promblem is when I flush the new toto toilet, my other toilet bowl almost completely empties.. The 2 toilets are basically back to back, and use the same vent pipe through the roof.(3 inch copper).No pipes...

Water rushes up when the toilet is flushed into another toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 storey layout house. The guest restroom on the ground floor is exactly below the Jack and Jill Washroom of the top floor. It looks in both the restrooms the toilets share the pipe line The problem is when someone goes to restroom on the ground floor , the top floor toilet gets...

Toilet again [ 2 Answers ]

I'v been dealing with this plumbing thing for about 6 months or so and I still can't get it just right. I bought a new flapper about 6 months ago and I've been adjusting it on & off every since and now the flapper is being sucked into the hole causing my water to continue to run. Could you please...

Burp and then slow flush [ 3 Answers ]

OK, there is a slow flushing stool, tank type with a flapper. When you flush it, a burst of air comes first and then the water slowly drains. It is the style that has the hole to start action, and it is clear. The one right next to it is OK. There is one vent for 2 rest rooms, a water fountain,...

Toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I started smelling sewage in my basement bathroom, and when I looked in the toilet, it had no water in it(none on the floor) It was used the previous day. When I flushed it, it seemed to be normal and stay at the correct level. I came back and checked about a half hour later and still seemed fine. ...

View more questions Search