Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nealsmemory Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 16, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever?
    My son was given a possible diagnosis today for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I'm not convinced, but since there's not a quick definitive test, has anyone had it and can say, "look for this symptom"? Steady fever of around 102, headache (but not excruciating), says he feels 'stiff' all over, dizzy immediately upon standing and nauseous when he gets up. (But hasn't thrown up.) It's just so strange and as a mom, I admit it, I'm panicking!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 16, 2007, 05:02 PM
    So he has been bitten by a tick recently? Have you done your internet research?

I would hate to post links to sites you have already looked at.

Jul 17, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Yes, I have researched internet; symptoms are synonymous with so many other illnesses! Don't know of a tick bite, however he did pick blackberries a few days ago and brushed 3 off him (they weren't attached). I read that you can get infected even if the tick isn't attached. Also read that "the fever mimics many viral infections, which can make for a difficult diagnosis".
    He's no better today, right now fever is 104.5. He has no rash at this time, but read that it could be 3-5 days. Still nauseous but no vomiting, no appetite, but I'm forcing him to drink Gatorade, tea and water as much as he will - usually a few sips each hour.
    Expert

Jul 17, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Fever of 104.5, you should be in the car on the way to the ER right now!!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 01:00 PM
    I would also question the doctor about meningitis.(virual, bacterial or pneumoccal) But as j9 said take him to ER now. I would not give him tea, as it is a diuretic.
    Expert

Jul 17, 2007, 01:02 PM
    I started thinking that too Bushg!! But hesitated, it is a frightening illness, my son had it at 7 months.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 01:11 PM
    My daughter was tested at 3 weeks old for it . Turned out it was just a severe ear infection. The test were hard. I feel for your son they tesed my daughter 3 times to make sure. :(I knew an older man that had it and he was in some serious trouble. This mom really needs to find out the root of her child's problem. His fever can cause some serious problems. He would def. be in the hospital until the dr's could tell me something.
    Expert

Jul 17, 2007, 01:15 PM
    We did the LP with Johnny when he had similar symptoms as the OP. But him being only 7 months he couldn't talk about it. LOL

He just spiked a fever and got VERY lethargic. We spent 2 weeks in the hospital. It was a nightmare.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Which type was it?
    Expert

Jul 17, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Luckily he had viral. I could have taken better care of him at home (you can be sure I won't work at that hospital when I graduate), but at least he was getting the necessary fluids while the cultures were growing.

Jul 21, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Thanks for all the help. We just got home from hospital; they admitted our son Wed AM. They now say he did not have Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and don't what was wrong. Dr. this AM said it must have been a 'viral infection', so I asked if that was so, I wonder why none of our other children have it or any of our friends? She shrugged and said, "I don't know". We were treated like royalty in the hospital, and I am so thankful to say, "We're better!!!"
    Expert

Jul 21, 2007, 01:08 PM
    That is very good to hear.

When my son had viral meningitis no one else in our family got it.

Nice to know all is well now.
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Glad to know everything turned out OK.:)
    maggiemae Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jul 24, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Thanks for all the help. Just FYI - we went back to Dr. today, we have an official diagnosis of encephalitis. Words cannot express how thankful I am that he is doing so well.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Maggie your son was very lucky. A friend of my familys was in a comma due to this in march and he is still recovering from the effects.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Spotted tongue? [ 6 Answers ]

I have small blackish/brownish spots on my tongue, near the end the sides. Recently someone commented that this is odd. The spots have always been there, and they look like individually discolored tastebuds. Does anyone know what they are? Do freckled tongues exist? Does anyone else have a weirdo...

Mouse spotted! [ 9 Answers ]

Help me! I saw a little gray mouse scurry across my hallway into my living room. I am deftly afraid of mice. Help me get rid of them in a hurry!! I don't have open food containers or anything. I try not to have clutter. What should I do besides glue traps. I've had the electronic pest things...

Rocky [ 7 Answers ]

Just wanted to let you know that at 9:50 tonight, Me and around 8 friends will be going to see ROCKY BABLBOA!! It's going to be awesome and I urge everyone to see this movie!! I actually have a replica of the robe Rocky wore in Rocky II and will be wearing it TONIGHT!! So please everyone do...

Rocky Balboa: Do It For Adrian? [ 3 Answers ]

K... First off I would like to say that this question/poll has been brought upon me by the Rocky Marathon on Spike TV Today, that and the fact that Rocky Balboa the movie is being released December 22. Now I am a HUGE FAN of Rocky, I own all 5, that's right count him up, 5! And I am convinced that...

Rocky patch after 11 years [ 31 Answers ]

I am in a mess, and need some advice. My wife and I have been together for 11 years. She recently told me she does not have "those" feelings for me anymore. I was shocked and heartbroke. She claims I was the perfect husband and father and it has nothing to do with me and that she is not seeing...

View more questions Search