Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ka_leed Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2005, 02:00 AM
    Software with .iso extension
    I've downloaded Microsoft office 2003 from a p2p software. However, when I unzip the folder, the downloaded file appears in an .iso file, with a type of ISO image file, when I click on it to open it, it automatically transfers to the CD writer software asking me to record this file on a blank CD.
    I burned it on a CD, and tried to open from the CD, same thing happened. It opens in the CD writer software and promt me to burn it again.
    Can anyone help me
    Plus, I have downloaded 2 more files with an extension of .bin and another one it appears as an IMG file, how can I install these 2 software on my computer please. Whenever I click on it, it's asking me to open it from the "Open with" list,but I don't know which program to use to open it
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2005, 05:38 AM
    Iso files
    Hi,
    Here is a link:

http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

This link give you step by step instructions on how to do what you want. It also gives a link for "ISO Recorder", which is a free program, to download/install, to let you follow all these steps.

Best wishes,
    fredg
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Jul 16, 2005, 07:38 PM
    Howdy:

Since when did you start supporting pirated software fred?? The guy downloaded Office2003 from a P2P site.. Give your head a shake ..

Ka-leed: What you are asking is illegal as is anyone trying to help you pirate software! If you want the program, BUY IT !!

Murray
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jul 16, 2005, 09:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SESaskDFC
    ka-leed: What you are asking is illegal as is anyone trying to help you pirate software!!
    Well, technically, no it isn't.

ka_leed was asking how to burn an iso file, not how to _find_ the iso file or crack the included software. IANAL, but from my interpretation of US copyright law and the DMCA, asking such a question is not illegal.

Should the question be something more like "where do I get a program to break the MS Office copy protection mechanism?" or "where can I find an MS Office torrent?" or even "how do I watch my legal store-bought encrypted DVDs in FreeBSD or Linux?" (yes, this does involve a DMCA violation, wonderful law... ) it would be a different story.

However, in the future, to prevent any sort of ambiguity, please _do not_ mention any use of or desire for pirated software or admit to copyright infringement when you post...

Thank you,
    psi42
    ka_leed Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2005, 11:15 PM
    Thanks a lot of the help.
    Regarding the legality of my question, I apologize for the inconvenience that it caused. In the future, I will not refer to any p2p software whatsoever.

Have a nice day

Jul 17, 2005, 05:50 AM
    Thank you for this sites clarification.. Most every other forum I belong to would consider the mere downloading of a commercial product from a P2P (pirating) website when that product is NOT legally available as a download illegal as heck..

Murray

Jul 17, 2005, 01:09 PM
    Most every other forum I belong to would consider the mere downloading of a commercial product from a P2P (pirating) website when that product is NOT legally available as a download illegal as heck..
    It is... but like I said, the question really had nothing to do with copyright infringement other than the admission of said offense in the first sentence. ;)
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2005, 05:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ka_leed
    Regarding the legality of my question, I apologize for the inconvenience that it caused. In the future, i will not refer to any p2p software whatsoever.

Have a nice day

I prefer using the terms "A friend has lent me" ;) Just want to say - watch yourself. Downloading of P2P sites isn't a great idea due to the obvious reasons. You could get Office 2000 on Ebay for cheap nowadays and is a much more legal way to get what you need.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 20, 2005, 05:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by psi42
    Well, technically, no it isn't.

ka_leed was asking how to burn an iso file, not how to _find_ the iso file or crack the included software. Thank you,
    psi42
    I must disagree with you.

when i click on it to open it, ...
    Plus, i have downloaded 2 more files ...how can i install these 2 software on my computer please.
    From these quotes it seems clear that what was being asked was how to install the apparently pirated software. The part about burning the ISO file to CD was only in terms of trying to install the software.

I'm responding to this more because of another issue. I think that ANY volunteer here (or at any other site) that posts information that aids in or condones the pirating of copyrighted material should be actioned. With the recent Court ruling on P2P its clearer that use of such services is illegal.

In my opinion to only proper response to the original question would have been something like:

Please don't ask or expect us to help you pirate software. Illegal activities are not supported here!

An answer like Fred's should generate a warning from the moderators for a first offense (and this is not the first time Fred has answered like that). Repeating such offenses should result in suspension and/or termination of participation.

Scott<>

Jul 20, 2005, 07:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I must disagree with you.

when i click on it to open it, ...
    Plus, i have downloaded 2 more files ...how can i install these 2 software on my computer please.
    His two other files were simply CD images in bin and img format. Essentially, his second question was the same as the first -- how to burn a cd image to a disc.

From these quotes it seems clear that what was being asked was how to install the apparently pirated software. The part about burning the ISO file to CD was only in terms of trying to install the software.
    Hmm... consider the difference between these hypothetical questions:

1) "I downloaded MS Office using a p2p program. It came as an ISO file. What am I supposed to do with this file?"

2) "My friend wrote a computer game in his spare time. He asked me to take a look at it and tell him my thoughts, but he sent it to me as an ISO file. What am I supposed to do with this file?"

Question 1 gives a strong impression that copyright infringement is involved, while question 2 does not. However, the answer to both questions is exactly the same.

I'm responding to this more because of another issue. I think that ANY volunteer here (or at any other site) that posts information that aids in or condones the pirating of copyrighted material should be actioned.
    But that is simply not the case in this situation. Giving a link to a program to burn an ISO file is not copyright infringement.

With the recent Court ruling on P2P its clearer that use of such services is illegal.
    Did you read the decision? Although the Supreme Court's decision in MGM v. Grokster is essentially founded in a fundamental ignorance of the way online distribution works, it does state, very specifically, what it finds to be illegal. It _does not_ state that all P2P programs are illegal.

It does state that companies like Grokster, which built and marketed their P2P programs solely for the purpose of being an aid in copyright infringement (a purpose they advertised very visibly), are responsible for the infringement that occurs on their network.

However, a P2P program like BitTorrent, which was built and is used for many non-infringing purposes, and is not run by a company who advertises in the same fashion as Grokster, is _not_ illegal.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...pdf/04-480.pdf

In my opinion to only proper response to the original question would have been something like:

Please don't ask or expect us to help you pirate software. Illegal activities are not supported here!
    The original poster was not asking how to obtain pirated software (copyright infringement) or how to crack said software (DMCA violation). ka_leed simply wanted to know what to do with an ISO file.

Have a nice day ;)
    psi42
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2005, 03:59 AM
    Quick side question on this issue. Consider the following situation.

A friend and I both walk into a store and buy copies of MS Office. 2 months down the line, my CD gets scratched and ruined. I'm going to need a new copy of MS Office. Upon telling me my friend this he says I should have made a backup copy of the disk. He offers to send me an image of the CD via P2P software.

Would this situation be an illegal use of software? I would not be using my friends product code etc. I would be using my original.

This would link to Scott and PSI's debate. I don't think Ka_leed was asking an illegal question. If he didn't say the words "MS Office" the question would have been answered fine. It's just because he dropped the name of a piece of software that we know is readyily available illegally via P2P software. If the question was "I just download SuSE Linux via some P2P software but it's an ISO - how do I install it?", nobody would have given answering a 2nd thought.

Jul 21, 2005, 05:42 AM
    His two other files were simply CD images in bin and img format. Essentially, his second question was the same as the first -- how to burn a cd image to a disc.
    If you read the question the only reason that burning to CD got involved was because; "when i click on it to open it, it automatically transfers to the CD writer software asking me to record this file on a blank CD." Its clear that the question was how to install the software he downloaded, not how to burn it to CD.

Hmm.... consider the difference between these hypothetical questions:

1) "I downloaded MS Office using a p2p program. It came as an ISO file. What am I supposed to do with this file?"

2) "My friend wrote a computer game in his spare time. He asked me to take a look at it and tell him my thoughts, but he sent it to me as an ISO file. What am I supposed to do with this file?"

Question 1 gives a strong impression that copyright infringement is involved, while question 2 does not. However, the answer to both questions is exactly the same.
    True, the technical answer to both questions is the same, but the ETHICAL answer is not. The Ethical answer to the first question is: "You delete the file, since its a pirated copy of copyrighted software!"

But that is simply not the case in this situation. Giving a link to a program to burn an ISO file is not copyright infringement.
    Again true, but again, in the context of the two versions of the question above, as soon as the asker indicated the reason for the question was to use pirated software, then ethics should have resulted in an answer like I showed. To provide assistance in this case is condoning piracy. And any volunteer condoning piracy should be censured.

As to the court decision, I agree it doesn't make all P2P illegal, but it makes the strongest statement yet, that use of them to pirate is illegal.

The original poster was not asking how to obtain pirated software (copyright infringement) or how to crack said software (DMCA violation). ka_leed simply wanted to know what to do with an ISO file.
    If you read the original question its clear what he is asking is how to install the programs he downloaded. Not just what to do with an ISO file.

Jul 21, 2005, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LTheobald
    Quick side question on this issue. Consider the following situation.

A friend and I both walk into a store and buy copies of MS Office. 2 months down the line, my CD gets scratched and ruined. I'm going to need a new copy of MS Office. Upon telling me my friend this he says I should have made a backup copy of the disk. He offers to send me an image of the CD via P2P software.

Would this situation be an illegal use of software? I would not be using my friends product code etc. I would be using my original.

This would link to Scott and PSI's debate. I don't think Ka_leed was asking an illegal question. If he didn't say the words "MS Office" the question would have been answered fine. It's just because he dropped the name of a piece of software that we know is readyily available illegally via P2P software. If the question was "I just download SuSE Linux via some P2P software but it's an ISO - how do I install it?", nobody would have given answering a 2nd thought.
    The key here is the fair use doctrine. You are entitled to make copies of copyrighted material for personal use. How you create those copies is immaterial. For example. I have a bunch of old LPs. I am entitled to make copies of them onto tape, CD, etc. as long as I keep those copies for my own personal use. Therefore, I could legally go onto a P2P site and download MP3s of the albums (or individual tracks) and burn to a CD. It doesn't matter how I obtained the copies since I'm legally entitled to have the copies. The only problem with your scenario is the activation keys on the Office CDs. Its possible that your legal activation key might not work with your friend's disk.

As I said in my answer to PSI, the asker made the mistake of admitting that he had downloaded copyrighted material. But once he did that, ethics should have kicked in and a response condemining piracy was in order.

Scott<>

Jul 22, 2005, 11:05 AM
    Howdy:

It isn't the disk that makes the install legal, it's having a legal key code..

As long as the disk isn't OEM and is a regualr retail disk, then YOUR original key code should work and it would be considered a legal install..

As the original poster admitted to downloading the game via P2P, I am betting they DO NOT have a legal key code or serial number and have pirated that as well..

Therefore, helping them install this program, be it burning the .iso to a disk or bypassing a disk in drive requirement, is assisting with piracy..

I know of a couple sites that have been raked over the coals for allowing that on their sites as most major software companies take a very dim view of this..

To that end, I have been considering sending this thread to the Microsoft Anti-Piracy Division and let them make the final determination..

Murray

Jul 22, 2005, 07:29 PM
    True, the technical answer to both questions is the same, but the ETHICAL answer is not. The Ethical answer to the first question is: "You delete the file, since its a pirated copy of copyrighted software!"
    I don't recall having mentioned "ethics" at all. I simply stated that Fred's response to the question was not illegal.

The "ethical" side of this issue is a very grey area, as the lawmakers (at least in the US) are sadly very far behind the times and simply don't know how to govern these situations.

The key here is the fair use doctrine. You are entitled to make copies of copyrighted material for personal use. How you create those copies is immaterial. For example. I have a bunch of old LPs. I am entitled to make copies of them onto tape, CD, etc. as long as I keep those copies for my own personal use. Therefore, I could legally go onto a P2P site and download MP3s of the albums (or individual tracks) and burn to a CD. It doesn't matter how I obtained the copies since I'm legally entitled to have the copies. The only problem with your scenario is the activation keys on the Office CDs. Its possible that your legal activation key might not work with your friend's disk.
    Well, things don't actually work this way.

How you make the copy is _not_ immaterial. For example, most commercial "Hollywood" dvds are protected by a weak encryption system known as the Content Scrambling System, or CSS, which was broken a long time ago.

In order to make your "fair use" copy, you have to obtain and use some software that functions to bypass CSS. This is a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. So much for your fair use.

And while we're on the topic, how do you know ka_leed wasn't simply making use of these "fair use" rights we are supposed to have by getting a copy of legally-bought software through a p2p network?

To that end, I have been considering sending this thread to the Microsoft Anti-Piracy Division and let them make the final determination..
    Excuse me?

Microsoft's opninion on this matter, whatever it may be, has absolutely no bearing on the legality of this situation whatsoever.

Microsoft is a private corporation, not a law making, reviewing, or enforcing body.

They are not your government.

Despite all the clouds of fear and uncertainty conjured by the Business Software Alliance, the RIAA, and the MPAA, they are simply private corporations and have no further authority.

Perhaps what you meant to say was 'I will read up on US copyright law and figure out what the "final determination" actually is.'

Have a nice day ;)
    psi42

Jul 23, 2005, 04:08 AM
    PSI,

But this is all about Ethics! I've never indicated that Fred's answer wasn't legal. My main point was that the original question clearly was asking how to install apparently pirated software. To provide assistance to do that was unethical. And that such behavior should be actioned.

Yes, questioning the reason for downloading those files might have justified helping, but that isn't what happened.

As to fair use. Not all disks are protected from copying. Yes it would be illegal to use a banned tool like X-Copy to make a copy of a protected disk. But the illegality is uing the tool, not making the copy as long as its only for personal use.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2005, 04:28 AM
    Software
    Hi,
    Isn't is nice how such a simple question can be turned into something awesome by someone?
    fredg

Jul 25, 2005, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    Isn't is nice how such a simple question can be turned into something awesome by someone?
    fredg
    It wasn't so much the question, Fred, as it was the answer. Yes, the question was fairly simple. The question boiled down to; 'How do I install software that I pirated?'

It was the answer that generated all the fuss. The answer showed a lack of ethics by offering help in doing the install instead of telling the asker to obtain legal copies of the software.

Scott<>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair extension [ 12 Answers ]

To do my hair in beautiful model for me, I have decided to use hair extension and color for it. Based on my picture, is it possible for me and if so, what model of hair extension and color?

Files with an *.ISO extension [ 20 Answers ]

Does anyone have advice on how to open and use the contents of an *.ISO file?

Income Tax Extension [ 1 Answers ]

I filed for an extension in April for my 2005 taxes. How long is the extension for? When is the dealdine for me to file by now?

Help in PHP extension [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Im triying to built a PHP extension, that will calls some other functions in some other .so files( in windows this is .dll files ) in Linux, I got the following error PHP Warning: Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library '/opt/httpd/apache/php/ext/libbgt.so' -...

Tub Drain Extension [ 1 Answers ]

My basement has a rough-in for a traditional tub with the drain at one end but I have my eye on a whirlpool tub with the drain in the middle. I prefer not to bust out the concrete to relocate the drain. Is it acceptable to build a wooden platform to support the tub and provide clearance...

View more questions Search