Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TTK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2007, 01:07 PM
    Older Type 1 Whirlpool Dryer Overheating
    Have and older Whirlpool type 1 dryer that's overheating. The top gets red hot and it will shut off at the end of the cycle but it shouldn't get nearly THAT hot. Checked element for shorts by leaving the door open, set the timer on "Time setting" and checked the element - it's off. Pulled and checked the high temp thermostat by reading it closed across the terminals and using a stove igniter to heat up the bi-metal part till it opened (only about 20-30 seconds). That looks to be good too. Suspect a short in the temp switch because the element heats even when the switch is in the "air fluff" position. Am I on track here? I am concerned that the high temp t-stat didn't shut the element off when it got that hot but there's still the fact that the element is on when the temp switch is in "air fluff". Please Advise. Thanks. TTK
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 02:47 PM
    I think you may have a bias thermostat in you unit. It is just like a regular operating stat but generates a small amount of heat which causes the operating stat to open sooner keeping the drum cooler inside. I would check this. It is located on back side and looks much like others but is mounted on a little heater type plate. The wires are connected to the plate, not the stat.
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Jul 16, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Heat during air fluff is definitely a problem.

What is the model number of the dryer so we can look up the wiring?
    TTK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Thanks for the help!

Esquire 1: I don't think I have one. I checked and didn't see anything like it. The temp selector has a copper thermocouple lead that goes down to, and mounts in, the ducting just prior to the exhaust vent. The only other component back there is the high temp stat.

Stew 1962: Model #LVE 7700 Stk# LVE770 S/N M01411758 Hope that helps.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 04:21 AM
    I would change the temp switch as well as the high limit stat.then. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older GE dryer squeaking & shrieking [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I have an older top loading GE Heavy Duty dryer. It's making God awful squeaking, very high pitched and terrible on the ears when being run. I've read over the previous posts on the subject.. how do I know if it's the belt or the bearing? There's no way I can afford a professional...

Hotpoint dryer overheating [ 4 Answers ]

I got this dryer disassembled from a guy who tried to fix it, said it shut off. I got it all back together and it runs good but gets way too hot. I checked for air blockage, airflow SEEMS fine, I do have a 90 degree bend in the exhaust tube, but don't think it's enough to cause the...

Older Maytag dryer won't start [ 1 Answers ]

We have an older Maytag dryer that will start one out of three times. Sometimes, it will chug like a car that won't turn over. We really don't want to have to buy a new dryer, so if there is a cheaper alternative please help!

View more questions Search