Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmyusaf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Buying the property you are renting
    If you are renting a property, and before the lease is up you buy the property from the owner, when does the owner have to return to security deposit? (At closing or does he have 30 days)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 16, 2007, 11:43 AM
    This is a rather interesting situation. Most state laws specify a return perod based on either when the lease ends or the tenant vacates. The clock starts at that point and runs for a period (usually 30 days or less) depending on the area. I don't think the laws specifically address this situation. So it should be an issue of negotiation. You should have an attorney representing you at closing. I would make sure its stipulated that you will deduct the security from the amount being paid to the former owner. There should be no issue of unpaid rents or damage to the property, since any damages would become the responsibility of the new owner (the former tenant) and the security deposit would nt be required by the landlord since he would not be responsible for any expense.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 03:24 PM
    At closing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 16, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Yes, at closing, it is not actually "returned' but would be added in to the closing statement as a credit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renting a home owned and buying another [ 4 Answers ]

We are in the process of buying a new home to be built in June 07 and will have to mortgage 160k. We currently own a 8 month old home (paid for in cash). However my husband wants to rent this home to pay for the mortgage on the other new home, I say sell, he says rent ! I'd rather sell and be...

Unmarried couple buying property together [ 2 Answers ]

My partner and I are buying a house, I was unable to get my name onto the mortgage because of adverse credit history in the past. His name will be the only name on the mortgage. I feel financially vuknerable. I will be making a 50% contribution towards the purchase of the house, also will be...

Buying a negotiated property in Arkansas. [ 1 Answers ]

I am new at purchasing tax deeds and just want some advice from experienced buyers. I am interesting in purchasing a negotiated property in Arkansas. WHat exactly can I do with the property? Can I rent it out or sell it right away, or do I have to wait? Also, with a tax deed, what can I do with...

Buying investment real estate and renting it to myself [ 5 Answers ]

Just wondering... Is it legal to buy a small house, put the property in an LLC, and rent it to myself under another LLC? I am self employed in sales. While a lot of people in my field work out of their house, I chose to rent a small office. Rather than keep paying rent and see the money go...

Capital gains/renting out property [ 1 Answers ]

I currently own a townhouse in MD and have lived there for the last 14 months. I would like to keep the property to rent out for the next few years and rent a home closer to my job in the meantime. (I plan on moving out of state in the next 3 years or so, so I don't want to buy another property)....

View more questions Search