Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quietchef Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Live in NV, work out of state
    I recently moved to Nevada which have no state taxes, however, I am a consultant and work out of state M - Th. How will I be taxed?
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Jul 16, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Depends on the state to which you travel for work. If it is California, it has non-resident income tax laws, which require withholding of California state income taxes from your earnings. You will need to check the California 540NR booklet to see if you will be charged tax in California. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a good link for you to view. However, if it is California, you have to file tax forms every year if you earn income in that state, regardless of where you actually live.
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Jul 16, 2007, 11:32 AM
    Here is the California franchise tax board url. I know I'm being presumptuous to guess California, but in case I guess correctly, here you go.

2006 Form 540NR Long / Short, Nonresident or Part-year Residents
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 17, 2007, 12:40 PM
    It does not matter which state.

Federal tax court rulings have long established that the states have the right to tax income earned within their borders, and each state does so with varying degrees of enthusiasm and effectiveness. Much depends on HOW MUCH you earn while working in the other state.

Unfortunately, California is REAL HIGH on the effectiveness scale, so pay attention to what GoldieMae has provided.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live in NH, work for MA company, if relocated to work from home, what about taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

Here is the situation: I currently live in NH and work for a MA company. So far I have been filing as non-resident MA tax. I have a possibility to relocate to my home in NH instead of the office in MA. Here are my questions: 1. Will MA taxes still be deducted from my pay? 2. Should I...

Do you have to register my marriage with the state I live in? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Everyone! I Am Getting Married In Ohio Next Week But I Live In Michigan, So My Question Is Do I Have To Register That Information With Michigan And What Happens If I Don't? If Anyone Has An Answer To This Question It Would Be Very Helpful. Thank You!

Work and live in one state and paycheck comes from another state [ 2 Answers ]

I receive my paycheck from PA but do not live or work in that state yet. May relocate soon. Should they be deducting PA taxes from my check?

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

View more questions Search