What dog breed should I adopt?
    What dog breed should I adopt :rolleyes:
    • maltipoo
    • pekapoo
    • puggle
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 16, 2007, 10:39 AM
    I strongly suggest you go to your local animal shelter and adopt a dog who had been abandoned and is homeless. With the shelter's help, you will be able to find the perfect dog!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 10:43 AM
    Go to akc breeds and read about each one.You will have to look up beagle, maltese,poodles, pugs and pekeinese and go from there. You will also need to ask yourself what you are looking for in a pet ? See if the breed description fits what you need activity level, shedding, temperament, how long they live,possible medical/physical problems must also be taken into consideration. Sit down and write down some of your expections and wants in a dog. Also try to speak to others that may have that breed. It is good that you are checking things out before you buy one rather than later. Good luck.
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Jul 16, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Get online and check rescue groups in your area. If you are set on getting a status-hybrid, there are even rescue groups out there for them. But 1/2 of the breed mixes for these three (maltese, pekanese, and pug) are notorious for bad and expensive health problems. Maybe try a poogle.;)
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 12:07 PM
    I love the idea of adopting a dog from the animal shelter! Just think how good you will feel about saving the life of your pet! Good luck!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 01:53 PM
    No matter what you read about any breed, any dog you select may or may not be what you expect. Several of my labs have wanted nothing to do with the water. Any puppy is an expensive pig in a poke. Even if you have met and liked the parents, littermates are often very different. Puppies often turn out to be sickly. Do a search here on Parvo. Let somebody else go through the misery of a bad placement. Poodle, Maltese, Pekinese, Beagle, and Pug rescues will have mixed breeds. These are dogs that lost their home, but were taken into a foster home to be retrained as necessary and placed in the right home for them. You may find a rescue near you starting at American Kennel Club - Breed Rescue dog dogs puppy puppies The rescues charge a fee to help cover their expenses, but is much less than the price of a puppy plus all its medical expenses the first year. You are much more likely to have a dog you can love than paying a breeder big bucks for a puppy. The ones producing ''designer dogs'' aren't good enough to compete in purebreds.
    LuvMyMaltipoo Posts: 281, Reputation: 39

Jul 16, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Petfinder.com is a great place to start looking. Not only do they have pretty much any kind of dog you could ever want, you will also be helping out a pet that needs a good home. They give you background info and everything. My husband and I used this site to find an English bulldog and realized there is an English Bulldog rescue just an hour away from us. So, instead of paying an irresponsible breeder $1,500 for the dog, we decided to rescue a housebroken, neutered bulldog for only $300.
    Waterdog Posts: 4, Reputation: 3

Jul 17, 2007, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gubbers465
    What dog breed should i adopt :rolleyes:
    • maltipoo
    • pekapoo
    • puggle
    If you are looking to adopt/rescue, it's hard to have a predetermined breed in mind. I did that. I spent 6 months looking for a miniature schnauzer to adopt or rescue. I knew I wanted a smaller dog. I saw a few schnauzers and some other smaller dogs that were cute but when I looked over and saw the eyes of a Black Lab--that was it! I knew she was the one for me and it's been wonderful. She was pretty abused from her previous owner and was shy with me for about a week, then she figured out I OK. She's my constant companion. She's so amazing. I highly recommend rescue. Not sure if this answered your question or not... hope it helped.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 09:56 PM
    I love the idea of rescuing too. I got my great little border collie / lab cross from the RSPCA and you couldn't get a friendlier dog. Plus we saved him just in the nick of time before he was to be destroyed. Now that's a better feeling then paying a fortune for a pure bred any day in my opinion.
    Pook_Myster Posts: 117, Reputation: 38

Jul 17, 2007, 10:12 PM
    :: Tamaruke Australian Labradoodles ::
    love is abby Posts: 114, Reputation: 2

Nov 12, 2007, 12:02 PM
    I'm in theat situation now, to find out the temperament of each breed search the parents and or the two breeds that make the mix you want. Searching the breed really helps, I'm going for a maltipoo!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2007, 12:23 PM
    I hope you looked back at my posting on the first page where I point out a puppy may not grow up to be typical of its breed and you should consider a rescue.
    DogLover62 Posts: 34, Reputation: -1

Nov 20, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Don't just choose a couple random breeds. Search and find some information about breeds and find the best one that will fit into your lifestyle. Or go to a shelter because helping an animal is a great thing to do and its helping the animal you get.

DogLover62
    curious001 Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Dec 24, 2008, 01:16 PM
    You can go to pet finder.com and researdh breeds to get as much information as possible before adopting. You will also find shelters in your area that have the breed you are looking for and advise on how to find good breeders if that is where you want to go for your dog. Please do not buy from a pet store they use puppy mills to supply them dogs and offer NO social contact and you get a dog that may not know how to interact well with people or dogs.

I went to a shelter looking for a Beagle. The staff aske me a few questions and they matched me with my Brittany mix which is a great dog and probably better than any dog I would have found on my own. She is a bit older at five years old. The upside is she was complletely houe broken and well mannered. I have worked with her and we both learned some new tricks. Good luck and I hope you find your new best friend as I did.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Dec 26, 2008, 06:46 AM

I see a lot of posts here but I just wanted add: the "breeds" you listed are, in fact, mixed breeds and people sell these for a profit which gets my goat! These little guys can by found anywhere: shelters, families with an "oops" litter, newspaper, etc. I will say the best part of obtaining a mixed breed dog is that they usually retain the genetic best so you end up with a healthy dog. Purebreds sometimes become too "pure" in their lineage and immune systems and strong traits are weakened.
    Sorry for the soap box! Poodle mixes are great! Only see for annual health exams at my clinic because they are so healthy!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What breed of dog, is my dog Annie? [ 10 Answers ]

Can you help me figure out what kind of dog Annie is? The rescue told me that she was a shepherd mix, but what else? She is the sweetest dog. I have had for over 2 years. She was abused by someone and is terrified of people. She loves other dogs, especially her brother Nicky. It took me over...

What is better for my female dog. To breed her or not? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 2.4 years old lab. I was going to breed her last time but it didn't work. One vet tells me the best thing for her is to have puppies once. Another vet told me she doesn't have to. I want to do what ever it is the best for her. What would be the best for her? Could you please advice me?...

How large will my mixed breed dog get [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Newfoundland Black Lab Mix puppy. He is almost 6 months old. He weighs about 65 pounds. His father weighed about 130 and his mother 80. How big can I expect him to get?

What breed is my dog crossed with [ 5 Answers ]

Hi was just wondering if anyone knows what my staff puppies are crossed with? Thank you. http://13-11-06_1924

Cross Breed Dog [ 0 Answers ]

Inbreeding brings out recessive traits. Closely related dogs are more likely to have the same recessive problems. I have heard of deliberately breeding siblings to see if there are problems. If that doesn't produce problems, then likely there won't be problems breeding to other dogs. So the...

View more questions Search