Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1ferm1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2007, 06:37 AM
    110 Volt Electricity
    What does the neutral wire actually do in 110v electricity do? Is it a grounding wire or?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 06:50 AM
    The neutral and ground are connected together at you electric service. From there, they will stay separated. The difference from there on is, The neutral carries current, and the ground for protection.
    Example: the hot and neutral(black and white) of a drill is used to operate drill.
    The ground is attached to the case. If you drill into live wire, breaker trips, and keeps the drill from becoming live. In Europe they may call it a return.
    BARRICUDA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2012, 11:17 AM
    Which wire is hot, black or white?
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2012, 11:36 AM
    The White(Neutral) and ground(green or bare) connect together at the service.
    The neutral is at ground potential and carries current, the green or ground also at ground potential and carries current from a fault, and the Black is the Hot wire.
    You would read 120 volts between hot and ground and hot and neutral.
    If you measured between Ground and Neutral, it would be Zero, If all wiring is intact.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2012, 11:38 AM
    Black is Hot, Any color can be use for a Hot, Except Green, Bare, White or Gray.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110 volt versus 220 volt mini heat pump [ 6 Answers ]

I have enclosed my screened porch to create more living space(Florida Room). I am using a single zone mini split ductless heat pump for heating and cooling. It has been calculated that I need a 12,000 BTU unit. However, most of these units are available in 110 volts and 220 volts. The 220 models...

3 phase 208 volt/120 volt .load [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to hook up a commercial espresso machine which has a 220 line. My existing electrical box is a 3 phase 208 volt/120 volt. Would this be sufficient to handle this?? Thank you

Changing Thermostat Analog to Digital have 110 volt wires [ 2 Answers ]

I have a baseboard hot water system with a gas boiler. Boiler is 6-7 years old. It has three zones with 3 separate pumps and thermostats. I checked the thermostat wires and they are 110 volts. Folks at the local hardware store I talked to were surprised with the 110 volts but suggested I could...

120 volt outlet from 240 volt outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that it is possbile to wire a 120 volt outlet from a 240 volt outlet. My 240 volt outlet has 3 wires in, white, black, and a ground. Do I wire the 120 volt outlet from the either wire and the ground? My voltage meter indicates that connection is 120 volts. Is there any down side to...

Replacing a 240 volt outlet with a 120 volt oulet [ 1 Answers ]

We've switched to a central air conditioning system and no longer need the 240 volt outlet by the dining room window. The house was built in 1928, updated in 1957, and again a couple of ad hoc times thereafter. The wiring is at times very old, brand new or somewhat old. My guess is that the 240...

View more questions Search