Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cspearson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Standard Deviation
    On one of my homework assignments I had this question:

A coin is tossed 72 times. Find the standard deviation for the number of heads that will be tossed.

Could you please help me get started? Then I will be fine.

Thank you,
    Cheryl
    :confused:
    makdan Posts: 46, Reputation: 3

Jul 15, 2007, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cspearson
    on one of my homework assignments I had this question:

A coin is tossed 72 times. Find the standard deviation for the number of heads that will be tossed.

Could you please help me get started? Then I will be fine.

Thank you,
    Cheryl
    :confused:
    Does your textbook specify a formula for the standard deviation of a binomial distribution?

If not, it's been a very long time since I took probability and statistics, but I believe the standard deviation is np(1-p), where n is the number of trials and p is the probability of success.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 07:39 PM
    This is a binomial event. The standard deviation is sqrt(npq), where n = # of tosses, p = probability of getting a head on any one toss and q = probability of getting a tail on any one toss.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Standard Deviation and Variance [ 11 Answers ]

How do you figure standard deviation and variance when you have a group or list of numbers.

Statistics standard deviation and mean [ 1 Answers ]

A test consists of 80 multiple choice questions, each with five possible answers only one of which is correct. What is the mean and standard deviation of the number of correct answers

Standard Deviation [ 3 Answers ]

The question reads, What is the standard deviation for the sample data below: 154,216,171,188,229,203,184,173,181,147 Round the answer to the nearest tenth. I have done this several times but my answer keeps coming up wrong. Can anyone explain this to me>?

View more questions Search