Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buttons973 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 04:18 PM
    Dvd Rw media not recognized
    My friend purchased a HP Dvd Rw/Cd Rw burner. I helped her to install it in her HP PC. Once we turned the PC back on we noticed the Dvd writer was recognized in the Device Manager stating it was working properly. Note that I never installed any drivers nor got a pop up wizard saying it "found new hardware". So I assumed it was working properly with plug n play.

Here's the problem:

It will play Dvd movies (after I installed an Encoder) and it will play Cd's, but it will not burn data to a Dvd. I checked my media and since the Dvd writer is a 20x (+)(-) I assume the 16x (+) media we're using is fine. To make sure, I tried other media too, but it still gives an error saying insert proper media into drive (this is using the Nero trial).

For some reason the Dvd media is not being recognized by it.

Could someone please tell me what I did wrong with this installation? I'm new to this and I really should know this, but it has me stomped. I really want to try to figure this out before I email one of my Hardware professor's for assistance.

Please advise me what to do, anyone!

BTW, the drive she had in before was only a Cd/Cd Rw. She decided to upgrade to a Dvd/Dvd Rw/Cd/Cd Rr, don't know if this makes a difference with the Bios, etc. This is an older HP PC from 2001 (don't know the exact model#, but it's old :o))

Thanks for any help in responses :o
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Jul 17, 2007, 08:57 AM
    I have the full version of Nero, which has a tool called: Nero InfoTool. It reads the capabilities of the optical drive(s) and reports the read/write features available.

Nero trial may offer the same tool. Run it and see what it reports, then post back.

There may also be similar tools on the 'net, if Nero trial doesn't have it.

See below for an example.

Also double check that your not trying to burn more than the dvd can fit (~4.5GB)... :)
    Attached Images

benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Did the DVD-RW come with driver installation disc? If it did then you should install the recommend drivers and software!
    buttons973 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Reply to HVAC 8888 comment:

Forgive me if I posted incorrectly, I'm still trying to figure out this site.

I will check with my friend to see if it has one of those tools and we will go over the settings as your display indicates.

I didn't think to check her settings for that, but it makes logical sense. Give me a few days to respond, as I'm on HER time, when she finds times :o)) Wish she would bring the PC back to me and let me troubleshoot it more, hard to do over the phone when I'm trying to figure it out for myself :o))

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

XP DVD plays OK CD not recognized [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm running Windows XP Home SP2 on a Laptop. For about 3 years now I've been able to watch DVDs but any kind of audio/music CDs aren't recognized in my D:\ drive. After looking and searching around on my system I just knew that somehow I had Disabled something to do with the DVD CD-ROM ...

Media State. :media disconnected [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. My computer won't connect to the internet it says that a newtwork cable is unplugged although the internet works perfectly well. I tried cmd config /renew and it says the same thing. Does anyone know why my computer won't connect to the internet?

Media State... Media Disconnected [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I have two different internet connections. One, my roommates and I pay for to run torrents, online games, etc. The other is my complex's internet connection which sucks at anything but is used when roommates are sleeping and they are using torrents. My roommate tends to download...

Printer not Recognized [ 7 Answers ]

I am very new to networking. I recently setup a Linksys Wireless network for 3 of the computers in my house. All computers are running XP Pro. I did not use the Windows Wireless Network setup wizard. I simply configured the router then use the provided software with the cards and enabled WEP. I...

USB Device not recognized [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 laptops Toshiba : one is a PORTEGE 7200 and the other Tecra 8000. Both worked perfectly with a USB Wireless adapter Linksys WUSB54G on Windows 2000 until last week. After I installed Windows XP professional, both stopped recognizing the USB wireless adapter. I have "USB Device not...

View more questions Search