Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eian81 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Could it be the navy?
    I'm am stuck in a normal job living a normal life at the mo and I want out, does anybody think the navy would be a choice to try and kick my life in2 action..? :confused:
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 15, 2007, 12:47 PM
    One of my library volunteers is 25 and joined the Navy (minimum four-year enlistment) last fall. He is married, and felt the Navy is a good place for him. He will travel (was in FL for training, is now in VA), will get a college education while in the service, will get regular pay increases, will learn skills he would never learn otherwise, will be trained for a particular career (mechanic -- and had many careers to choose from), can bring his wife along with him and her housing will be paid for, and will have terrific benefits as a vet (for house-buying, medical care). Another reason he chose the Navy is that the Navy is usually support to other military branches that do the actual fighting, like Army and Marines. He figured he has a good chance of surviving if he is sent into a battle zone.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 01:02 PM
    Great answer above, with lots of verifiable support!

I would give the Navy a chance, if that is what you are being moved to do by what you think and by what you feel in your heart. Joining will undoubtedly open up a whole new world of opportunities for you and help to get you excited about what you want to do with your life.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 15, 2007, 01:56 PM
    I forgot to add, my former volunteer looks darn cute in his Navy uniform and nifty hat! All the girls swoon when he walks by.

And Navy vet friends of mine were stationed (as they moved around the world) in California, Taiwan, Japan, Hawaii, various Pacific Islands. They all enjoyed local food (btw, Navy chow is fantastic, I hear) and visiting local tourist attractions, museums, historical sites, etc.

One friend who had been stationed in Hawaii would get together with several buddies and drive out to a stand next to a pineapple field to buy a whole pineapple. The keeper of the stand would go out into the field, chop off a ripe pineapple, bring it to their oudoor table, core it and slice it with a huge sharp knife. My friend told me he has never eaten better-tasting pineapples.

Another friend was stationed in Hawaii, met his future wife there. Months passed. He got stationed elsewhere and she returned to the States (before Hawaii became one of the U.S. states), wrote letters to her, proposed, and then, when he was on leave, met with her on Hawaii where they got married. For major anniversaries, they have returned to Hawaii to celebrate.
    eian81 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jul 16, 2007, 06:44 AM
    Any idea what the age limit is to join?? and what grades u need to apply?.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 16, 2007, 06:54 AM
    The Navy in the UK may be very different from the Navy in the US. The answers you have been given so far are from the US.

Here in the US you must get good grades in school and be 18 to sign up.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Jul 16, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Here is the Royal Naval Careers website;
    Royal Navy - Life without limits
    Check out the FAQ page, it's really informative!

The minimum age for most trades is 16 and you don't need any formal qualifications for some trades (the usual 'big 5' for others)

I would suggest you have fairly good physical fitness before you join, although they will give you time to build this up before you begin basic training.

My older brother is in the Navy and has been for over 20 years now (he joined at 16!) he still absolutely loves it and has seen places and things most people can only dream of! I would highly recommend a military life to anyone who wants adventure, a good social life and great pay!

J
    sexypeach_1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 08:04 PM
    I was in the Navy for 6 years active and 2 more years reserve. If you have ANY questions at all please feel free to email me personally at [email protected]. I will be more than happy to give you the best advise about how to make the military work for you, and when your enlistments up, how for make the government work for you. Also my sister is a US Naval Captain she can also answer a ton of questions. Oh I think the max age for entrance is 28 for first time enlistment, 33 or 34 for prior enlistment but that is for enlisted. I think the max age for enlistment in the officer program is around 34. Hope this helps. Make sure if you join the Navy talk to prior Navy about the right field to go into. Not all of them will benefit you when you get out.
    jasondbel Posts: 165, Reputation: -6

Jan 25, 2008, 09:48 PM
    I served 6 years as well. I was search and rescue aircraft mechanic onboard an aircraft carrier. I was well taken care of but I worked really hard as well. I was pushed so hard that I did not even know what I was capable of. The most important thing to me was I discovered my true self and how strong I really was.. You have to have your job in writing picked out first before you go. A ship is in a war zone just as much as ground troops. Remember the USS Cole. Depends on who you are fighting. Would you rather keep feet on the land or float in a black ocean for months on end? Great way to begin ones life. I make 70,000.0 a year.
    jasondbel Posts: 165, Reputation: -6

Jan 25, 2008, 09:52 PM
    Actually the Navy has the most lenient of boot camps. Navy is more labor and technical than running 20 miles a day. Make sure your job will benefit you when you get out.
    douger2006 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 12:08 AM
    It is a better life if you get your degree and then join. You can join as an officer. But if you just get a two year degree and join as an enlisted, you can apply for Officer Candidate school. You definitely will see the world in the Navy. It will open your eyes. See things people don't see in a life time. It is hard as an enlisted. Very hard work. When you first get to your unit you will do non stop cleaning, non stop watches, qualifications and more. You will be pushed hard. But, once you advance, things get better. You get senority. Study hard and keep advancing. Put in for lots of schools. Make yourself stand out and you will be noticed. Rewards are given and it can be self rewarding. Don't forget this: Keep your head high. There will be times when you think it's just not for me, I can't do this anymore. Look ahead. Look for brighter times. Because brighter times are ahead. STick it out and rewards will be there for you. Good luck
    isabelgopo Posts: 58, Reputation: 7

Mar 12, 2008, 08:27 PM
    Yes guys... Hawaii, Greece, Spain... sounds fantastic. How does Iraq, Afghanistan or Cuba sound to you? Once you sign that contract your life BELONGS to them. They decide your and your family's future. As a navy wife (and I'm just 25 years old) I can tell you that this last 2 years have been a nightmare for both of us and I can't wait for my husband to get out next year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Former roommate never pays rent, breaks lease to join Navy [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all. My name is Chris. I live in Arkansas. This is my first time using this site and it seems like a good place for advice. My problem is this: Me and my best friend signed a lease and moved into an apartment on August 1st of last year. My friend couldn't come up with enough money...

Navy men's sports coat w/what color pants? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a friend who seems to always wear the wrong color sports coat with the wrong color pants. What is the general rule of thumb?

Evil old navy... [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering if anyone knows the name of the song in the new old navy commercial "spring loves stripes". A woman sings it and the chorus goes " daddio, daddio" a few times... Its stuck in my head for hours after I see the commercial so I figure it would make sense for me to at least know...

80's-90's Navy Movie [ 1 Answers ]

I believe it is about the Navy Seals, but I am not sure. I can't remember anything, A women with long blonde hair lives in a beach house, has an officer husband who is not there and she has an affair with a younger navy guy who I think is a navy seal recruit. They have played it on the USA Network...

Old military navy movie [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, for years I have been trying to find a movie I saw as a child that meant a lot to me, I have watched many movies trying to find it and never seem to.. I probably watched it in late 70's or early 80. And then it was probably 20-30 years old... it was about a navy ship with a sorry captain and...

View more questions Search