Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmjdny Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 11:38 AM
    How to take "energy balance in diff frame of references"
    Imagine there are only three bodies in the universe
    1> A gun
    2> A bullet already fired
    3> A wooden block which is target of the bullet and is stationary wrt gun before impact with the gun

All the three observers associated(stationary) with three bodies will see impact then they should have energy balance before and after impact. How?

NOTE: the wooden block will see the gun moving after impact the velocity of which depends on mass and velocity of bullet and wooden block. But the mass of gun can be varied (say in two diff problems) irrespectively hence energy balance is not possible??
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 04:00 AM
    You'll have to explain your question a little better.

Well, nothing happens to the gun before and after impact, so the gun is not part of the system.
    The bullet and the wood when they collide obey conservation of momentum. Most of the kinetic energy of the bullet will go into the new bullet-wood object. Some energy will go into heat and vibration (sound).

I don't understand where you are having a problem. Energy is balanced in every case.

Jul 16, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Dear Capuchin I will elaborate my problem::

While applying Newton's laws only inertial frame of references are permissible and in all these inertial (with no accelaration: def) energy balance is no problem as U have answered correctly

NOW, going beyond newtons premises
    If we say 1) every motion is relative and no frame of reference is special to other
    2) law of physics are same in all frame of references

Then there is no question of qualifying inertial frame of references better over other accelerating frames then can we apply energy balance there too??

Secondly what the wooden block observe:: A bullet came and hit it, there is a rise in temperature AND the gun starts moving then if statement 2 is correct what is the law of physics which makes the gun move?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 01:22 PM
    You're no longer in an inertial reference frame, this means that Newton's first and second laws no longer apply.

Jul 17, 2007, 06:49 AM
    I alredy said "going beyond newton's premises"
    I am talking about relativity:cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

Can not "copy", "paste" and "cut" ! [ 2 Answers ]

Last week, my laptop was infected by virus, I sent for repair. After that, I couldn't find "copy" and "cut", and"paste" is in grey colour ! What have to do to have them back ? Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !

"Capital" in Balance Sheet [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Mr. / Ms. What is the meaning of "Capital" in accounting term? Please explain

View more questions Search