Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nitalecompte Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 07:42 AM
    My husband wants to adopt my son
    We live in Pennsylvania and I just got married and my husband wants to adopt my 7 year old son. The biological father is not in the picture and has had made no attempt to be a part of my sons life. He is not listed on the birth certificate and I have no idea where he lives. Can I just list my husband on the birth certificate? If not what do I have to do for him to adopt?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Hello nita:

Nahhh. Adoption is a legal procedure, and you don't want to screw it up. I'd consult an attorney.

excon
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 08:28 AM
    You'll have to petition the court for a motion to adopt. You'll have to demonstrate to the court that you've made a good faith attempt to locate the father. If you can't locate him then the adoption can proceed without his consent.
    hmcglynn Posts: 31, Reputation: 7

Oct 14, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nitalecompte
    We live in Pennsylvania and I just got married and my husband wants to adopt my 7 year old son. The biological father is not in the picture and has had made no attempt to be a part of my sons life. He is not listed on the birth certificate and I have no idea where he lives. Can I just list my husband on the birth certificate? If not what do I have to do for him to adopt?
    I am currently in the same boat as you are and all you would have to do is just have him sign it. Now if something was to happen to you two later on... he has as much rights to the child as you do. So it could go bad or it couldn't. My suggestion is to go over all the pro's and con's before making any dissions. My best friend let me answer this one cause I was here before looking for advice and mine turned out good, so god bless to you and your family.
    K_3 Posts: 304, Reputation: 74

Oct 14, 2007, 11:41 AM
    It has to be done in the courts. There are some states that allow you to do the paper work yourself, then it still has to be done through the courts. Check on the internet and you can find information about your state and what to do. My husband adopted my daughter and her father was around, but he had not paid child support for a few years. The legality of the situation was, he had to bring all child support current. He could not. Where you have not heard from him, you will have an easy road. Good luck.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Everyone is right - it has to be done legally and have the court documents. You cannot just place your husband's name on the birth certificate.
    Check this site out on terminating parental rights in PA:
    Grounds for Termination of Parental Rights Pennsylvania -
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2007, 03:16 PM
    You are going to need to make an attempt to find the bio father... it is usually you just placing an ad in local newspaper announcing you intent to have your husband adopt your child. The courts in your area will tell you what newspapers and how long to run the ad. If no one responds then you can go ahead with the adoption :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can my husband adopt my son [ 3 Answers ]

I got married in February of 2006. My son was born in June of 2005. The biological father is not in the picture and I would like to know how my husband can adopt my son. We have been looking into him adopting my son since we got married and we haven't been able to find out any information. The...

My husband wants to adopt my son [ 9 Answers ]

So here is the story... My husband and I were married in February. At that time my ex and I were going through a nasty battle in court over whether he was the father of my son or not. Recently we found out that he isn't. So my question is this. I don't know who the father of my son is, but my...

Can my husband adopt my son [ 1 Answers ]

Hey my husband wants to adopt my son his father gave us consent to do you . What do we have to do now. Where do we go to get this done and what does it involve?

Can my husband adopt my son [ 2 Answers ]

I live in louisana with my son, my husband, and my daughter. I am looking into my husband adopting my son. His father and I were never married and have a court order for visitations and child support. He has not seen our son in almost two years or paid child support in almost the same time. I got...

How can my husband adopt my son [ 3 Answers ]

I got married in February of 2006. My son was born in June of 2005. The biological father is not in the picture and I would like to know how my husband can adopt my son. We have been looking into him adopting my son since we got married and we haven't been able to find out any information. ...

View more questions Search