Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ktarry Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 09:34 PM
    How do I correctly wire a new ceiling fan (with a remote) when there are 2 switches?
    I am trying to replace an old ceiling fan (that had a light) with a newer version that has a remote to control both the light and fan. The old fan was wired to work on 2 separate switches - one for the light (I'll call it switch #1) and one for the fan (switch #2). There is a third switch in the room (switch #3) that controls a closet light (more on that later!).

After removing the old ceiling fan, I have 5 wires coming from the ceiling junction box - 2 black, 2 white and one green (ground). Only one of the black wires appears to be "hot", and the hot wire seems to be controlled by switch #1. There is no tape or markings on any of the wires.

The new fan's instructions had no scenario for 2 black/2 white configurations so I simply connected both black wires from the junction box to the black wire on the remote unit, both white wires from the junction box to the white wire on the remote unit, as well as the ground wire. The light, fan and remote were all working fine off switch #1.

Here's where it started to get strange - as soon as I wired the new ceiling fan as described above switch #3 would no longer turn on the closet light unless both switch #1 and #2 were both on. This struck me as odd given switch #3 always appeared to be independent of switches #1 or#2 in the past (i.e. the closet light was not controlled by any switch other than #3 prior to installing this new fan).

Does anyone have any idea how the old ceiling fan would have been wired to allow the closet light to operate independently? Is there any way to change my wiring of the new ceiling fan to correct the problem?

Thanks,
    Ken
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Hopefully switch wiring has not been disturbed, they were fine. If separate fan and light before, you should have capped one off, and connected fan remote black to one of ceiling blacks.
    Should have been 2 greens?
    May be more wires tucked in box.
    May have to remove switches to understand better. Don't change anything, they worked
    Before. If you did, let us know.

Jul 15, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Thanks very much for the quick response. I haven't touched the original switch wiring at all. As you suspected there are in fact two greens (one is connected to the fan and is part of the black/white/green combination that is "cold", the other is part of the "hot" black/white/green (copper) feed and was grounded to a screw inside the juction box).

When you say "cap it off", do you mean at the switch or the junction box? When I cap it off at the junction box, the fan and light work but there is no longer power to switch #3 (i.e. the closet light won't work).

Any thoughts?
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 12:34 PM
    I meant, if you had 2 switches, 1 for light, and 1 for fan, then more than likely, 2 wires were switch legs(light and fan/switchs 1 and 2) from that switch box. Since you didn't touch switch wiring, closet light power may go through fan box, and/or closet light
    Switch leg.
    What is strange, with only 4 wires(not counting ground) you might have:
    Black----switch 1 Light
    Black----switch 2 Fan
    White----Neutral
    White-- Doesn't make sense, if switchleg for closet light, would need 1 more, In and Out.
    Even without tester, may be able to remove switches, closet light, and have access to fan boxes
    And may get a good idea what is going on.

Jul 15, 2007, 02:59 PM
    Thanks again - I agree it doesn't really make sense. I suspect it has something to do with the effect of the pull strings on the original fan in conjuntion with the 3-way switches. I'm going to have an electrician take a look at it and let you know how that turns out.

Cheers,
    Ken
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 06:05 PM
    It should not take too long. Hope all goes well.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 08:28 PM
    First things first, disconnect the fan and wire it as it was before. You can even wire the old fan back in place if you like. Confirm everything works as it did before, if not some other wiring was accidentally disturbed and you will have to trace it.

Report back.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Jul 17, 2007, 03:55 PM
    I had an electrician come in and fix the problem. I wasn't around when he was here but here is what he wrote on the invoice:

"Tripped out GFI receptacle in main upper bath, causing power failure to back bedroom and master closet - reterminate GFI with no load - side connections reset."

"Reconfigured wiring to master bedroom ceiling fan, remount wall switch to control light. Bypass old fan switch."

I understand the second paragraph. First one I don't understand, but it sounds suspiciously like I screwed something up...

Thanks for all your help.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2007, 07:19 PM
    You did not screw anything up by tripping GFI. It happens.
    Reterminate, may be reconnect. Side connection reset, don't know.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2007, 03:46 PM
    Sounds like the GFI was wired wrong. Hope it didn't cost too much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did I wire my fan correctly? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just replaced an old fan with a brand new Hunter unit which has a different wiring configuration. In the ceiling box I have a Ground, Red, Black, and White wire. The Hunter fan has a Black, Black/Black White, Green, and White. So per Hunter's instructions I connected the whites...

Ceiling fan not wired correctly [ 4 Answers ]

I and neighbor put in a ceiling fan in the bathroom. It seems that the fan is not blowing the steam out. The fan is designed for a larger bathroom. I'm not a electrician but my thinking is to reverse the wiring to the poles so that the fan will work in the correct direction so that it will blow...

Ceiling fan w/ 3way switches for light and 1 way for fan [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a ceiling fan that has 3 switches that control the light and 1 that controls the fan. I have 4 wires coming into the box for the fan (black, red, white and grnd). The new ceiling fan has a remote that has to 2 lead wires that are supposed to be connected to the source and 4 (2 for...

Ceiling fan with light kit on separate switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently replaced a ceiling fan with light kit with a newer model. I hooked up the wires from the new fan/light to the same wires in the ceiling box that the old fan was hooked up to. There are two switches on the wall plate, one for the light and one for the fan. When I hooked up the new...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

View more questions Search