Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RedaDav Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 05:01 PM
    Underage father seeking custody of his daughter.
    My son will be 17 next month. His daughter is 7 months old. Him and his girlfriend broke up and he is wanting to pursue custody and in the meantime, at least get visitation rights, as she is refusing to allow him to see his daughter. I have gone to the court house in the county we live in as well as the court house in the county where she lives and both have told me that he is unable to file any type of paper work because he is under age. They have both informed him that he must hire a lawyer in order to do anything. The lawyer I spoke with has a retainer fee of $7500. As a single parent myself, it is not an easy task to come up with such money. Does anyone have any info for me on lawyers that help young fathers in his situation or as to what he can do legally without it costing us so extremely much?
    Shaunta Posts: 204, Reputation: 8

Jul 14, 2007, 05:05 PM
    How old is the girl? I don't see why he wouldn't be able to.. if he is able to make the baby he should or they should let him take care of the baby or be able to file to keep the baby
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 14, 2007, 05:07 PM
    His guardian ( parent) can file on his behalf, There is no legal requirement that anyoe has to have an attorney. Filing with or without an attorney is still filing.

Also check with legal aid society, or merely pay them by the hour to merely fill out the original filing.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RedaDav
    The lawyer I spoke with has a retainer fee of $7500
    Hello Reda:

Your son needs a lawyer. Lawyers are like used cars. Some cost a lot - some don't. I think you need to shop better. There ARE a lot of unemployed lawyers out there - LOTS. Hire a hoopti.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father seeking child custody of an unborn child [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get partial custody to my unborn child? The mother refusing to name me as the father. I know I can file after the baby is born, but I want to be there for the birth of my child.

Seeking Custody [ 10 Answers ]

I'm posting the following for my husband: What is the name of your state? Illinois I'm dealing with some issues with my ex. We are due in court on the 11th of July, she has filed for an increase in child support and she wants me to pay full medical insurance and 100% of medical bills that...

Father Seeking Custody of Infant [ 12 Answers ]

Introduction to situation... Mother had baby, left marriage the day the baby was brought home from the hospital and moved in with parents. Mother has now asked for a divorce, and tells father he'll only be able to see his newborn every other weekend, and never for an overnight time until she's at...

Long story.father wants custody of daughter [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Writing on behalf of a friend... The story is this, last year he had a dna test for his 8yr old daughter-and yep he's the dad (from very short relationship). Since then he's been seeing her every week for a couple of hours.the mother has had some mental health issues in the past & the...

Father Seeking DNA of Adult Child [ 2 Answers ]

In Texas, can a man sue an adult child for a paternity test to determine if he is the father. The mother signed a court document stating that she never had sex with the man, which is not true. A different man,The father that was on the birth certificate gave up his rights and the child was...

View more questions Search