Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sara356 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Can disabled lady go to jail over credit card debt?
    [F]
    My mother is a disabled 49 year old lady. She has no job and her only means of money is a small SSI check. She also receives a small amount of food stamps. She has a court date in August over credit card debt. The debt owed is 4,100.00. She had promised to pay the company 25.00 a month on the debt as this was all she could afford. This was accepted by the company for some time however they are now suing for the full amount. She doesn't even have any extra money for a lawyer to help her much less enough to full out pay it off. All she owns is an old car and a 1978 mobile home that is falling apart. If she does not pay the amount in full on her court date will she go to jail? Also, will they take her car and home? If so is there any help out there for her?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 02:26 PM
    I am sorry that your Mother is experiencing the problems she is. It is important that she brings all the proof (cancelled checks & bank statements) to show that the company was accepting $25 per month payments and suddenly changed their minds. If she has written proof from a government agency that recognizes her disability, that will help her too. I doubt very much a Judge would send her to jail over this. What usually happens is, the plaintiff will win a judgement against your Mother and they can then freeze her bank accounts and/or place liens against any properties your Mother owns.

As a person with a disability, there is some help out there for her. Since I don't know where your Mother lives and if there is State specific help out there for her, please click on the link I am providing. Get in contact with these people on Monday and find out what her options are:

NDRN -P&A/CAP System

I hope this helps. I wish your Mother good luck.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 02:38 PM
    In Ohio they can not take SSI checks. I am pretty sure that this is for the rest of the statesas well. As for jail I would think they would have to prove that she purposefully tried to defraud them. For the moblile home and car they may get those but would it be worth their time. My guess is the judge will have them keep accepting the 25 that she has been paying. As ruby said make sure she takes proof of the payments that she made and they accepted. Btw what state are you in?

Jul 14, 2007, 03:07 PM
    I am in Tennessee. Thank you.
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 03:11 PM
    Sara, the web site link I provided allows you type in your state. In case you haven't looked at it, here is the link when Tennessee is typed in:

NDRN - Tennessee

Please contact them on Monday for further guidance on your Mother's situation.

By the way, the plaintiff cannot just take your mother's SSI checks if they win a judgement against her. But, they can use that judgement to freeze any bank accounts your mother may have.
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Sara honey, here is another link that you can use to for additional information and help:

Legal Aid in Tennessee

Jul 14, 2007, 03:49 PM
    Thank you so much
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 14, 2007, 03:56 PM
    First, debtor's prison ceased to exist by the end of the 19th century. So no matter what your mom will not go to jail. No one is jailed over debts they can't pay.

As noted SSI is not attachable. All your mom has to do is show up in court with her tax statements, disability award statement, etc. As long as she can prove her only income is SSI and she has no other assets, while they may win a judgement, there is nothing for them to attach.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 14, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Unless there was fraud on her part, using the card with full knowledge that she could not pay. If there was fraud, then they could press criminal charges, but this is a civil case and they can only get a judgement at this point and time
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sara356
    [F]
    My mother is a disabled 49 year old lady. She has no job and her only means of money is a small SSI check. She also receives a small amount of food stamps. She has a court date in August over credit card debt. The debt owed is 4,100.00. She had promised to pay the company 25.00 a month on the debt as this was all she could afford. This was accepted by the company for some time however they are now suing for the full amount. She doesn't even have any extra money for a lawyer to help her much less enough to full out pay it off. All she owns is an old car and a 1978 mobile home that is falling apart. If she does not pay the amount in full on her court date will she go to jail? Also, will they take her car and home? If so is there any help out there for her?

SSI check and payment into her account are exempt from levy and garnishment, even if they get a judgment they cannot take her money. Read this post ,and make sure she informs the court of it.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...evy-86065.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi When my ex-boyfriend and I split up we had some credit cards together which we split among us and we agreed to take each others name off the cards we each took. Yeah right!! He had started paying it through credit counselling but one day claimed bankruptcy, because my name was still on the...

Credit card debt [ 7 Answers ]

I had a sheriff show up with papers for me to go to court for a credit card company, owe them money from 7 or 8 years ago of course the finance charges have been building since then. What happens to me if I don't go to court that day? Will I have a warrant out for my arrest?

Credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mobile home (trailer) and I pay to park it in a trailer park. I am in debt with credit cards... in two weeks I will be laid off work. Can the credit cards take my trailer? This is considered personal property... trailer is paid for. Thanks, Marge

Credit card debt [ 20 Answers ]

Can a credit card company clam from your house ?

View more questions Search