Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Inspired Posts: 178, Reputation: 22

Jul 14, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Following Maintenance schedule for 2002 Accord?
    It is a must to follow the Maintenance Schedule for my Honda Accord. I bought it brand new in 2002 and now it has 78 K miles on it. I have not had any major problems, I have replaced the break shoes twice. I go every 3000-4000 miles for an oil change. The maintenance plan they have recommend is $425 and it includes the following:

*Balance tires
    *Replace engine air filter
    *replace wiper inserts
    *check operation of horn, winshiseld wipers, parking break and lights
    *check all fluids and top off
    *install moc premium engine treatment
    *clean and adjust rear breaks
    *lubricate all lockes and hinges
    *lubricate door openinds
    *Check battery

It seems a lot to be paying. I would rather just do the ala carte service for the transmission fluid and the engine treatment.

Any advice would be helpful as I am a woman and do not know much about cars lol.
    Ernie T Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired
    It is a must to follow the Maintainence Schedule for my Honda Accord. I bought it brand new in 2002 and now it has 78 K miles on it. I have not had any major problems, I have replaced the break shoes twice. I go every 3000-4000 miles for an oil change. The maintainence plan they have recommend is $425 and it includes the following:

*Balance tires
    *Replace engine air filter
    *replace wiper inserts
    *check operation of horn, winshiseld wipers, parking break and lights
    *check all fluids and top off
    *install moc premium engine treatment
    *clean and adjust rear breaks
    *lubricate all lockes and hinges
    *lubricate door openinds
    *Check battery

It seems alot to be paying. I would rather just do the ala carte service for the transmission fluid and the engine treatment.

Any advice would be helpful as I am a woman and do not know much about cars lol.
    Good Afternoon. $425 is a lot for those items... suggest saving the lump sum for your timing belt maintenance around 100K and having a "Jiffy Lube" or similar provide a full service for less than $100.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 02:33 PM
    There are several important items that are being overlooked in your preventive maintenance program. You need to operate off the complete Honda Maintenance Schedule. Here's what I would recommend:

Txgreasemonkey Recommended Preventive Maintenance

1. Oil and Filter--Use full-synthetic 5W-20 engine oil; e.g. Mobil 1. Change oil and filter every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.
    2. Manual Transmission Fluid--Amsoil Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (5W-30). Change every 30,000 miles. AMSOIL - Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF) 5W-30
    3. ATF--Amsoil Universal Synthetic ATF. Change every 30,000 miles, along with filter. AMSOIL - Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid
    4. Coolant--50/50 mixture of recommended antifreeze and distilled water. Change every 3 years.
    5. Brake/Clutch fluid--Valvoline SynPower or ATE TYP 200 Brake Fluid. Change every 2 years.
    6. Air filter--change every 24,000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first.
    7. Fuel Filter--Change every 60,000 miles or 48 months, whichever comes first.
    8. Spark Plugs--Only use NGK spark plugs. Change platinum plugs every 48,000 miles or 48 months, whichever comes first.
    9. Timing belt and water pump--Replace every 90,000 miles or 7 years, whichever comes first.
    10. Fuel injector cleaner--Add every 6 months.

The objective is to maintain "like new" performance for years and years. A well-maintained Honda should be able to go 350,000 miles.

As a woman, you really should be using full-synthetic engine oil. It offers the protection you require, in this day and age.
    Inspired Posts: 178, Reputation: 22

Jul 14, 2007, 04:53 PM
    Txgrease Thanks for your list, I will print it out and get it done. Do you recommend I go to honda to get these things done or a Jiffy Lube? I have always gone to Honda to get things done just because when I was in graduate school I had an old lexas and would take it to the "jiffy lube types" and they would always mess something up. Maybe they didn't mess anything up and my car would just die but I was always a bit cautious. What do you think? "
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Honda.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2002 Honda Accord Radio Error [ 22 Answers ]

This question was asked by another user but I have the same problem: --I recently replaced my battery and immediately after that I had stereo problems. The LED on the stereo says there is an error and also my alarm light is blinking in the upper left-hand corner of the stereo. I'm not sure if...

2002 Honda Accord Radio Error [ 3 Answers ]

This seems to be a pretty popular question here, DOES anyone happen to have this code, I also just had to replace my battery and I cannot find the paper that my code was written on!! Its horrible driving my car without the code =( PLEASE HELP!! -Rebecca

2002 Honda Accord Heater Problem [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has a 2002 Honda Accord (4 cyl). It will not blow warm air and the engine temp gauge is showing warm. My husband has replaced the thermostat that he purchased from a local parts store, but that didn't help. Now he has taken the car to a local mechanic. He is wanting to put on a...

2002 Honda Accord elec. Problem [ 3 Answers ]

Since March my '02 accord shuts off & on while I'm driving it at random.I took it to a dealership & they said it was the ignition wiring harness, they replaced it & it had been OK... until last Friday, when it started shuting off & on again.It does it at random times, and as time goes on it does it...

View more questions Search