Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cbax31 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Removing a Paid Judgement in MD.
    This medical bill for $400 was not my responsibility. I was injured in a work accident in Maryland and all bills were covered by my PA state workers comp. The total of all bills was around $200,000 yet this small bill from the day of injury was not paid, I sent many letters and copies to the attorney and the insurance company requesting this be resolved. This ended up in a judgement in MD against me, then finally a few weeks later the insurance company paid the bill and fees, now it shows up as a satisfied judgement but is still crippling my credit score. I sent in a motion to vacate but it was denied. I disputed with the 3 credit agencies and 1 removed them but the other 2 kept it as valid. Is there anything I can do at this point? I am an injured worker caught in the middle and everyone has been paid here but I am the one being affected for up to 10 years.Thanks in advance for any help..

Jul 29, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Can anyone offer me any advice on this please?
    jaxbuyer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2007, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cbax31
    This medical bill for $400 was not my responsibility. I was injured in a work accident in Maryland and all bills were covered by my PA state workers comp. The total of all bills was around $200,000 yet this small bill from the day of injury was not paid, I sent many letters and copies to the attorney and the insurance company requesting this be resolved. This ended up in a judgement in MD against me, then finally a few weeks later the insurance company paid the bill and fees, now it shows up as a satisfied judgement but is still crippling my credit score. I sent in a motion to vacate but it was denied. I disputed with the 3 credit agencies and 1 removed them but the other 2 kept it as valid. Is there anything I can do at this point? I am an injured worker caught in the middle and everyone has been paid here but I am the one being affected for up to 10 years.Thanks in advance for any help..
    I'm not a legal professional, but am in a similar situation. Your problem (and solution) is with the original creditor not the attorneys or the insurance company. The medical provider is the one that filed suit, so they are the only one that can dismiss it.

"A Motion to Set Aside Default Judgement" would be used if you could prove you were not served or some other law was violated by the creditor in obtaining the judgement. But if you cannot prove wrong-doing by the creditor, the best avenue you could try is to get the creditor to AGREE to vacate the judgement. If the creditor is the original one (the medical office that provided service) you could take all the paperwork into them showing it was really a Workers Comp issue and not your personal issue. They would sign a legal document - a "Stipulation to Vacate Judgement" - essentially saying Plaintiff (them) and Defendant (you) agree to vacate (dismiss) this judgement because the debt has already been satisfied by the responsible party. This is similar to reaching a settlement in a lawsuit. It has to be in the legal form the court will accept (case number, etc) and be signed and entered by the judge. Once this is done, a Notice of Vacate will be sent to you from the court which you can then send to the bureaus.

In order to MAKE a judge vacate a judgement you have to show a legal cause (improper service, illegal procedure, etc) and not being the party ultimately responsible for the debt is not illegal procedure in the courts eyes. But if both parties AGREE to vacate, the court will enter it as vacated.

If the original creditor has been paid and can see it was just a red tape issue with WC, they should have no reason not to sign an agreement to vacate - especially if you go in with all the proof that you worked hard to see that they were paid and already have the agreement all filled out and ready for them to sign. It's a simple piece of paper, but it may be worth a few hundred bucks to have an attorney draw up and file. The original creditor may also be more receptive to working with an attorney in getting the unfair judgement dismissed. They see that you are serious and are usually more receptive and professional with an attorney.

Aug 18, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Thanks for the great response.. Here is where this now stands.

I called the attorney representing the original creditor

They stated they did not contest my motion to vacate I had filed about a year ago and they do not know why this was denied by the judge. They said to call the court clerk.

I called court clerk and they said they did not see an explanation on why my motion was denied. They said since it has been over a year there is nothing I can do but write a letter to the judge and that probably won't help.

I wrote a letter to the judge yesterday

Now is there any legal action I can take? Is it truly too late to file another motion? Do I really just have to hope the judge takes action based on my eltter even though all parties agree it should be vacated?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing Paid items from credit report [ 3 Answers ]

How do I go about removing zero balance items from my credit report, or should I even be trying to? If I need to remove them, do I contact the creditor? I am very new to this, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, does anyone know what the codes stand for on the report? Example:...

Removing faucet handle after removing screw on top [ 7 Answers ]

My hot water is leaking.. I remove the top screw on the handle; the handle won`t come off.. should I try and pry it off or is there another screw somewhere that I don`t know about? This is a two handle-one spout faucet.

Removing paid collections [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way to have a paid collection removed from my credit report without waiting the 7 years? The collection has been paid for 2 years, but the collection agency keeps reporting the credit bureaus. It's odd they always report it paid, but it just keeps extending the 7 years. I've asked them...

Just found a Judgement on my credit that was paid before court? [ 5 Answers ]

I ran my credit report for the first time in 4 years. I see I have a judgement in the public record section. This debt was paid in full 1 day before the court date!! I have the proof that I paid the debt in Full. Does anyone have any idea how I go about having that judgement totally removed from...

How do we get a paid judgement off our credit reports [ 1 Answers ]

A company placed a judgement against my husband because they could not find his partner who had bought our company. We paid the judgement and have the paperwork stating this. How do we get this off our credit report? Sandy Murdock

View more questions Search