Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ilovepool Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 05:09 AM
    No dial tone, but DSL works
    I live in an older duplex that has only one phone jack in the whole place. I'm no longer getting a dial tone, but the DSL (which is obviously plugged into that same jack) still works. The phone company says they get a dial tone at my box outside. I have tried different phones and my TiVo on that jack, and get the same results-- no dial tone, but something that sounds like an extension is off the hook from the phone and a "failed, no dial tone" message from the TiVo. If there's a short, why does the DSL still work? When you call my phone number, it goes directly to voice mail.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 05:40 AM
    First unplug everything, but computer, try a phone.

Maybe not a short, but a load(phone off hook)may be another phone on your line off hook. May be accident or intentional. Listen to the noise, neighbor?
    If Phone company says you have dial tone outside, Then you have DSL filter at Incomming? Look for voltage, if telco gets dial tone, should be about 48 volts DC,
    If off hook or busy, maybe less than 9 Volts DC.
    Strange when you call your house it rings busy, but they say you have dial tone?
    Can you unplug your line at Test point, then call, if it rings and rings then inside wiring.

Jul 14, 2007, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovepool
    I live in an older duplex that has only one phone jack in the whole place. I'm no longer getting a dial tone, but the DSL (which is obviously plugged into that same jack) still works. The phone company says they get a dial tone at my box outside. I have tried different phones and my TiVo on that jack, and get the same results-- no dial tone, but something that sounds like an extension is off the hook from the phone and a "failed, no dial tone" message from the TiVo. If there's a short, why does the DSL still work? When you call my phone number, it goes directly to voice mail.
    I should add the following:

I have a filter on the phone. I have tried two different filters, as well as plugging the phone straight into the jack and I get the same results each time.

I never have the TiVo and the phone plugged into the jack at the same time. There is only the DSL and the phone OR the DSL and the TiVo plugged into the jack at any given time.

I do not have an alarm system, or anything else which would also be using the phone line.

The phone and TiVo modem did work fine up until a few days ago.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 05:48 AM
    How about the line cord, also look in jack, at the gold pins, not green or black.
    Remove jack, and measure voltage. Pins at jack can short between each other, look carefully and see if 2 have crossed.

Jul 14, 2007, 05:52 AM
    Thanks for your suggestions, Stratmando!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    First unplug everything, but computer, try a phone.
    Ok, I tried that and it didn't help.

Maybe not a short, but a load(phone off hook)may be another phone on your line off hook.
    I'm not sure how-- I'm positive I only have one phone jack in the house, so another phone is not the problem.

If Phone company says you have dial tone outside, Then you have DSL filter at Incomming? look for voltage, if telco gets dial tone, should be about 48 volts DC, If off hook or busy, maybe less than 9 Volts DC.
    I'm not at all electronically inclined. I don't know how to check this. I do have a DSL filter, and I've tried using two different filters as well as plugging directly into the wall. Same results each time.

Can you unplug your line at Test point, then call, if it rings and rings then inside wiring.
    Good suggestion. I unplugged everything from the jack and called my line from a cell phone. Still goes straight to voice mail.
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 05:59 AM
    Did you look in jack at pins and try different line cord?

Jul 14, 2007, 06:20 AM
    I did try a different cord. No help. I'm on my way out and don't have time to look inside the jack but I will when I get home.
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 06:25 AM
    You said earlier, sounded like phone off the hook, and you live in a duplex, People can accidentally or intentionally hook up to your phone line, by accident?
    I would look in thephone jack with flashlight(Where you plug in line cord), Then remove wall plate and look at wires, and look at wires outside from telco, in the box, if a place, unplug and plug in your phone for test, then plug removed line, back in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Dial Tone, But When Calling Rings and Rings [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a two line jack that was working fine a few days ago, but now Line 2 has no dial tone and when calling, it rings and rings. Also, on my Panasonic 2 line phone (KX-TG2740), the line shows up as off the hook, except when I try a test call to the number. Tried another phone and...

Phone is active outside No dial tone w/ inside wiring [ 6 Answers ]

:( Older townhome with red green black yellow wires from jacks. Incoming lines are blue /white, orange/white, green/white, blue/red, brown/white, grey/white and vs.versa. All jacks have been disconnected and I have tested the first incoming jack with blue/white, white/blue to the red and green...

No dial tone [ 9 Answers ]

Can somebody help me with this. I just had my phoneline activated. However, when I lift the handset, no dial tone is present. But what's weird is that, I can receive incoming calls. Anybody else who shares my experience? Please give me some tips on how to resolve. Thanks in advance!

No dial tone [ 2 Answers ]

Over a couple of days my phone service deteriorated until there was nothing. Then, after a day, the ADSL came back (that's how I'm doing this) but not the dial tone. I unplugged all the phones and put them back one by one, but still nothing. Any suggesitons? Verizon is going to charge me...

No dial tone but phone rings [ 5 Answers ]

I have no dial tone but the phone rings very low when someone calls and when I pick it up it's dead except for another low ring on other end. I live on second floor of garden apt. could the person below me have punctured the line coming up from the NID with a nail or screw maybe hanging a picture...

View more questions Search