Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gigiw214 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Garnish wages in SC for federal student loans:
    Hello? Gigiw214 , I just found this website. After searching through different topics I could not find a clear answer to my question? We live in the state of South Carolina. I want to know is it legal to garnish wages for a federal student loan. Do they have to notify you that they are going to garnish your wages? I would greatly appreciate any information on this topic. Thank You: gigiw214
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 13, 2007, 12:15 PM
    They cannot garnish anything without obtaining a judgement against you. However, federal debt, (IRS, Student loans, etc.) are usually exempt from prohibition against garnishment.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 07:49 PM
    It is perfectly legal. Have they obtained a judgement against you? They should have and you should have been presented with a notice so that you could defend yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who can legally garnish your wages? [ 10 Answers ]

I would like to know who has the right to legally garnish your wages? If you purchase a vehicle and have to turn it in due to not being able to pay for it can they garnish your wages? Also if you were in the National Guard and you received pay after you were deployed but were sent back due to...

How do I garnish someone's wages? [ 5 Answers ]

I won a judgement from an individual (whom won't pay). How do I start the process of garnishing his wages?

How do I garnish wages in Georgia? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a landlord that won an eviction and judgement against my tenent. The tenent has not paid the judgement. Also I do not know where they live or work. What can I do to garnish their wages?

Can my wages be garnished for spouses student loans? [ 6 Answers ]

A company we have never heard of before is threatening to garnish my spouses wages because we can not pay what they are asking us to pay. My wife is currently a stay-at-home mom and has no income. Can my wages be garnished for her student loan debt? Can our joint bank account be garnished?

Disability wages to garnish [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if the State of Florida will garnish disabilty wages from social security on child support. Court order my exhusband to give me any benefits he was receiving on behalf of my son in leiu of back pay in child support, but he kept everything... PLEASE HELP

View more questions Search