Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 9, 2006, 11:56 AM
    It's OK to call me friend I consider it an honor. : )
    About God's name, true, the exactly pronunciation was lost due to the beliefs that developed later. Some say that Yahweh or Yahveh are the closest to the original. Others use Jehovah. In that way they strive to heed the constant commands that God's name be glorified and made known. It has to be kept in mind that the name "Jesus" is pronounced differently in every language. Yet if you call upon him he knows it is him who you are calling upon. So in a sense it's the effort to heed the instructions that is commendable. It is also commendable that the Jews strive not to misuse God's name. But of the two efforts I feel that the one which strives to heed the commands of making it known is to be preferred.

But please let me clarify something very important. I do not feel that mere pronunciation of God's name or avoiding using it in vain is enough to make a person righteous in God's eyes. Above all things God looks at a person's heart and judges accordingly.

1 Chronicles 28:9
    "....for the LORD searches every heart and understands every motive behind the thoughts...." NIV

Also, God promises to make such knowledge available to everyone on earth.

Habakkuk 2:14
    For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.
    NIV

So our lack of knowledge in this area is just temporary. : )
    milliec Posts: 262, Reputation: 55

Apr 9, 2006, 12:54 PM
    Hi Starman!
    Thank you for allowing me to consider you my friend - I really mean it- and it'a an honour to me as well.
    As to God's name: among these mentioned by you, the most resembling the full Hebrew version is:JEHOVAH.
    I fully agree that what really counts is one's moral conduct and what really lied buried in ones heart.
    I mentioned before that I do not consider myself a religious person since I regard the different religions as sort of "political entities"
    I regard myself as a believer: by which I mean someone who really strives to have a moral conduct in life and whose acts do not oppose what lies within.
    Millie :)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 9, 2006, 02:09 PM
    Good Orderly Direction
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2006, 12:47 PM
    Tim Walker... :)
    My God has several names.
    Among then are Yahweh, Lord, El, Yah, Adoni, Eel elyown, Eel shaday, Elohiym, Emanuel, and even Jealous (see Exodus 34:13 for that name). Those names have different meanings such as Yahweh meaning "I Am" so that is a name of God in English. Then there is "He", "I", and "God Most High", as a name, and "Lord", and "Lord of Hosts", "God Almighty", "God With Us" as a name, and even "Father, Son and Holy Spirit" as the name of the one God (see Matt 28:19).
    By the way the word God is not a name but rather it is a title like Master or Mister (such as Mr. Walker) or Doctor, or Father (such as with Father Smith).
    Peace and kindness,:) :) :)
    Fred (arcura)
    -

Apr 19, 2006, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura
    Tim Walker.....:)
    My God has several names.
    Among then are Yahweh, Lord, El, Yah, Adoni, Eel elyown, Eel shaday, Elohiym, Emanuel, and even Jealous (see Exodus 34:13 for that name). Those names have different meanings such as Yahweh meanin "I Am" so that is a name of God in English. Then there is "He", "I", and "God Most High", as a name, and "Lord", and "Lord of Hosts", "God Almighty", "God With Us" as a name, and even "Father, Son and Holy Spirit" as the name of the one God (see Matt 28:19).

All the words you mention except two are titles.

About the scripture cited, first, in order to understand what is meant, one has to know what part of speech is being used. In this case the word "jealous" is functioning as an adjective which modifies the noun "name". If the scripture had said his name is "Jealousy", a proper noun, just as all names are, then it would mean what you claim it means. As it stands. It simply refers to his name, YHVH or YHWH or JHWH JHVH carrying the connotation of God's personality which tolerates no other gods before him

The KJV Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon
    Strong's Number: 07067 Browse Lexicon
    Original Word Word Origin
    annq from (07065)
    Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
    Qanna' TWOT - 2038b
    Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
    kan-naw' Adjective
    Definition
    jealous (only of God)
    </TD

King James Word Usage - Total: 6

Ex 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

Ex 34:14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

BTW
    The addition of a capital letter to the word "jealous" is a translator taking liberties since the Hebrew word is not of necessity given a capital first letter unless the translator were injecting his own opinion into the text.

In reference to the others:

"Lord" is a title just as president, or premier or king is.

"Adonai" means lord. Which is also a title.

"Yahweh," is simply one of the accepted forms of the divine name and cannot be considered a separate name from that given to Moses.

"Yah," is a shortened version of the name of God given to Moses and does not constitute a different name.

"Eel shaday," = God Almight= a title

www.sonofdavid.org/parashot/bud_g/VaEra.doc
    ... Isaac and Jacob as God Almighty (El Shaddai), and did not allow them to... Va'era el-Avraham el-Yitschak ve'el-Ya'akov be'El Shaday ushmi Adonay lo...
    www.sonofdavid.org/parashot/bud_g/VaEra.doc

El= almighty=another title

Elohim means God. A word indicating plurality of majesty. It is invariably translated as God. The following two scriptures are an example.

Genesis 6:2 (King James Version)

2That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

Exodus 4:16 (New King James Version)
    Copyright &#169; 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

16... And he himself shall be as a mouth for you, and you shall be to him as God.

"Emanuel" applies to the Messiah whom the Hebrews certainly didn't consider to be God.

"Eel elyown" means "most high"-another title.

Worshipping in the Temple
    ... appeared to Abram, and said unto him, ('aaniy Eel-Shaday) I am the Almighty God; walk before me... "And he was priest of Eel Elyown' the most high God...
    rivkah.org/030130.htm
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2006, 11:32 PM
    Thanks for that.
    Fred
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Apr 21, 2006, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by milliec
    Well, in Hebrew,"JEHOVAH" is derived from the root of the verb to be, but is a combination of future, present, and past, in one word. I'm not familiar with any other word in Hebrew wich has this combination. This is, as far as I know, to make us acknowledge the eternity of our GOD, and also, to make us keep in mind that he is the CREATOR of ALL - he made everything BE!
    millie

It is 'probable' that yahvew is from the Hebrew root 'to be' but after that your explanation is theological not linguistic.

All verbs have the same characterstic as the verb 'to be' unless they are accompanied by a modifier. Introducting a theological element into linguistic simply because that is how we like to think about language does not necessarily lead us to truth.

The nearest we can get to the answer Moses got when he asked who he should say sent him is;

"Tell them that he who is sent you." It does no violence to the Hebrew or to the sense of it to render it as "tell them the living god sent you." To live is to be.

From the Hebrew it seems evident that the name of the god of israel is not known. Yahveh means 'the self-existent one,' and so forth, but it is a description, not a name. Likewise, Elohim means "the gods." It is a masculine plural and echoes many Old Testament passages which speak of multiple deities.
    -

Apr 21, 2006, 09:11 PM
    The word Elohim is not unique to God and its pluraity it that of majesty and is not necessarily to be taken literally. The word is even applied to people, who are not trinities but who are worshipped, to idols, and even to angels.

Abarim Publications'

Biblical Name Vault
    —meaning, origin and etymology of the name Elohim—
    http://www.abarim-publications.com/A...es/Elohim.html
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2006, 09:49 PM
    Yahweh had a son.
    Allah did not.
    Therefore Allah is not the same god as Yahweh who is the one true God.
    That is what I believe.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura
    -

Apr 21, 2006, 10:51 PM
    Yahweh had a son.
    Allah did not.
    Therefore Allah is not the same god as Yahweh who is the one true God.
    That is what I believe.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura

Yet they claim to worship the same God described in the OT and the NT.
    They view Jesus as a great prophet and say that the promised helper Jesus mentioned and which Christians say is the holy spirit is really Mohammed. I don't understand how they can say that Jesus was a great prophet and say he was lying about his identity at the same time. Maybe someone more familiar with the Muslim religion can explain it.
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2006, 07:25 PM
    This has turned into an interesting discussion.
    Of course I believe in the one true God who is a triune being; three persons in one being.
    That leaves Allah as he is thought to be (as one person one being) out of my belief system and not God nor the person Abraham believed in.
    By the way Jesus Christ (the Word of God also known as God the son) prayed to God the Father.
    And since I am thoroughly satisfied with that belief, other discussions are interesting to me but not influential.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    -

Apr 22, 2006, 07:45 PM
    The expression "God the Son" isn't found in the Bible. Abraham, believed that God is one and passed that belief down to his descendants the they have always retained that original view. In fact, the trinitarian concept, which is alien to them, is one of the reasons they don't accept Jesus as Messiah.

BTW
    I too find the discussions interesting but not influential in my belief that Jesus is not God almighty and that the Israelite view of God as one is the correct one.
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2006, 07:53 PM
    In the name of God The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirt.
    Jesus is God the Son.
    He even said so and agreed to it when Thomas called Him God. It is in the Bible
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    -

Apr 22, 2006, 10:21 PM
    In the name of God The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirt.
    Jesus is God the Son.
    He even said so and agreed to it when Thomas called Him God. It is in the Bible
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    First, I am not judging your status before God. So please don't interpret my comments in that way. But as you know, not all Christians understand those scriptures the way you explain them. If I say "In the name of decency I send you to correct the situation!". What I mean is for the sake of decency. I don't mean that decency is a literal person. In reference to Thomas, we who are not trinitarians understand Thomas was exclaiming. Just as one would say "My God! Did you see that?" to someone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search