Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Americans set new mark for giving
    Americans gave nearly $300 billion to charitable causes last year, setting a new record and besting the 2005 total that had been boosted by a surge in aid to victims of hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma -- and the Asian tsunami.

Donors contributed an estimated $295.02 billion in 2006, a 1 percent increase when adjusted for inflation, up from $283.05 billion in 2005. Excluding donations for disaster relief, the total rose 3.2 percent, inflation-adjusted, according to an annual report released Monday by the Giving USA Foundation at Indiana University's Center on Philanthropy.

Giving historically tracks the health of the overall economy, with the rise amounting to about one-third the rise in the stock market, according to Giving USA. Last year was right on target, with a 3.2 percent rise, as stocks rose more than 10 percent on an inflation-adjusted basis.

"What people find especially interesting about this, and it's true year after year, that such a high percentage comes from individual donors," Giving USA Chairman Richard Jolly said.

Individuals gave a combined 75.6 percent of the total. With bequests, that rises to 83.4 percent.

The biggest chunk of the donations, $96.82 billion or 32.8 percent, went to religious organizations. The second largest slice, $40.98 billion or 13.9 percent, went to education, including gifts to colleges, universities and libraries.

About 65 percent of households with incomes less than $100,000 give to charity, the report showed.

"It tells you something about American culture that is unlike any other country," said Claire Gaudiani, a professor at NYU's Heyman Center for Philanthropy and author of "The Greater Good: How Philanthropy Drives the American Economy and Can Save Capitalism." Gaudiani said the willingness of Americans to give cuts across income levels, and their investments go to developing ideas, inventions and people to the benefit of the overall economy.

Gaudiani said Americans give twice as much as the next most charitable country, according to a November 2006 comparison done by the Charities Aid Foundation. In philanthropic giving as a percentage of gross domestic product, the U.S. ranked first at 1.7 percent. No. 2 Britain gave 0.73 percent, while France, with a 0.14 percent rate, trailed such countries as South Africa, Singapore, Turkey and Germany.
    Anyone still think America is selfish, self-absorbed and stingy?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2007, 09:23 PM
    North America in general is very wealthy. Most have more then we need. There is so much waste. Do I think we can give up more in order to help more people. I think so.

As far as america being self absorbed I agree.

As far as selfish and stingy, no.

Everybody can do better though, right?
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jul 16, 2007, 06:25 AM
    Of course we're stingy. "Rich" means "stingy" in the liberal/globalist lexicon, and everyone in the USA is "rich". Didn't you know that? And we don't give nearly enough... as long as we are still "rich" and others are "poor" (defined as "wanting something someone else has") then America isn't giving enough. Only when wealth is completely redistributed will America have given enough... so that everyone is equally poor and nobody is left to support those in need.

"Tax the rich to feed the poor until there are no rich no more."

---I'd Love To Change The World by Ten Years After, 1971

It was a stupid concept then, and its still a stupid concept now.

Elliot
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine
    Of course we're stingy. "Rich" means "stingy" in the liberal/globalist lexicon, and everyone in the USA is "rich". Didn't you know that?
    I know, you're rich, I'm rich, we're all rich... except for all those poor folks suffering from oppression at our hand.

And we don't give nearly enough... as long as we are still "rich" and others are "poor" (defined as "wanting something someone else has") then America isn't giving enough. Only when wealth is completely redistributed will America have given enough... so that everyone is equally poor and nobody is left to support those in need.

"Tax the rich to feed the poor until there are no rich no more."

---I'd Love To Change The World by Ten Years After, 1971

It was a stupid concept then, and its still a stupid concept now.
    So when we're all equally destitute, what will we have to give to our neighbor when he squanders his share?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Americans retiring in Spain [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I are near retirement age and want to explore our options as far as place of retirement. We lived in Granada, Spain, in 2001 and loved it. If we moved to Spain, how would we handle health care? Is it possible to received Medicare, or is there another option? What happens with...

Culture traits of americans [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. Does anyone know what a culture trait is? What are some culture traits of americans?

Illegal Americans [ 7 Answers ]

Hi my name is Diego, I'm 18 years old and I live in Denver Colorado. I'm an Illegal immigrant of the united states, I crossed the border when I was nine, I didn't know what I was doing, I didn't have a choice. Over the time I forgot about my culture, and were I came from. I have become what I...

Racist Americans [ 122 Answers ]

----------THREAD IS SOLELY MEANT FOR INDIANS,ESPECIALLY in INDIA----- You know I just quit my job today, and I can't explain how relieved I feel about it.Used to work as a tech support in a BPO , outsourced in India with most customers calling from america .To a point where I realised that the...

Shoot-set and Quick-set Combo [ 2 Answers ]

I have not seen this yet, but I haven't seen everything... lol I was thinking that these two misdirection sets could be used in a single play because the quick-set causes the opponent to position, dig-in, and focus on the quick-set hitter, but the ball could be shoot-set along the net for anyone...

View more questions Search